Seasick tablets available on Royal Caribbean not need the

10 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

The fact is as you have just stated you have a problem with your inner ears. This is not shared by everyone and the people who do not share your condition will not get seasick. It is just a fact of life that it is how you were born. No one can change what they are or how they are. It is just life.

So you are saying that all people who do not have a problem with their inner ears will not get seasick?  What about those who do have an inner ear problem and don't get seasick? My husband is in that category. 

Edited by possum52

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

So you are saying that all people who do not have a problem with their inner ears will not get seasick?  What about those who do have an inner ear problem and don't get seasick? My husband is in that category. 

That is not what I was saying. I was saying every body is different and wired differently and things are not the same for all people. The cause of seasickness is a psychological perception problem where the brain is confused by conflicting signals from the bodies sense organs. In the case of your husband his balance receptors probably do not work too well at all and results in not getting seasick.

As previously explained this sickness is psychological. It can only happen because the balance receptors in the inner ear are detecting motion and movement where the eyes are not seeing movement. These two conflicting signals confuse the human brain and it reacts by inducing nausea and vomiting to expel what it precepts as an attack on the body. 

On 11/29/2019 at 10:56 AM, Brisbane41 said:

It always has been mind over matter. It is a psychological condition.

It is most definatey not psychological.  The fact that some people can use their mind to overcome sea sickness makes their solution "mind over matter", it doesn't mean that others who can't have a psychological deficit.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:56 AM, Brisbane41 said:

To be very basic the balance receptors in your ears are detecting movement and on a ship your eyes are registering no movement. This confuses the brain which senses the body is under attack and induces nausea and vomiting.

This is quite a good explanation of what is happening to the body to cause the feeling of nausea.  Balance receptors (physiological) and eyes (visual receptors and also physiological) are creating a physiological conflict in the brain wherby the body, believing it has ingested poison wants to throw up.  This is a basic built in survival mechanism that has allowed more than just the human species to survive eating the wrong foods.

Many people do get used to it and the body learns that it does not need to reject the "poison".

On 11/28/2019 at 9:38 PM, valantine80 said:

Some crew members have told us to eat green apple and maybe with a little salt on it.

When my brother was venturing to Antartica  on a small ship from Hobart several years ago, some doctors in Queensland Health recommended Phenergan tablets, easily obtainable here.

The ships doctors often inject Phenergan for sea sickness.  Personally I find ginger ale flavoured with a little scotch does the trick.

Re the horizon, looking at that in a real rough sea makes me queasy sometimes.  th.jpg.3605a3590a808a7e289760809af65754.jpg  Good full English brekkie will fix you up, at least you will not dry retch.🤣

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The ships doctors often inject Phenergan for sea sickness.  Personally I find ginger ale flavoured with a little scotch does the trick.

Re the horizon, looking at that in a real rough sea makes me queasy sometimes.  th.jpg.3605a3590a808a7e289760809af65754.jpg  Good full English brekkie will fix you up, at least you will not dry retch.🤣

I now use phenergan when sailing and when flying. It seems to work quite well for me. Green apples help with nausea. I have tried ginger tablets but they didn't help.

Yes, looking at the horizon  when the seas are rough is not easy and is nausea inducing for me too.

Leigh