I can't seem to find insurance

mitsugirly

30 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We'd strongly suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com ASAP in case there is an appropriate policy.

GeezerCouple, I thought your post was very insightful.  I admit I do not know what the OP's intent regarding primary coverage is.  I think she's already contacted TripInsuranceStore and she said they have nothing to accommodate her needs.  Honestly, given TripInsurance's rep, that's mostly why I think she's in a pickle.  If they can't help her, I'm not sure who could.

I agree that barebones insurance can be useful in certain, limited circumstances - and it sounds as though OP would like a preexisting condition covered should issues arise during her trip.

I most heartily agree that OP needs to talk to a real live licensed agent asap. 

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

If OP has no health insurance, then why is "primary" a concern?  If there is only one insurer, then there's no jockeying for position.

??

GC

I don't think any of the carriers she's seen will write coverage without a primary carrier in place.  I suspect they're not planning on getting stuck covering expenses as though they're the primary.  I guess in my head I'm seeing it as you don't even apply for Medigap insurance until you have your handy Medicare card in hand.  I know a lot of times when I've applied for 'event' insurance coverage, they always asked for primary carrier, which for me was employer-based until Medicare time.

20 minutes ago, greykitty said:

I don't think any of the carriers she's seen will write coverage without a primary carrier in place.  I suspect they're not planning on getting stuck covering expenses as though they're the primary.  I guess in my head I'm seeing it as you don't even apply for Medigap insurance until you have your handy Medicare card in hand.  I know a lot of times when I've applied for 'event' insurance coverage, they always asked for primary carrier, which for me was employer-based until Medicare time.

Maybe OP is a Veteran and gets all medical care from the VA.

For travel insurance purposes where you are required to have a Primary provider, the VA does not meet that standard.

48 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Maybe OP is a Veteran and gets all medical care from the VA.

For travel insurance purposes where you are required to have a Primary provider, the VA does not meet that standard.

Could be - OP never mentioned having Tricare, though.  

image.png

Edited by greykitty

No, I'm not old enough for any of those insurances. I have NO insurance. My employer doesn't offer it.

As I stated I hurt my leg and had surgery several months back. My doctor has signed a release statement that I am good to travel and everything else with no limitations. HOWEVER, I'm only looking for coverage that will cover anything IF something was to happen. Falling and breaking my leg with plates and screws put in without insurance has shown me just how expensive the unexpected can be. I just want to be covered IF something was to happen and I got hurt. I'm not looking to get hurt and I know it doesn't cover anything unless you had an injury or sickness arise.

As another mentioned, some won't cover you UNLESS you have a primary insurance to pay out first and they pay out as secondary. So, I have to have coverage that pays as a primary.

I have to wonder why it is suggested to only call tripinsurancestore.com? Are you saying the other places that people have suggested and used on here are not valid? Or that other agents online are not legit? Just wondering why.

34 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I have to wonder why it is suggested to only call tripinsurancestore.com? Are you saying the other places that people have suggested and used on here are not valid? Or that other agents online are not legit? Just wondering why.

I haven't seen anyone make that statement. Jumping kind of fast to conclusions there

Why WOULD I say that though? Because his reputation proceeds him and I trust him 100%. Just as I'll go with what Heidi and Chengpk75 says about captaining or engineering a ship over any others.

However, that does not mean anything disparaging against the fine folks at insurmytrip or anywhere else.

I see that you said one company suggested TravelSafe. I have to wonder what the discrepancy is with that company considering Steve sells TravelSafe also. Misunderstanding? Miscommunication?

Tripinsurance.com has a stellar reputation on these boards - that's certainly why I said if that company wasn't able to offer any coverage, it'd be unlikely any other company of equal quality and reputation would find suitable coverage, as I think the OP has discovered.

People can buy health insurance on their own before they age into Medicare.  In fact, many US people don't have employer-provided insurance; in recent years, many obtained insurance with help via the ACA navigator or just through their own insurance agents.  Or, depending on income limits, there's Medicaid.

I don't want to get into the entire US health insurance discussion here, though! LOL  I know it can be expensive here, even if you are fortunate enough to have an employer who subsidizes the premiums.  An insurance agent or broker would be able to walk anyone through what's available and what it covers, but it's not going to be inexpensive if it's offered by a reputable company.

Also, and forgive me if I'm reading this wrong - it sounds as though the OP only wants health insurance for the duration of this trip?  If not, and the OP really wants to get health coverage for herself and perhaps her family, it may be time to sit down with a reputable insurance representative and figure out what's what.  And ACA enrollment period for 2020 ends December 15 if she wants to explore that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2019 at 3:43 PM, mitsugirly said:

I have and actually had them picked out...until I "chatted" with a rep online about the policy. They went over the primary/secondary insurance info and the per-existing info and it wouldn't cover me according to the rep.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/lp/ppc/general.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA9dDwBRC9ARIsABbedBNuA_S4YAtui9d5reuKOM8yAh6RtFzNRl9QrdlBegFn-e6MBBtWAuEaAv85EALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trip insurance&utm_content=&utm_campaign=TI Core Executive