I must be in the minority for male attire

lardan

Old school, new school, can't we all just be one big happy school??? I love dressing up, husband does not... so I totally see both sides of this issue. However, it really surprises me that people get so riled up about this issue. I'm not so old, but even I remember when people used to get dressed up to fly! Yes, on an airplane back in the day! And church!

Like it or not, these traditions are giving way... and you see it EVERYWHERE... the workplace, the theatre, fine dining venues, it goes on. My point is, for all those who enjoy dressing up... dress up to the 9s!!! It's awesome to feel good about yourself, but don't let it bother you if others aren't on the same wavelength. And lets not kid ourselves... there is a pretty big difference between the guy in the dockers and golf shirt and the guy in in an undershirt and boardshirts...

Standards for formal events are changing, and maybe that's not a good thing. So keep dressing up and looking fabulous... and show with your smashing good looks AND your super friendly demeanor that you can dress up AND be relaxed and have a great time too!!!! Be gracious to those people who aren't dressed as well as you... and maybe you will become a role model, rather than a lecturing voice that reminds them of their parents!!!

I really never understood those that changed after dinner. I always am perfectly comfortable in my formal wear - or evening attire in general - and am happy to enjoy the evening atmosphere aboard ship. It is just so festive!

I, too, am an "old school" cruiser.

I couldn't agree more. It takes time to dressed in the formal wear for dinner and I don't see the point in changing. It won't kill anyone to follow the dress code for the entire evening and I wouldn't waste the effort to go change again. Sure, there are times after a tough day at sea;) that it would be nice to be more casual, but we never would because that is not what is expected. We understand and abide by the dress code for the evening and appreciate the other 90% that do as well.

Jennifer

Old school, new school, can't we all just be one big happy school??? I love dressing up, husband does not... so I totally see both sides of this issue. However, it really surprises me that people get so riled up about this issue. I'm not so old, but even I remember when people used to get dressed up to fly! Yes, on an airplane back in the day! And church!

Like it or not, these traditions are giving way... and you see it EVERYWHERE... the workplace, the theatre, fine dining venues, it goes on. My point is, for all those who enjoy dressing up... dress up to the 9s!!! It's awesome to feel good about yourself, but don't let it bother you if others aren't on the same wavelength. And lets not kid ourselves... there is a pretty big difference between the guy in the dockers and golf shirt and the guy in in an undershirt and boardshirts...

Standards for formal events are changing, and maybe that's not a good thing. So keep dressing up and looking fabulous... and show with your smashing good looks AND your super friendly demeanor that you can dress up AND be relaxed and have a great time too!!!! Be gracious to those people who aren't dressed as well as you... and maybe you will become a role model, rather than a lecturing voice that reminds them of their parents!!!

Thank you, Tortugas, I couldn't agree with you more. I wear a suit to work and my wife, a dress. We do it on cruises because we feel obligated, but that's it. I know that some people must get a kick out of it, and good for them. I personally have always felt that a guy can look just as nice and "kept" in a silk shirt and slacks as in a tux or suit. I don't understand what the big fizz is, but what do you do. On a formal night on our last cruise, we invited the rest of our table to have room service on our balcony in shorts and t-shirts, and it was delightful! I slipped the guitar player some cash and he came and played for us! I was awesome!

Well, I'm not a "surfer" (except for my beach days in CA back in the 60's:D ), but I work with mentally and physically disabled clients five days a week. That is my life. I wear old jeans and crummy T-shirts and Wal-Mart shoes. That is my life. I mean, that's truly what I wear to work each day! During the summer, I wear shorts and tank tops or T-shirts and 10-year old Tevas. That is my life. Like, Dude, that's what I wear!! Like, Dude, that's my life! However....since HAL is my favorite cruise line, I am respectful enough to adhere to the guidelines for appropriate attire, and do so very willingly. The little effort it takes me to dress accordingly is far exceeded by the experiences I have on my HAL cruises. Hang Ten, do the curl, grab a wave, wax your board, and get a grimmy!

Signed - Former Surfer Girl who has attended three (count 'em) live Beach Boys concerts and is now an old broad who dresses casually (but also knows how to dress appropriately) - because that's my life, Dude!

Thank you, Tortugas, I couldn't agree with you more. I wear a suit to work and my wife, a dress. We do it on cruises because we feel obligated, but that's it. I know that some people must get a kick out of it, and good for them. I personally have always felt that a guy can look just as nice and "kept" in a silk shirt and slacks as in a tux or suit. I don't understand what the big fizz is, but what do you do. On a formal night on our last cruise, we invited the rest of our table to have room service on our balcony in shorts and t-shirts, and it was delightful! I slipped the guitar player some cash and he came and played for us! I was awesome!

Correction....It was awesome. My apologies.

I am surprised I have not read this on any of the boards concerning dress code.

1) There are land restaurants that clearly state whatever their dress code is, be it at a beach, "shirt and shoes required" or a nice restaurant that states "jacket and tie required."

2) In the jacket-and-tie-required restaurant there is sometimes a "rent a jacket" service.

I know you can pre-arrange to rent a tux before your cruise (and other formal attire), but I wonder if there is a simple "rent a jacket and tie" offered as well, or if not, why not?

I hear men say they wear their suit on the airplane before the cruise because the suit takes up so much room/weight in a suitcase, but remove the jacket once onboard the plane.

work has a dress code do you wear shorts just because you want to and do you tell your boss you dont believe in the code or do you dress according to code- do you smoke in the non smoking area--- do you obey the speed limit -- do you stop on red --- --- well the same holds true on cruise ships -- there is a code and you should be adult enough to follow it ---regardless of the reason you are on the ship

I know you can pre-arrange to rent a tux before your cruise (and other formal attire), but I wonder if there is a simple "rent a jacket and tie" offered as well, or if not, why not?

:confused: Maybe because it's assumed a gentleman already has one? And brought it with him on the cruise? :confused:

How truly tasteless...

***LOL, despite himself***

I still wonder why certain men feel like its some kind of "Badge of Honor" that they dont own a suit?

I wonder if the NASCAR stickers all over the Camaro have something to do with it...

:rolleyes:

I like NASCAR. I own and wear a tux, plus five suits and multiple sport coats. Where in the world did you get this NASCAR comparison??

I know you can pre-arrange to rent a tux before your cruise (and other formal attire), but I wonder if there is a simple "rent a jacket and tie" offered as well, or if not, why not?I quote]

rent a tux and it will be waiting in your cabin for you

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

so much easier then carrying a suit and shirts/ties for formal nites

I am taking my first cruise on HAL after traveling on RCCL for the last 5 years. I am one of those men (44 Y.O.) who doesn't like to dress up. I hate wearing a sportcoat and tie, let alone a tuxedo or suit. I have taken a sportcoat with me on my last few RCCL cruises, but I never wear a tie, even on formal nights. They have never denied me service in the dining room on any night, even formal night. On informal nights and casual nights, I wear a polo shirt and dockers/khaki's.

I know that everyone is different, but I sure do not understand why people get offended when others are dressing differently than they "expect" them to be. Let me wear what I want to wear, and I'll let you wear what you want to wear. When I go to Pinnacle this summer, twice, I will be wearing my polo shirt and dockers.

Nowhere, anywhere, does it state that you MUST wear a suit/tuxedo on formal night, although it is expected, it is not required.

Just a little rant here on all the attire posts.

Go back to your regularly scheduled lives.

I did not bother to read the other posts here as it would take too long but here is my two cents woth from another male.

Up until around the mid 1960's there were such things as social convention and one followed the "rules" of where ever one went. If they did not like to follow the rules they had the good grace not to intrude in a place they knew they would not be welcome. Then along came the hippie revolution of the sixties and all social convention went out the window. Ever since then things seem to have been down hill. Now for way too many people in way too many places it is "its my vacation and I'll wear or do what I want the rest of the passengers or guests be d.

Well I for one think it is time that we made a real effort to regain some of that earlier social convention and when we see bores not willing to follow the rules that we let them know. It need not be rude but one can convey their feelings in a pleasant way.

I just returned for a fabulous 14 day cruise on a ship where everyone I saw in my dining room wore very fine attire all of the time. Formal wear was worn by 90% of the men on formal nights with the other 10% wearing suits and on informal nights either suits or blazers with ties were worn by 100% of the gentlemen. And there was NEVER a pair of jeans to be seen in any dining room at any meal.

And horrors of all horrors, eveyone was having a very pleasant time with lots of talking and laughter. No one was seen having a nervous breakdown over following the social convention of the moment. Please give it a try, I believe that you will find it to be fun.

IMHO social graces are the cornerstone of society, unfortunately that cornerstone has crumbled over the years. No one should be forced to do what they do not want to do, however, there is a time and place for everything --- choosing that time and place seems to be a problem in this day and age.

I enjoy HAL for the ambiance, service and style that they offer, I am happy to do my best to contribute to the "on board experience" including dressing appropriately for dinner when it is called for.

Just my opinion folks.

We all have our differing opinions, if you want to dress up, dress up, it's not like I said I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Tortugas, you said it better than I did; thank you. Didn't realize I was opening up the can of worms. Let me quote the website regarding dress code. Please note that it says SUGGESTED, NOT REQUIRED.

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.)

Everyone should enjoy their cruise!!!

They do still dress up for church in many places, although I have seen some pretty awful things in houses of worship.

I just do not agree that "standards for formal events" are changing. When I attend a black tie function, I see people dressed accordingly. On cruise ships, it has become such a commodity vacation, that these standards are simply not enforced. Some people have the "it's my vacation and I will wear what I want to attitude". This does not mean that standards have changed, it means that profit margins for cruise lines are more important that maintaining standards. And this goes for other things as well, not just dress codes.

And I still get dressed up when I fly first or business class. I guess that makes me a dinosaur but I am comfortable in my own skin.

And I still get dressed up when I fly first or business class. I guess that makes me a dinosaur but I am comfortable in my own skin.

I don't think you are a dinosaur. I am 30 and my husband is 38. We will not fly in jeans or shorts. When we travel, we do choose to dress up a bit. I can hear my Grandma in my head telling me "You are going out in public. Look presentable."

I enjoy dressing for dinner. It adds to the fun of the trip. I think it is an important part of the cruise. I hope it is never done away with. I think it is too bad that the "rules" aren't always enforced as tightly as I would like to see them. I also think it is too bad that people feel the need to put the Maitre D in the situation of asking them to return to their cabin and dress accordingly.

I also think it is too bad that people think the rule about wearing shoes, shirts/coverups, in the Lido restaurant doesn't apply to them. I hate eating my lunch and seeing someone wander in from the pool, shirtless and shoeless. Talk about rude and inconsiderate.....:eek:

I hope everyone has a great cruise, whenever your next one might be.

Have a great weekend!

Jennifer

Jennifer

I just returned for a fabulous 14 day cruise on a ship where everyone I saw in my dining room wore very fine attire all of the time. Formal wear was worn by 90% of the men on formal nights with the other 10% wearing suits and on informal nights either suits or blazers with ties were worn by 100% of the gentlemen. And there was NEVER a pair of jeans to be seen in any dining room at any meal.

And horrors of all horrors, eveyone was having a very pleasant time with lots of talking and laughter. No one was seen having a nervous breakdown over following the social convention of the moment. Please give it a try, I believe that you will find it to be fun.

Incredible. You'd think from what others say on other threads that a room with 100% of the people following the dress code would be completely silent because they are all too busy turning their noses up to everyone else. And that since they dress up appropriately, that they must be the most dull, uninteresting, un-socialble people in the world. At least that is what some people would make you think.

Amazing, maybe that isn't true, because it sure is one of the more common justifications for those who don't dress properly.

Archived