Mystique Royal or Calabash Resort

jbiker

5 hours ago, jbiker said:

Trying to decide on a beach resort for the day.  Any opinions and cost for taxis.  thanks

Very different resorts.

Calabash Cove os adults only, very small boutique property (26 rooms in total), gorgeous infinity pool, amazing cuisine and lovely unobtrusive service. Lots of steps as it's built into a hillside. Gorgeous grounds. Virtually deserted beach with chairs and umbrellas. $25 one way. About 15/20 minute from port 

Royal is a family property, on a much busier beach. Larger property, decent food anf drinks, good service. As it's larger, it's not as upscale, nor is it as quiet abd laid back. And the beach is busier, with all sorts of watersports to hire, etc.  $30-35usd one way, 25-35 minutes from port. 

Both have a swim-up bar, FWIW.

Hands down, I'd go to Calabash Cove, it's simply sublime. But, I don't know how you're party is made up, whether you want quiet and relaxing or more active and options.  

We went to Calabash Cove on a cruise last week (on the recommendation of this forum) and everything Reed Princess said above was spot on.  Great experience. We were treated like regular guests.  We were the only "cruise people" there, had our pick of shaded loungers.  As stated above, there are many steps down to the beach and we're not young & real spry ... but so worth getting there (and drink service from the bar on the beach.) I plan to write a more complete review in the coming days ... but it was well worth the price and getting to, and we'd go again.

12 hours ago, MKellyUtah said:

We went to Calabash Cove on a cruise last week (on the recommendation of this forum) and everything Reed Princess said above was spot on.  Great experience. We were treated like regular guests.  We were the only "cruise people" there, had our pick of shaded loungers.  As stated above, there are many steps down to the beach and we're not young & real spry ... but so worth getting there (and drink service from the bar on the beach.) I plan to write a more complete review in the coming days ... but it was well worth the price and getting to, and we'd go again.

So glad you enjoyed! Calabash Cove is something special, for sure. Happy sails 

To Jbiker:

I'll make this my post-visit report ... answer a couple of your questions ... and go into a little more detail about Calabash Cove.  This was our 3rd visit to St. Lucia, had done a beach day to Pigeon Island and a lengthy catamaran trip/land tour (both very good) on previous trips.  I would never have known about this Resort if it hadn't been for the mention here in this forum, and the strong recommendation of Reed Princess.  We visited on Fri., Dec. 6 off a Celebrity cruise ship.  I had gone to the resort website and inquired about the public availability of the resort to visitors. (They don't call them "day passes" per se.)  I received an e-mail reply from Konrad Wagner saying that access is based on a "space available basis" but that our date of choice should be "wide open".

We got a taxi outside the port ... negotiated a fare to the resort ($25), and were off.  It was about a 35-minute ride to get there, due to road construction in that direction (traffic in the opposite direction, toward the torn & port, was sailing along smoothly.)  The road to the resort off the main highway was twisty & uphill, but the taxi driver was accustomed to that & drove very safely (in part, I'm sure, to preserve his vehicle).  On arrival, we went into the partially open air lobby and were greeted warmly by the receptionist, who welcomed us & took our credit card for payment.  It was $25pp and included only access to the (infinity) pool on the way down to the beach and to the beach loungers (we brought our own towels from the ship.)  As advertised, it's a walk down a series of steps to the beach (but we're in our late 60's and had no trouble going down ... and later, back up.  Just took our time).

And it was soooo worth the trip.  The view from the lobby ... pool area ... and beach is picture perfect.  When we got to the beach, there were two couples staying at the resort there ... and there were plenty of loungers (both covered and uncovered) available as well as some chairs on the resort grounds behind the beach.  There was a server on the beach to take drink & food orders (who then went up to the bar to get them).  The beach was nice soft sand, with no drop-off into or out of the water.  A very idyllic, peaceful place.  When we were done with the beach, (and there are outdoor showers & foot showers right behind the beach) we walked up to the bar (which is adjacent to the pool with swim-up bar access from there), and had some libations there in the shade.  At the beach or pool bar, they run a tab & you pay for drink/food when you're done. We didn't eat, but their menu looked good (and reasonably priced.)  Also some loungers next to the pool & bar, most of them spread out for a feeling of privacy.

All of the employees were extremely nice & friendly, and we felt like we we were being treated the same as the resort guests.  When we got ready to leave, the woman at the reception desk called us a taxi ... and we waited comfortably in the lobby until our ride arrived.

We waited about 30 mins for the taxi back to the port .... fare back was $20 (the taxi driver said that he was stationed at a nearby resort) and took about 15 minutes driving time.

This was a wonderfully relaxing beach day and a way to step away from the crowds during a great, but port intensive, cruise.  If (when!) we get back to St. Lucia, I would certainly do this again & the only change I would make would be to spend more time there (we were there about 3 hrs) & maybe take advantage of the infinity pool and food offerings (and a couple of more Caribbean drinks).  My only selfish hope is that it doesn't get TOO popular ... and change the experience.

I hope this helps you & others considering Calabash Cove and gives you an idea of what to expect.

• Thanks 1