Skipping Formal Night

kimhinterman

Thank you all for your comments, advice, and some good laughs!  My husband will wear a pair of dockers and a nice golf shirt, like he has always done in the Haven on NCL. I was more worried about the jacket and tie, I never meant to suggest that he dresses overly casual because that's simply not true.  This is vacation after all and we intend on enjoying this adventure. 

Thank you for this information. We were going to bring our fancy clothes, begrudgingly, so we could enjoy the restaurant. 

Dockers/golf shirt for him and a simple dress for me is our preference. 

41 days!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

If you wear shorts to dinner in the YC restaurant you will be asked to go change.  Based on experience.

Confirmed last night in YC on Seaview that if I choose to wear shorts I will NOT be turned away. I prefer to wear pants but will put on my shorts for dinner to take a photo to proove that dress code is only a suggestion. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, kimhinterman said:

We are new to MSC and sailing on Seaside 2/15/19 in the Yacht Club.  Nothing against those who love formal night, I, however, do not! To each their own and I am not trying to start a debate on the subject, I would just like to hear suggestions on dinner options for those of us that prefer casual dining. Can pizza be ordered in the Yacht Club lounge or by the pool?

Last year we had pizza in YC restaurant on gala night. Everything is possible. 

1 hour ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

Confirmed last night in YC on Seaview that if I choose to wear shorts I will NOT be turned away. I prefer to wear pants but will put on my shorts for dinner to take a photo to proove that dress code is only a suggestion. 

Good for you, but that would do nothing to change my experience.

8 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Good for you, but that would do nothing to change my experience.

@Toofarfromthesea did they ask you to go and change? We seem to have different experiences on different ships or itineraries. I wouldn't want to wear shorts for dinner but would definitely object if someone insisted i go and change if i had chosen to wear shorts. It's my vacation. 

On 12/22/2019 at 1:47 PM, JohnJayJotaJames said:

@Toofarfromthesea did they ask you to go and change? We seem to have different experiences on different ships or itineraries. I wouldn't want to wear shorts for dinner but would definitely object if someone insisted i go and change if i had chosen to wear shorts. It's my vacation. 

Well, it was my Son-in-law, and yes they did.  And others have reported the same many times, on this board.

I assumed the MSC dress code in Europe would be a bit more refined, but that was NOT my experience. I talked my DH into bringing a white shirt and tie for formal nights and was I surprised in the MDR!  Shorts, flip flops, and another passenger with a Harley Davidson t-shirt on formal night!  My mouth dropped open. I'd say at least half the men dressed in khakis and short sleeved shirts (and the weather outside was in the 50's)

Now, my new policy is "Honey, you wear anything you want on a cruise."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1