Itinerary Changed to Acapulco 17 Jan Joy Panama Canal - Experiences of Previous Sailings

kenzie

1 hour ago, kenzie said:

Our port of call has been changed for next months sailing, not shocked! Anyone who traveled the similar sailings recently have any comments re the Port excursions & safety? 

Another place to ask about Acapulco is over in the Mexican Riviera forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/

Just as an fyi, Acapulco as you probably know is in the Mexican state of Guerrero, to which the U.S. State Department has given a "Level 4 -- Do Not Travel" advisory, and prohibits U.S. government employees from traveling anywhere in Guerrero, specifically including Acapulco (as well as Zihuatanejo, a port on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise aboard the Gem).   I've asked NCL what they know that the State Dept doesn't.  As you might imagine, all they have been able to say is that they think it's safe.  We each have to be the judge of our own comfort level when it comes to such travel.

I hope you have a great cruise.  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Another place to ask about Acapulco is over in the Mexican Riviera forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/

Just as an fyi, Acapulco as you probably know is in the Mexican state of Guerrero, to which the U.S. State Department has given a "Level 4 -- Do Not Travel" advisory, and prohibits U.S. government employees from traveling anywhere in Guerrero, specifically including Acapulco (as well as Zihuatanejo, a port on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise aboard the Gem).   I've asked NCL what they know that the State Dept doesn't.  As you might imagine, all they have been able to say is that they think it's safe.  We each have to be the judge of our own comfort level when it comes to such travel.

I hope you have a great cruise.  

If we do anything it will be a NCL excursion so hope we would be safe? 

We were changed to Acapulco on our Panama Canal trip on the Bliss in April. We loved Acapulco . We did the Isla Roqueta island hike. If you’re in decent shape this is the NCL tour to take. It a national park, very safe just off the mainland. Spectacular cliff and ocean views , nice little beach to swim. Beer, chips, and salsa included ..... nice tender from the dock to the island with great picture views as well. Island was empty when we went ..... it was very nice and safe. 

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

What would make it safe(r)?  Again, only you can determine your own comfort level here.

I don't know - just assume the cruiseline would not endanger us - not sure what we are facing with danger here, see lots of comments re armed police, but does that not make you safer? 

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

We were changed to Acapulco on our Panama Canal trip on the Bliss in April. We loved Acapulco . We did the Isla Roqueta island hike. If you’re in decent shape this is the NCL tour to take. It a national park, very safe just off the mainland. Spectacular cliff and ocean views , nice little beach to swim. Beer, chips, and salsa included ..... nice tender from the dock to the island with great picture views as well. Island was empty when we went ..... it was very nice and safe. 

Thanks, would love to do this, myself and my daughters (adults) would be able to but my father cannot walk far, nor my unfit husband so need to find something low activity level. 

Just now, kenzie said:

Thanks, would love to do this, myself and my daughters (adults) would be able to but my father cannot walk far, nor my unfit husband so need to find something low activity level. 

There is the bar and beach right there where the tenders dock on the island . If you can’t find something else they could always relax there and have a beer and food right on the water until your guide brings you back after your hike around the island. The boat ride there is very nice and slow and they would enjoy that ..... 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

There is the bar and beach right there where the tenders dock on the island . If you can’t find something else they could always relax there and have a beer and food right on the water until your guide brings you back after your hike around the island. The boat ride there is very nice and slow and they would enjoy that ..... 

Thanks, that is very helpful 

16 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

We were changed to Acapulco on our Panama Canal trip on the Bliss in April.  

We were on the same cruise. We were originally scheduled for Puerto Vallarta but it got changed to Acapulco. We had never been to Puerto Vallarta and were looking forward to it. Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed and apprehensive about Acapulco. As a result, we got off the ship for a few minutes to take pictures of the Acapulco sign and then got back on the ship, thinking we'd have it to ourselves. But many passengers had the same idea. 

Later in the day, we talked to some of the people who went into town or on excursions and they said it was fine. Nevertheless, if we were to return to Acapulco again, we'd have the same plan as before.

A few years ago our Panama Canal cruise included a stop in Acapulco.  We did an NCL excursion called Endangered Baby Sea Turtles and City Drive.  I don't know if that is still offered.  It was a lot of fun releasing the turtles into the ocean and learning about them.  Here is a link to my review and there are photos of this excursion if you are interested.

We had lunch at Los Delfines along the water.  It was a bit of a walk from the ship but a nice, casual place that we had almost to ourselves.

We never felt unsafe in Acapulco.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kenzie said:

I don't know - just assume the cruiseline would not endanger us - not sure what we are facing with danger here, see lots of comments re armed police, but does that not make you safer? 

Ask the people on Royal Carribean Ovation of the Seas earlier this week in New Zealand.  They are currently cancelling excursions to volcanoes in Italy.