I must be in the minority for male attire

lardan

I will generally talk to a well dressed man and not one that is jeans, etc. in a bar..

Wow, how shallow can one get! I work as Maitre D' and have come across quite a few people who show up in gowns and tuxs and are just dumb as dirt!

Wow, how shallow can one get! I work as Maitre D' and have come across quite a few people who show up in gowns and tuxs and are just dumb as dirt!

True but one must work the percentages when given the choice between the various levels of attire if that is all one has to go by for initial impressions.

True but one must work the percentages when given the choice between the various levels of attire if that is all one has to go by for initial impressions.

I totally expected the flames for my comment from some of the posters.

First impressions are important. Being dressed in jeans or shorts in an upscale venue tells a lot about someone, IME. For me, it means we have very different tastes and opinions on what is tasteful and appropriate. I also would not talk to a smoker no matter how well they were dressed, because I find that habit repulsive. Or someone that was loud and borish, no matter how attired.

All of these are indicators about what is important to a person. Dress is just one thing, but how one presents themselves happens to be important to me.

I also would not talk to a smoker no matter how well they were dressed, because I find that habit repulsive. Or someone that was loud and borish, no matter how attired

Oh my! Right now I'm picturing Thurston Howell III's wife, Lovey :D

gotta agree on that one.. w*rking with the 'public' gives one a different view of the real world.. ab-so-lude-lee..

I agree Herb.

I used to bus tables at a local country club in high school and college. A very high end , exclusive country club. Money, prominence and expensive clothes do NOT always equal class and manners.

Caviargirl,

As a guy who smokes and although always dresses nicely and neatly , but would still probably never meet your dress code. If you ever walked by me in a bar or cruise ship and didn't stop to talk , let me just say

THANK YOU:)

Caviargirl,

As a guy who smokes and although always dresses nicely and neatly , but would still probably never meet your dress code. If you ever walked by me in a bar or cruise ship and didn't stop to talk , let me just say

THANK YOU:)

You're very welcome!

Ah, the old 'dress code' can-o-worms.

I'm with you man, I hate dressing up too. I'm going to do it anyway because I believe it will be worth the effort.

I'm with you guys ... but I guess some people get bent out of shape if one is not in "accordance" with the stated dress code for the evening.

Frankly, you don't have to wear a tux ... even on formal night. Ladies don't have to wear gowns. My philosophy has always been to give a "nod" in the direction of the dress code, dress nicely, but no need to overdue it. And you know what? I fit in just fine on my Amsterdam cruise over this past month. A lot of folks obviously feel the same way I do ... dressed decently (well enough not to get bounced from the dining room) and some even changed after dinner, before going to the show ... something that is technically against HAL's rules.

I found on my cruise that people were more concerned (as I was) with having a good time and couldn't care less if others were not dressed to the nines on formal night. Oh, I think there would probably have been some grumbling if someone entered the dining room in jeans and a tee-shirt ... even on a casual night. But I didn't notice any whispers of "look at that slob ... she's not wearing a beaded gown!"

Go, have fun ... dress decently ... and don't worry about the few who have a problem with what you choose to wear.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived