Is it safe to do this "Cities of Antiquity and the Holy Land" itinerary?

OnTheJourney

On 12/19/2019 at 8:03 PM, Heidi13 said:

We opted to complete the 4-day overland, primarily as it is a more comprehensive tour than the tours from the port.

Many years ago, I spent 3 months cruising the East Meddy, being in Alexandria every 2 weeks. As a cadet, we were voluntold  that we had to participate in the tours to Cairo/Giza every fortnight. While the roads are better, it is still a long drive - probably 2.5 to 3 hrs each way. In Luxor, it is also a 3 hr drive each way. Way too much time sitting in a bus, for a few hours at the attractions.

For Canal transits, I have been through Panama well over 20 times and even now, am out from the initial approaches all through the canal. Suez, I have been through twice - both at night. My best description of Suez is the ditch through the desert. While it would be nice to see it in daylight, there is no guarantee. Our last WC was meant to complete a daylight transit, but our convoy was delayed and we started weighing anchor about 1 hr before sunset.

Therefore, we prefer the more comprehensive tours and relaxed schedule of the overland tours and are OK missing the Canal.

Would you mind sharing the ball park cost of the overland tour offered by Viking?

Thanks, Mad

1 hour ago, MadMarine said:

Would you mind sharing the ball park cost of the overland tour offered by Viking?

Thanks, Mad

From memory it was about CAN $1,600 pp. It was very reasonably priced compared to the other overland tours

1 hour ago, MadMarine said:

Thanks, much.  Looks like a great option after looking at the alternatives.

Totally agree.

While I haven't been to Luxor before, but have been in Alexandria many times. For a 12 hr tour, we just don't enjoy sitting on a bus for 6 of those hours. Luxor & Alexandria are both almost 3 hrs each way.

Taking the 4-day overland provides a more relaxed schedule and spends more time at the attractions.

The U.S. threw a monkey wrench into Mideast travel planning with its targeted air strike tonight.  This will have impacts across the region as Iran decides how and where to respond, and as all regional players sort out their options.

Linda and I are planning a land-based trip in Egypt and Jordan for March.  Fortunately we have "cancel for any reason" insurance coverage that covers our investment.  We will keep a close eye on events as they unfold over the coming weeks.

(Update:  Iran has vowed "strong revenge" for the strike.)

Edited by DaveSJ711

March is a long way off yet...hopefully things will settle down. In this day and age, never know what can happen no matter where one travels. Quoting JRR Tolkien, Bilbo Baggins' words to Frodo, "it's a dangerous business going out your door" have never been truer the way it seems. And yet, I prefer New Hampshire's motto...."live free or die". 

53 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

March is a long way off yet...hopefully things will settle down. In this day and age, never know what can happen no matter where one travels. Quoting JRR Tolkien, Bilbo Baggins' words to Frodo, "it's a dangerous business going out your door" have never been truer the way it seems. And yet, I prefer New Hampshire's motto...."live free or die". 

The words "settle down" don't have much meaning in the Middle East.

We visited Jerusalem, Haifa and Palestine a few years ago, on our own.  We're doing the Egypt-Jordan trip on our own, too.  Hopefully it will work out.    

8 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The words "settle down" don't have much meaning in the Middle East.

We visited Jerusalem, Haifa and Palestine a few years ago, on our own.  We're doing the Egypt-Jordan trip on our own, too.  Hopefully it will work out.    

Yeah...you're right...given that conflicts in the Middle East have been going on for centuries. Basically all the unrest over there is the reason I started this thread. Wishing you, and all of us, safe travels. 

Dave...any further update on the Sky litigation? Some confusion seems to surround the "order dismissing action" that has been referred to on the Survivors thread....

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Airplanes full of tourist arrive in Israel everyday.

Jerusalem is inland; Ashdod is the port where the ship will dock.

I’m interested in this itinerary as well.  So rockets will not reach Jerusalem or Ashdod?  No worries about suicide bombers in those cities?

Also,  does Viking have armed security guards on their shore excursions?

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone

On 1/17/2020 at 6:16 AM, Justalone said:

I’m interested in this itinerary as well.  So rockets will not reach Jerusalem or Ashdod?  No worries about suicide bombers in those cities?

Also,  does Viking have armed security guards on their shore excursions?

Thank you.

Security arrangement are dictated by the threat level. Even if armed personnel are on the bus, it is similar to aircraft, where it is not published and not known to most.