Trinidad

WallyNDiane

Looks like Princess is one of the few cruise lines that include Trinidad as a port stop. The Trinidad port on the Caribbean port boards has very few postings. The U.S. travel warnings on Trinidad is quite frightening. We are thinking of staying on the ship.

Despite not being the correct board, I am seeking any information from past Princess cruisers who have been to Trinidad. Thanks.

I was there twice this past winter, both times on a Sunday and the downtown area was very quite - no shopping except the stalls right at the port. There were some tourist guides in the area offering maps and tips on where to walk.   I walked around a fair bit with no issues, not many local people around but did hear that some passengers were warned not to go in some areas by police.   There are a lot of modern office towers downtown as well as some nice colonial buildings.  At the port there were lots of people offering tours. 

I will be back there this coming winter and am doing a tour organized on the roll call  with Island Eco Cultural tours

• Like 1

We have been there before and will return in Feb of 2020, but we won't get off the ship this coming cruise. The only way we would go ashore there is with a Princess tour. There is not much close to the port, the nice beaches are some distance away, not walkable, and it is far better there to be with a group and a trusted guide. 

• Like 2

About three (maybe four) years ago we took a Princess tour on Trinidad. It was the “Caroni Bird Sanctuary” tour. The tour is about 3 hours long and you spend most of that time on a boat going on a river through jungle. There were lots of birds but most of them were a ways off. It was fun and I would consider taking this tour again.

We've been there once & we would never return. Just walking around town we were warned repeatedly not to venture into certain areas by the locals. 

If it's on your itinerary I would either stay on the ship or do a tour only through Princess.  

You can make small purchases right on the pier from the local merchants who set up their tents the day the ships are in. Downtown there are no bargains to be had.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, Waynetor said:

There are a lot of modern office towers downtown

as well as some nice colonial buildings. 

A few pics I've saved...

the shot with fireworks was a New Years Eve pic, some years ago.

Port of Spain.jpg

PoS Independence.jpg

DESKTOP-Boissiere house PoS.jpg

Fretwork1.jpg