I must be in the minority for male attire

lardan

I am taking my first cruise on HAL after traveling on RCCL for the last 5 years. I am one of those men (44 Y.O.) who doesn't like to dress up. I hate wearing a sportcoat and tie, let alone a tuxedo or suit. I have taken a sportcoat with me on my last few RCCL cruises, but I never wear a tie, even on formal nights. They have never denied me service in the dining room on any night, even formal night. On informal nights and casual nights, I wear a polo shirt and dockers/khaki's.

I know that everyone is different, but I sure do not understand why people get offended when others are dressing differently than they "expect" them to be. Let me wear what I want to wear, and I'll let you wear what you want to wear. When I go to Pinnacle this summer, twice, I will be wearing my polo shirt and dockers.

Nowhere, anywhere, does it state that you MUST wear a suit/tuxedo on formal night, although it is expected, it is not required.

Just a little rant here on all the attire posts.

Go back to your regularly scheduled lives.

There are cruise lines where traditional attire is expected.

There are cruise lines where "resort casual" is expected.

If one is against dressing up, perhaps the latter is a better choice.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

I know that everyone is different, but I sure do not understand why people get offended when others are dressing differently than they "expect" them to be.

Perhaps someday you will understand. It's because it's rude.

I am taking my first cruise on HAL after traveling on RCCL for the last 5 years. I am one of those men (44 Y.O.) who doesn't like to dress up. I hate wearing a sportcoat and tie, let alone a tuxedo or suit. I have taken a sportcoat with me on my last few RCCL cruises, but I never wear a tie, even on formal nights. They have never denied me service in the dining room on any night, even formal night. On informal nights and casual nights, I wear a polo shirt and dockers/khaki's.

I know that everyone is different, but I sure do not understand why people get offended when others are dressing differently than they "expect" them to be. Let me wear what I want to wear, and I'll let you wear what you want to wear. When I go to Pinnacle this summer, twice, I will be wearing my polo shirt and dockers.

Nowhere, anywhere, does it state that you MUST wear a suit/tuxedo on formal night, although it is expected, it is not required.

It is expected though...I'm not offended by what anyone wears, it doesn't affect my experience one bit, but it is well defined here:

From the Cruise Compass, Sovereign of the Seas, Day 2, Tuesday January 24, 2006:

Captain's Gala Dinner in the Illusions & Mirage Dining Rooms

Formal (Cocktail dresses for Women; Suits and Ties or Tuxedos for Men)

That doesn't leave any room for interpretation of wearing anything less than expectd. IMO.

YMMV

My husband and I are booked on a HAL cruise in October. We choose this cruise only because a travel agency is putting on a Longboarder Surfing tour and cruise on the Oosterdam. This is the only way I can get my husband to go on a cruise. He is a surfer. There are no tuxes in his closet--and only one jacket. He will mostly dress in slacks and silk shirts and I am sure he will feel quite comfortable, especially with all the other surfers on board. And, it most certainly is not rude. How his not wearing a tux or coat affects anyone else's cruise experience is beyond me. But, if you it will make you feel better, go ahead and judge others based on what they wear.

I sure do not understand why people get offended when others are dressing differently than they "expect" them to be. Let me wear what I want to wear, and I'll let you wear what you want to wear. When I go to Pinnacle this summer, twice, I will be wearing my polo shirt and dockers.

I don't dress according to what other people's expectations are. Personally, I dress per what the cruiseline "expects" me to wear...that way there's no confusion.

If they "expect" me to dress formal for dinner...then by golly I'm gonna dress formal for dinner and abide by their expectations.

I think the same thing about farting at dinner. I sure do not understand why people get offended when I am smelling differently than they "expect" me to be. Let me smell how I want to smell and I will let you smell how you want to smell. This March when I go to the Pinnacle I will be blowing loud stinky wet ones all I want.

Nowhere, anywhere, does it state that you MUST not fart up a stinky storm in the Pinnacle although it is expected, it is not required.

Just a little rant here on farting.

I think the same thing about farting at dinner. I sure do not understand why people get offended when I am smelling differently than they "expect" me to be. Let me smell how I want to smell and I will let you smell how you want to smell. This March when I go to the Pinnacle I will be blowing loud stinky wet ones all I want.

Nowhere, anywhere, does it state that you MUST not fart up a stinky storm in the Pinnacle although it is expected, it is not required.

Just a little rant here on farting.

HUH??? Are you sure you don't want to edit?

Marie

My husband and I are booked on a HAL cruise in October. We choose this cruise only because a travel agency is putting on a Longboarder Surfing tour and cruise on the Oosterdam. This is the only way I can get my husband to go on a cruise. He is a surfer. There are no tuxes in his closet--and only one jacket. He will mostly dress in slacks and silk shirts and I am sure he will feel quite comfortable, especially with all the other surfers on board. And, it most certainly is not rude. How his not wearing a tux or coat affects anyone else's cruise experience is beyond me. But, if you it will make you feel better, go ahead and judge others based on what they wear.

My nephew is a surfer and wore a suit and tie to formal night and dress slacks and long sleeve shirts on the other nights when I took him with me on a cruise. He asked me prior to the cruise what was appropriate attire and then made his decisions himself without any intervention from me. I complimented him several times on how nice he looked and he told me that it felt good to dress up. He looked great and I was quite proud of him!

Enjoying surfing does not preclude one from respecting the published dress code. If your husband will feel "quite comfortable" dressed contrary to cruiseline dress requests, so be it. I personally would not be comfortable accompanying him.

I have both a suit, and a tux and intend on using them. I've surfed all my life...traveled all over the world in search of waves (still do). I fail to see the connection to 'surfers' and 'dressing up.?' Does being a surfer somehow preclude one from wearing a suit or tux?

I don't think anyone here is judging anyone else.

*Maybe it's just the longboarders who don't have suits.

I think the same thing about farting at dinner.

Interesting.

I can't find the "Farting Policy" in the Holland America Line's "Know Before You Go" booklet.

Now THERE's a topic we've not covered!

I can SMELL it now!

;)

My nephew is a surfer and wore a suit and tie to formal night and dress slacks and long sleeve shirts on the other nights when I took him with me on a cruise. He asked me prior to the cruise what was appropriate attire and then made his decisions himself without any intervention from me. I complimented him several times on how nice he looked and he told me that it felt good to dress up. He looked great and I was quite proud of him!

Enjoying surfing does not preclude one from respecting the published dress code. If your husband will feel "quite comfortable" dressed contrary to cruiseline dress requests, so be it. I personally would not be comfortable accompanying him.

And he would not be comfortable accompanying you.

I have both a suit, and a tux and intend on using them. I've surfed all my life...traveled all over the world in search of waves (still do). I fail to see the connection to 'surfers' and 'dressing up.?' Does being a surfer somehow preclude one from wearing a suit or tux?

I don't think anyone here is judging anyone else.

*Maybe it's just the longboarders who don't have suits.

Maybe it's just my husband who doesn't have a suit (nor does he want one). I referenced my husband as a surfer because that is his way of life. His profession does not require him to dress up. His every day life does not require anything more than shorts. Truly, getting him to wear slacks is a miracle. Like I said, we only chose our upcoming cruise for the surfing tour. It's obviously not for the whole dinner dressing experience. And thank you for all the snooty comments from all the nonjudgers.

And thank you for all the snooty comments from all the nonjudgers.

No need to thank anyone for being snooty.

But, if you it will make you feel better, go ahead and judge others based on what they wear.

Unless you think the others here should be thanking you as well.

...Just a little rant here on farting.

How truly tasteless...

***LOL, despite himself***

I still wonder why certain men feel like its some kind of "Badge of Honor" that they dont own a suit?

I wonder if the NASCAR stickers all over the Camaro have something to do with it...

:rolleyes:

There is a risk to being a nonconformist.

Back in 2004, while on the Zaandam on a 21 day cruise from Vancouver to Port Canaveral, Florida, a man came to formal night dinner dressed in slacks and a button-down sports shirt -- no jacket, no tie. Jerry, the Matre’ D, came over while their drink orders were being taken, and I could hear him say in a quiet yet respectful tone, “Sir, tonight is formal night.”

“Yes?” the man replied.

“I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to return to your cabin and retrieve a jacket and tie.”

“But the dress code says that’s suggested.”

“No, sir. What’s suggested is a tuxedo; what is required is a jacket and tie.”

“Required?”

“Correct, sir.”

“What if I refuse?”

“Then, sir, you will not be served in the Dining Room.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“No, sir, I'm not kidding you.” The Matre’ D then stood up straight and walked away, apparently stopping to inform the area supervisor of the situation.

After a few minutes, the fellow got up and left. Less than 10 minutes later he showed up in slacks, a sports jacket, white shirt and tie. Nothing else was said, either by the Matre’ D nor by his table companions, but I’m sure the fellow was more than just a little bit embarrassed. I was reminded of our discussions on this board a few months back ... it's that kind of embarrassment that I'd rather certain people not have to experience. This fellow's not being dressed in formal garb didn't both me at all -- I couldn't even see him, given that was was seated behind me -- but he was made to be embarrassed thanks to his own unwillingness to conform.

I would rather NOT see anyone be so embarrassed.

On the Oosterdam this past January, on a casual night, a guy and his woman tried to enter the main dining room dressed in shorts and tank tops. The stewards would not seat them.

Wow, I was sort of enjoying the bantering here until I got to this judging line...was anyone being judgmental?? I was thinking that there was disagreement going on, but this just sounds defensive.

Really, what you wear is personal preference...I prefer that people dress up on formal night (I guess that's why they call it formal), and my husband and I have talked about dinner in the Lido or our rooms if we don't want to dress up, or finding a cruise where there is no formal night expectation. For me, it does affect the experience, but judging others is going a bit far.

I'll be honest with you. My attire for each and every work day of the year is a tuxedo! I am a Maitre D'.

I actually despise the idea of getting dressed up on vacation, since I'm always dressed up at work....

but...

we decided we wanted to see what it would be like to cruise with a more upscale and classy cruiseline; ie. Holland America...than what we've sailed with in the past so I'll just grin and bear it and dress as the cruiseline expects me to dress.

P.S. Seeing people all dressed up in tuxes and evening gowns really has lost alot of that "wow" effect on me after 20 years of maitre D' :D

Archived