Uber to Charleston Port?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

I feel a little ridiculous asking this question as I live in Charleston...but...I can't figure this out!  Has anyone taken an Uber (or similar situation) to the Charleston cruise port?  I have sailed out of here before, with a friend dropping me off right at the "entry."  The Port website says that rideshare users should be dropped off at 32 Washington St. (see link:  http://scspa.com/wp-content/uploads/embarkation-debarkation-guidelines-carnival-sunshine-2019.pdf)  But this makes no sense...you are just on a random street corner.  Do you then walk through the parking area with your luggage to the luggage drop off point?  I just don't want to make my Uber driver drive all over the place trying to figure out where to drop me off.  Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, biomedbob said:

Can't help but share my frustration with Charleston.  They need to send a group to Baltimore and see how much better a cruise terminal can be.

While that sounds like a great idea, keep in mind that 1) the port in Charleston was never designed as a cruise port, and they're doing the best they can, and 2) there are many here who strongly support revamping the cruise port but there is also a very vocal group here that is anti-cruise and fights it every step of the way so local politics get in the way.  Frustrating as it may be, it seems to be a popular port, as it's driveable from much of the southeast population that enjoys that option over going all the way to Florida, or north to Baltimore/NYC.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! 

I read an article about being dropped off at Port of Charleston. I am being dropped off in Feb.  I do not remember where the article was but I copied this and saved it-

There are 2 gates- one for parked guests, one for guests being dropped off.

For parking guests use Gate #2 of the Union Pier Cruise Terminal (this includes Uber/Lyft drivers). This gate is located at the intersections of Laurens and Concord streets. If you are using GPS, use the address 280 Concord Street to take you to the correct location.

Hope this helps!  

Edited by indychristine

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, indychristine said:

Hi! 

I read an article about being dropped off at Port of Charleston. I am being dropped off in Feb.  I do not remember where the article was but I copied this and saved it-

There are 2 gates- one for parked guests, one for guests being dropped off.

For parking guests use Gate #2 of the Union Pier Cruise Terminal (this includes Uber/Lyft drivers). This gate is located at the intersections of Laurens and Concord streets. If you are using GPS, use the address 280 Concord Street to take you to the correct location.

Hope this helps!  

Hi!

I cruised in early January and it ended up not being an issue at all.  As soon as you get to the terminal (or, the Uber driver gets you to the terminal) there is a ton of signage on where to go.  I was confused because the port website makes it seem like you need to be dropped off outside the port area, which is not the case.  It was a breeze.  From the time I left my house in the uber to the time I was onboard was only 35min!  (I live about 15min from the port)

Enjoy your vacation!

• Like 2

JMorris271, I think they've changed the parking area since you cruised from Charleston.  You now park in a huge (outside) lot, check in at a terminal building, then are bussed to the ship.  They do it efficiently, but no longer have covered parking.  (In fact, I think the terminal building MAY have been the covered parking building in the past.)