Comin’ at you Live from Valor

Organized Chaos

Lol! And that is why I now pack for my hubby! He has been known to forget important items, as well. And I start my packing about 1-2 months prior to cruise, armed with checklists. That way, if something needs to be bought for cruise, I know well in advance. 

My wife kept saying, “You need a list. You need a list.” Ok ok, maybe I’ll make a list next time.

I'm really interested to know is this typical to 1) this ship/this ship size 2) the Gulf of Mexico 3) the time of year. I had planned to immediately book my next cruise when we got back and received our discount email. But I haven't because I won't cruise again if it's that bad.

This is our 3rd Conquest class ship. Conquest a few years ago was pretty smooth (northern Caribbean). Glory last year (southern) had one rolling night, but not as bad as this one. Those were in the summer. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s the Gulf this time of year.

Update on my military appreciation pin.

First, I got some mail earlier today. CD Kevin gave all of the Veterans who attended the gathering a hand-written note thanking us, a picture of the Valor that he signed, and a wooden “Thank You for Your Service” token. Also included was a card from the charity he donates to, OperationThankYou. That’s very thoughtful of him and I greatly appreciate it.

He announced that he was going to be at the Build-A-Bear event, so I went there and met him in the hall. Thanked him for the card and other items, we exchanged pleasantries, and I told him about losing my pin. He said he’d get me a new one. I figured he’d just give one to our steward, but we just passed him in the hall with one of his Fun Squad members a little bit ago. He delivered it to our cabin personally. Color me impressed. I’ll say it again, despite what I think of him as a CD, he’s earned my respect with the personal attention he’s given those of us at the military gathering and me personally. Good on ya, Kevin.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Update on my military appreciation pin.

First, I got some mail earlier today. CD Kevin gave all of the Veterans who attended the gathering a hand-written note thanking us, a picture of the Valor that he signed, and a wooden “Thank You for Your Service” token. Also included was a card from the charity he donates to, OperationThankYou. That’s very thoughtful of him and I greatly appreciate it.

He announced that he was going to be at the Build-A-Bear event, so I went there and met him in the hall. Thanked him for the card and other items, we exchanged pleasantries, and I told him about losing my pin. He said he’d get me a new one. I figured he’d just give one to our steward, but we just passed him in the hall with one of his Fun Squad members a little bit ago. He delivered it to our cabin personally. Color me impressed. I’ll say it again, despite what I think of him as a CD, he’s earned my respect with the personal attention he’s given those of us at the military gathering and me personally. Good on ya, Kevin.

Everyone has different sensibilities but Kevin was one of the best CD's we have had. He was the CD on the Sensation for my cruise with my son for his college graduation. He did a great job keeping the fun vibe we had going that week. It was one of the best cruises I've had. It's a shame my wife couldn't be there but he was great for those 5 days. 

7 hours ago, ricew001 said:

I'm really interested to know is this typical to 1) this ship/this ship size 2) the Gulf of Mexico 3) the time of year. I had planned to immediately book my next cruise when we got back and received our  discount email. But I haven't because I won't cruise again if it's that bad.

We were on the 11/23-11/28 sailing of the Valor. I didn’t notice rough seas at any point during the trip. 

One of the things I don’t like about Kevin is that he has a very bad habit of getting right up in people’s faces. I’m talking a couple inches. And he does it ALL the time. I’m just not about getting all up in someone’s personal space like that and I surely don’t want anyone doing it to me.

We just got out of Country Road a bit ago. I kind of knew what to expect from reading a description. I hoped for the best, but it was worse than I thought. I love country music, but I despise modern pop-country. And a majority of that show is newer stuff. Anything past the 90’s just doesn’t cut it for me, except for a small handful of songs. I’m looking forward to America Rocks tomorrow night. I prefer classic rock, but I like all rock, old & new.

Later tonight is comedy and Quest.

Speaking if the hidden ducks.....I found a tiny pink embellished duck on my trip two weeks ago on the Conquest and it was taken from my room.  It was the tiniest and cutest little duck!  I left it on the shelf by the tv and the next morning it was gone.  I have an idea of who might have taken it......not the Room Steward or his helper, as they were great.  There was, however, a female crew member that commented on my collection of ducks (she mentioned that she also collects them) and the next evening it disappeared from my room.  

My suggestion would be to put them out of sight to insure that noone is tempted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, desiree741 said:

Not that I want your cruise to end... but it needs to hurry up and end so I can get on!!! 
i’m so ready

You can be honest. Tell me to get off this damn ship so you can get on. 😜 That’s how I feel when I see people say they stay on till the crew makes them leave. As far as I’m concerned, on the last morning, my vacation’s over. Get off and let the next group start theirs. 

My thoughts on the straws. I had my first sugar straw the other day with a milkshake. I only made it through about half of it before the top started to crumble. And I was drinking it fairly quick, so it’s not like it had a lot of time to dissolve. Plus, I always use my straw to stir my milkshakes and this thing ended up moist and sticky. Sticky straw, sticky fingers. So I’m definitely not a fan. But I don’t get drinks that need one often, so I doubt I’d bring my own.

All of the communal butter crocks always had a shared butter knife in them that everyone was using instead of getting a clean one each time, which is what I did. To me, it was much more of a nuisance to use the communal crock. They were on the main buffet line, I wouldn’t think about it at that time, then go get a croissant from the pastry bar, and realize I need butter. Back to the main line and wait or ask someone in line if they mind if I get some butter real quick. At least put another crock with the pastries where most people need it.

I miss the individual cereal boxes. They made for great cabin snacks. 

I really don’t understand the idea behind getting rid of individual sugar packets when they still have a ton of sugar substitute packets everywhere. That seems like it defeats the effort. 

37 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

You can be honest. Tell me to get off this damn ship so you can get on. 😜 That’s how I feel when I see people say they stay on till the crew makes them leave. As far as I’m concerned, on the last morning, my vacation’s over. Get off and let the next group start theirs. 

Fine. Get off!! 🙂

I’m at the airport now waiting for my flight to NOLA. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Fine. Get off!! 🙂

I’m at the airport now waiting for my flight to NOLA. 

Fortunately, we were able to book this one as a sort of in-between, so we only have 3 months until our Horizon cruise. That thought is cushioning the fall, so to speak, of ending this one.

FYI, for those boarding the Valor soon, there seems to be a glitch with one of the elevator call buttons. 3rd deck elevators right off the Lobby. The up button for the starboard side elevators, NOT the glass elevators, lights up but it doesn’t always call an elevator. If it’s lit up and none come, look at the up button on the port side. There’s a good chance it won’t be lit. Use that button instead. It does this on deck 3, I’m not sure about other decks.

Last post of the cruise. I liked America Rocks much better than Country Road, but then again, I hated Country Road, so it wouldn’t have taken much. Seriously though, America Rocks is a good show. The biggest complaint I have about the Valor Playlist performers is that the 3 men wear more make-up than the 4 women. That was for both shows I saw and my wife said they were like that for the one I skipped. They looked ridiculous. 

We didn’t even bother with the last two comedy shows. We were tired and needed to pack. We’re going to try self assist for the first time in the morning. I liked not checking our luggage at the beginning of the cruise, so we’ll see how this goes.

Thanks for following along, y’all. We have a long drive tomorrow, but if anyone has any more questions, I’ll check back in on Sunday. 

• Like 1

I almost forgot. For those boarding when we get off, or cruising on Valor soon...if you’re interested, I did hide a few ducks. I didn’t know about the actual game that cruisers play hiding these things, so this was just something for the people of this thread. Keep them or use them for the actual game. I waited until tonight hoping they’d survive until the next cruise got onboard, so hopefully they’re still there.

1) We’re in cabin 8283, so this one is hiding very close to our door. Ducks can fly, so just look up. I won’t actually put this one in place until debarkation morning, so if you’re on with us right now, you won’t be able to sneak up and get it tonight. 😛

2) Another on deck 8. Look on the starboard side of the glass elevators. This green alien duck is hiding behind his giant golden cousin.

3) This is a “cafe,” but you can’t get coffee here. You can PRINT a picture of a coffee. This duck is purple. 

4) This little yellow tiger duck didn’t want to stray too far from home. It’s home being the machine it came from. 

5) We spent a lot of time at the comedy club and this pink duck is hiding nearby. Have you ever seen a banana skirt? I hadn’t until this cruise.

That’s it, there should be 5. Hope they’re still there. I’ve marked the bottom of them so you know they were mine. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1