I can't seem to find insurance

mitsugirly

We just booked a cruise, leaving in less than 3 weeks. I have been looking for insurance coverage (with the main purpose of getting it is medical). I can't seem to find anything (after looking for days) that is appropriate for my situation. 

My story: I do have a heart condition (extra heartbeats that I take medication for to limit the extra heart beats) and have had this condition for many years. There have been no changes for years and fingers crossed I would never have an issue while cruising...but you never know. 

The next big thing is I fell and broke several bones in my leg back in August. I had a surgery to place plates and screws. I had a second surgery in September due to an infection. So these policies have this "look-back" stipulation which eliminates me being able to get a policy. 

The other issue is I also need an insurance that doesn't say that they only pay as secondary and require your primary insurance to pay first.

I'm thinking it might be impossible to find any insurance that would cover me but thought it was worth a shot to ask.

Look Back doesn't stop you from getting coverage, it just cause issues regarding pre-existing conditions.

I'd give Steve a phone call at 888-407-3854 and I'd bet that he could recommend a policy.

Steve is at Tripinsurancestore.com

• Like 1

Have you tried https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-insurance-quotes#single_trip? Agreed that the pre-existing conditions is relevant only if you have an issue related to those conditions, but there are policies that cover some pre-existing conditions, depending on what they are and how long it has been since you had any major issues (so if your heart issue has bee well-controlled with meds, you should be able to get coverage for heart-related problems). Might be expensive, but you can determine whether the benefit is worth the cost. The Squaremouth site also allows you to compare policies side-by-side. 

Good luck - hope to see you onboard on the 14th! :classic_smile:

On 12/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, klfrodo said:

Look Back doesn't stop you from getting coverage, it just cause issues regarding pre-existing conditions.

I'd give Steve a phone call at 888-407-3854 and I'd bet that he could recommend a policy.

Steve is at Tripinsurancestore.com

But it is one of the reasons I want it...just in case I have any problems with those issues then I won't have to worry. I did do several chats with Tripinsurancestore and their policies didn't seem to fit my needs with the per-existing conditions and primary insurance coverage.

1 hour ago, JMTtor said:

Have you tried https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-insurance-quotes#single_trip? Agreed that the pre-existing conditions is relevant only if you have an issue related to those conditions, but there are policies that cover some pre-existing conditions, depending on what they are and how long it has been since you had any major issues (so if your heart issue has bee well-controlled with meds, you should be able to get coverage for heart-related problems). Might be expensive, but you can determine whether the benefit is worth the cost. The Squaremouth site also allows you to compare policies side-by-side. 

Good luck - hope to see you onboard on the 14th! :classic_smile:

I searched a lot of threads last night and did see someone mention squaremouth. They do seem to have some policies that would be just what I'm looking for.

When I first booked, there was a post somewhere on here that mentioned 3 different companies. When I went looking for it again, I couldn't find it (which is the reason I made this post, hoping someone would mention them again). This person posted that those 3 companies are mostly used by people on here. I still for the life of me can't find that post.

Hopefully squaremouth will be able to give me what I need. It sounded like it when I messaged them in chat and told them my situation.

Have you looked at the GeoBlue policies? They have primary medical and cover pre existing conditions. They also cover evacuations.  The policies are not available in several states and they do not cover other travel related items such as cancellation and trip interruption.

4 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Have you looked at the GeoBlue policies? They have primary medical and cover pre existing conditions. They also cover evacuations.  The policies are not available in several states and they do not cover other travel related items such as cancellation and trip interruption.

I have and actually had them picked out...until I "chatted" with a rep online about the policy. They went over the primary/secondary insurance info and the per-existing info and it wouldn't cover me according to the rep.

6 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I have and actually had them picked out...until I "chatted" with a rep online about the policy. They went over the primary/secondary insurance info and the per-existing info and it wouldn't cover me according to the rep.

If it is not too personal, I would be curious to know which plan you looked at and why it wouldn't cover your situation. I don't have the detailed plan documents available right now, but I thought the annual Trekker plans both covered pre existing conditions. I also thought the single trip Voyager choice plan also covered pre existing conditions. I believe the Voyager Essential plan was the only one that excluded pre existing conditions for medical services coverage.

I know the plans that cover pre existing conditions for medical require you to have regular primary health insurance, but have you found other restrictions.

15 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

If it is not too personal, I would be curious to know which plan you looked at and why it wouldn't cover your situation. I don't have the detailed plan documents available right now, but I thought the annual Trekker plans both covered pre existing conditions. I also thought the single trip Voyager choice plan also covered pre existing conditions. I believe the Voyager Essential plan was the only one that excluded pre existing conditions for medical services coverage.

I know the plans that cover pre existing conditions for medical require you to have regular primary health insurance, but have you found other restrictions.

There's the answer. They don't do both (as stated in my original post). I need one that covers as primary AND pre-existing. 😞 

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

There's the answer. They don't do both (as stated in my original post). I need one that covers as primary AND pre-existing. 😞 

Hopefully this is not semantics with the word primary, but my understanding is you must have regular health insurance (the primary insurance) but if you have a claim, GeoBlue will pay as primary.  I actually posted this question a few weeks on the Steve Dasseos forum.  I also have  geoBlue Trekker policy.

There have been posts on this forum that speculate why you must have a regular insurance plan in order to purchase one of the 3 GeoBlue policies we have been talking about.

Sorry, are you saying you don't have primary health insurance?  I'd be extremely careful regarding any broker/insurer who says they'll write you coverage if tripinsurance.com couldn't find you a suitable travel policy.  I'd hate to see you spend money on premiums on worthless insurance.  

13 hours ago, greykitty said:

Sorry, are you saying you don't have primary health insurance?  I'd be extremely careful regarding any broker/insurer who says they'll write you coverage if tripinsurance.com couldn't find you a suitable travel policy.  I'd hate to see you spend money on premiums on worthless insurance.  

Correct. I did find some promising policies on Squaremouth that seem to be good for both items that I'm looking for. Are you saying any other sites out there (mentioned here) I should stay away from? I don't want to have to spend money on something that's not going to benefit me if I have to use it either.

11 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

@mitsugirly If greykitty's interpretation is correct and you have no health insurance at home, then you have been given correct information and unfortunately none of the GeoBlue plans will work for you.

Right. That's why I made this post...because I need both and all of the policies on insuremytrip (including Geo) did not cover both. There are a few on Squaremouth it looks like and I have chatted with them.

On Squaremouth, the following policies seem to cover what I'm looking for. Let me know what you think or if anyone has ever used them.

IMG, TravelSafe, John Hancock.

There is a filter area that you can check the boxes for what you are looking for. I did check Emergency Medical, Medical Evacuation, Pre-existing Medical and Primary Medical coverage.

All have coverage that waive any pre existing conditions if the policy is purchased within 14-20 days after final payment. Per the policies and fine print:

Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion The exclusion for Pre-Existing Condition will be waived provided:a) Your Payment or Deposit for this Policy and enrollment form are received within 20 days of the Date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received; andb) You are not disabled from travel at the time Your premium is paid.

Medically Fit to Travel ExclusionThe Company will not pay any expense as a result of You having been advised in writing that You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member or Business Partner booked to travel with You are not Medically Fit to Travel, as defined in the Policy, at the time of purchase of Coverage for a Trip. If Coverage for a Trip is purchased and it is later determined that You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member or Business Partner booked to travel with You were not Medically Fit to Travel, as defined in the Policy, at the time of purchase of Coverage for a Trip, the Coverage is void and premium paid will be returned.

The online agent I chatted with told me to be on the safe side, they would get a letter from my doctor, which I did, stating I was to travel and even scuba dive, without restrictions. This should cover it.

As for the primary insurance, I checked the box to only bring up plans that have primary coverage.

It states: Even if you have medical coverage, primary coverage will pay your medical claim first and there is a $0 deductible. It also states your medical coverage will be processed faster and there will be no wait on treatment.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has ever used these policies.

Thanks so much for your help.

On Squaremouth, the following policies seem to cover what I'm looking for. Let me know what you think or if anyone has ever used them.

IMG, TravelSafe, John Hancock.

There is a filter area that you can check the boxes for what you are looking for. I did check Emergency Medical, Medical Evacuation, Pre-existing Medical and Primary Medical coverage.

All have coverage that waive any pre existing conditions if the policy is purchased within 14-20 days after final payment. Per the policies and fine print:

Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion The exclusion for Pre-Existing Condition will be waived provided:a) Your Payment or Deposit for this Policy and enrollment form are received within 20 days of the Date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received; andb) You are not disabled from travel at the time Your premium is paid.

Medically Fit to Travel ExclusionThe Company will not pay any expense as a result of You having been advised in writing that You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member or Business Partner booked to travel with You are not Medically Fit to Travel, as defined in the Policy, at the time of purchase of Coverage for a Trip. If Coverage for a Trip is purchased and it is later determined that You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member or Business Partner booked to travel with You were not Medically Fit to Travel, as defined in the Policy, at the time of purchase of Coverage for a Trip, the Coverage is void and premium paid will be returned.

The online agent I chatted with told me to be on the safe side, they would get a letter from my doctor, which I did, stating I was to travel and even scuba dive, without restrictions. This should cover it.

As for the primary insurance, I checked the box to only bring up plans that have primary coverage.

It states: Even if you have medical coverage, primary coverage will pay your medical claim first and there is a $0 deductible. It also states your medical coverage will be processed faster and there will be no wait on treatment.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has ever used these policies.

Thanks so much for your help.

[emphasis added]

It looks like you have a mis-match there (see bolded red). 

Have you just recently made your INITIAL payment?

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

[emphasis added]

It looks like you have a mis-match there (see bolded red). 

Have you just recently made your INITIAL payment?

GC

My initial and final are the same date. ;)   We booked 11/23 and are leaving next Saturday 12/14 for the cruise. I'm within the 20 day period still.

My initial and final are the same date. 😉 We booked 11/23 and are leaving next Saturday 12/14 for the cruise. I'm within the 20 day period still.

Okay, but that was certainly not clear from the way you phrased your post that I quoted.

It would have been helpful (and helped all of us to help you) if you matched them up (or explained why the seemingly mis-match was not a problem).

GC

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

Okay, but that was certainly not clear from the way you phrased your post that I quoted.

It would have been helpful (and helped all of us to help you) if you matched them up (or explained why the seemingly mis-match was not a problem).

GC

Oh sorry about that. I didn't realize that I had typed final (or even initial in the copy and paste from their policy). I wasn't really paying close attention to that warning since (in my case) it didn't really apply to me whether it was initial or final because they were the same date. I guess I just assumed that when I initially posted, I said that I had just booked the cruise and the cruise was in less than 3 weeks (which 3 weeks is 21 days and I have 20 days to get the insurance therefore people here being cruisers know that I would have had to book and pay in full for the cruise). Sorry for the confusion and I appreciate the help and you catching that phrase and looking out for me (had it applied to my situation).

I'm just throwing this out there to complicate things further.

I don't think there is ANY travel insurance out there that covers you if you do an extreme sport. I believe scuba diving is considered an extreme sport. I believe the only insurance you can get coverage for this is through PADI.

I admit that I may be wrong on this.

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I'm just throwing this out there to complicate things further.

I don't think there is ANY travel insurance out there that covers you if you do an extreme sport. I believe scuba diving is considered an extreme sport. I believe the only insurance you can get coverage for this is through PADI.

I admit that I may be wrong on this.

Actually they do. There's a button on there for extreme sports and you can do a drop down and even pick scuba diving. ;)

Honestly, I think you're in a pickle and really need advice from a live, reputable licensed insurance broker, preferably face to face.  Even if your online chat agent is a licensed broker, they cannot bind the insurance for you IME; everything is subject to underwriting as I understand it.  Even when I applied for my Medicare supplement, and as a first time enrollee I knew I had guaranteed issue, the phone agent was legally required to mention that caveat.  I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but insurance is complicated and the devil is in the details. 

I suspect any primary coverage you'd be offered at this late date would be non-ACA compliant, bare bones, pretty much useless insurance, and with your health history as mentioned on these boards, I'd be looking sideways at any insurer who doesn't want to do underwriting first even if they're telling you guaranteed issue  - and I suspect lots of restrictions and fairly high premiums if they do write the coverage.  How do these companies cover expenses incurred outside the US?  

Also assuming you have declined or don't have access to employer, spousal, COBRA, Medicare or Medicaid, ACA, or any type of group coverage.  

54 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Actually they do. There's a button on there for extreme sports and you can do a drop down and even pick scuba diving. 😉

Thank you for correcting me. I've learned something new today. Therefore,,,, I'm taking the rest of the day off 🤣

3 hours ago, greykitty said:

Honestly, I think you're in a pickle and really need advice from a live, reputable licensed insurance broker, preferably face to face.  Even if your online chat agent is a licensed broker, they cannot bind the insurance for you IME; everything is subject to underwriting as I understand it.  Even when I applied for my Medicare supplement, and as a first time enrollee I knew I had guaranteed issue, the phone agent was legally required to mention that caveat.  I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but insurance is complicated and the devil is in the details. 

I suspect any primary coverage you'd be offered at this late date would be non-ACA compliant, bare bones, pretty much useless insurance, and with your health history as mentioned on these boards, I'd be looking sideways at any insurer who doesn't want to do underwriting first even if they're telling you guaranteed issue  - and I suspect lots of restrictions and fairly high premiums if they do write the coverage.  How do these companies cover expenses incurred outside the US?  

Also assuming you have declined or don't have access to employer, spousal, COBRA, Medicare or Medicaid, ACA, or any type of group coverage.  

If OP has not yet checked personally (that means by phone or in person, NOT by reading "online information", which likely does not show all of the "if's"), then that should be done ASAP.

I am not an insurance expert, such as the person OP should be speaking directly with (and not anonymous internet folks, knowledgeable or not), but the "good" policy that can be purchased circa "final payment" and includes pre-existing conditions has a requirement that the policy be purchased within 24 hours of that final payment (which is defined a bit narrowly; one cannot just add some extra later, like a beverage package, after paying the full cruise or air fare, etc.).

An expert CAN help here, regardless of whether it is good or not so good news.   But at least it would be reliable, and obviously, based upon what the traveler states in the discussion.  IF there is some condition that is not met, then even if the policy is taken out while thinking it should provide coverage, once a claim is filed, it may turn out to be denied.

There may not be actual "medical underwriting" other than just excluding *any* pre-existing conditions, which are - again - defined specifically...

We'd strongly suggest calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com ASAP in case there is an appropriate policy.

As an aside, I don't think travel medical insurance needs to be ACA compliant to provide good coverage; it's not meant as general health insurance.  Travel insurance needn't be "bare bones", and can be very useful, including in OP's situation *IF* OP had started the insurance "in time", which is a key issue here.

NOTE: It would be very interesting to learn if that 10-21 day window would indeed "work" in a situation like OP's, with a very late initial (and full) payment - to provide the full coverage.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 1