Volcano Eruption in NZ - Cruise Ship Passengers Killed

Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

The news in North America is reporting the alert level was raised to 4 a week ago.

I can guarantee you that is not the case.... they maybe considering raising it as a result of this tragedy but as far as I am aware the alert has been at level 2 for about a month

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/11/white-island-s-volcanic-alert-level-raised-to-two.html

10 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

I can guarantee you that is not the case.... they maybe considering raising it as a result of this tragedy but as far as I am aware the alert has been at level 2 for about a month

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/11/white-island-s-volcanic-alert-level-raised-to-two.html

That is what our local news reported as well.  A tragedy nonetheless.

I think that the information is still be assessed as to whether the warning has been raised recently and I read this morning that it had been. From 1 to 2 in recent weeks although that figure wouldn’t mean much to passengers and needs to be interpreted as to what risk level that means. 

Edited by Pushka

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think that the information is still be assessed as to whether the warning has been raised recently and I read this morning that it had been. From 1 to 2 in recent weeks although that figure wouldn’t mean much to passengers and needs to be interpreted as to what risk level that means. 

Very true. If I saw that something was at a warning of 2 out of 5, without explanation of what it meant I might be slightly more nervous, but would be unlikely to cancel if I were doing that excursion.

Heck, even with an explanation, a 2 out of 5 still seems reasonable.

Of course, I am of the belief that when it is your time, it is your time. And if you escape “plan A” (say you miss a flight that ends up crashing) when it is your time, you’ll go out by “plan B” and get hit by a car or have a massive heart attack or something. (And if you miss a plane that crashes and nothing else happens to you, it was not your time. Nothing supernatural about your missing it.)

• Like 2