“Rebooking” for fare drop - does that change cruise booking date (insurance question)

erdoran

We have a few future cruises booked using our Chase Sappire Reserve card’s cancellation coverage.  They have a six month look back period for pre-existing conditions.  At the time these were booked we were both “clean”; however subsequently my husband has been ill and if we were to book a new cruise today, he would definitely have a pre-existing condition.

If I wanted to take advantage of a Black Friday or other price drop, is my original booking date going to hold and I just loose or change my perks, or is my actual booking date going to become the date I switched to the price drop fare, which would pretty much void our trip protection?

I read an old blog on Steve from Trip Insurance Store’s blog which sounds like my original booking date holds unless I get a refund and re-pay my deposit, but I wanted to check to see if that is how NCL handles things - original deposit date is booking date, and my invoice total and perks are the only things that are adjusted.

Anyone have any experience with this?  TIA

We spoke to NCL Monday, they offered to cancel our original booking, lose our £50 each deposit and book our original room with savings of £1300 nett, we declined cancelling our booking and rebooked a suite for the cost of the original booking, and with more perks, we are very pleased.

My Encore cruise for September 2020 had 4 price drops so far. On my latest cruise confirmation that was emailed to me , the booking date did not change

make sure you ask for a price adjustment, if you are before final payment they should be able to change it without canceling

I recently went through a cancel and rebook process before final payment to get the 20% past guest discount on my cruise. They stuck to their guns and we had to cancel the existing reservation -and everything that went with it - then generate a new booking and start over.  The new booking was a full start over including the date. We also had to make a new deposit before our old deposit was refunded. 

I think the best answer is that it depends.  From comments posted on CC, it sounds as if NCL is rebooking rather than adjusting, but it might also depend on who you talk to - you can call NCL 6 times and get at least that many answers🤩.

As to your insurance, with the commercial plans they always say the date is from when you made your first payment toward the trip and as I see it, if a person has the paperwork saying when they booked the trip, regardless of your reservation number, that initial date would hold true.  But in that case, the policy would already be in place.

With the Chase policy (I have preferred, so a little different), it's somewhat murky.  I've only used Chase to make my final payment, so that would be the date they have.  They talk about trip coverage but I don't know that I've seen anything about how the dates work with respect to deposits, final payment and cruise date.

If I were to guess, I would say that your final payment date might be the date they would use, regardless of any changes, since any payments before that time are fully refundable.   I would send an email to Chase and ask them what date they use to start the lookback (that way you have it in writing if it becomes an issue).

PS - please come back and let us know what you find out.

Unless someone has used Chase it is impossible to answer this question. OP needs to coordinate with NCL and Chase. In addition OP should look carefully at the definition of a preexisting condition. Not every illness generates a "preexisting condition"