On Grand Princess now (18-28 Dec 19)

damiross

I'm currently on the bumpy Grand Princess. If any one has questions then let me.  

Check in went really quick!  Dropped of the luggage, went through security, checked in, and boarded in about 20 minutes.

As always, my first night on a cruise is a long night so I won't have too much to say now.

• Like 1

Thanks "damiross".  I'll be getting on when you get off.  Seems you get Christmas and I get New Years to celebrate.  Can you post the first page of the Patter, showing the Officers names?  Many THANKS,   Stan

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, Gimer said:

Thanks "damiross".  I'll be getting on when you get off.  Seems you get Christmas and I get New Years to celebrate.  Can you post the first page of the Patter, showing the Officers names?  Many THANKS,   Stan

I don't have a scanner.  Here's the information 

• Captain Jon Paul Bryant
  • Staff Captain Salvatore Macera
  • Chief Engineer Officer Jonathan Pritchard
  • Hotel General Manager Adam Gorst
  • Entertainment Director Lee *
  • Senior Doctor Nadia Nair
  • Customer Services Director James Eaton
  • Food & Beverage Director Steve Britton
  • Cruise Director Steve Campbell
  • Staff Engineer Officer Rosario Ientile
  • Chief Electrical Officer Richard Carpenter
  • Environmental Office Daniel Miron
  • Executive Housekeeper Francisco Uzetal Leal
  • Executive Chef Johan ANtes
  • Maitre d'Hotel Oana Ionica 

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:07 AM, crhull said:

Would love to know the movies playing and how the cruise director and the others who run the nightly games ect are. We always enjoy this part and enjoy a funny engaging staff.  

So far the movies under the stars have included  Ad Astra, Judy, and Blinded by the Light.  

Cruise director Steve and his assistants Olive and Jody are fantastic!  They really get the audience engaged.

Okay, I had hoped to do the review daily. However, I'm having too much fun to make time for the review.  Hopefully I'll be able to make a fuller review when I get home.

As many of you know, Princess got rid of the 2nd chair in the balcony cabin.  I had to ask for a second one - we got it a few hours after embarkation.

Also, in the name of "saving the environment," (actually, saving the bottom line), Princess no longer has straws. They do, if you ask, give you a piece of rolled paper.  It's a piece of crap!  It led me to invent my copyrighted straw rating system:

1.  Best - plastic

2.  Okay - anything else but number 3

3.  Paper straw - piece of crap!

The production show last night (Thursday, 19 Dec) was Starburst. Great songs from the great singers like Perry Como and Doris Day.

Sunset, courtesy of Grand Princess.

sunset 20 dec.jpg

• Like 3

The food in the Horizon Court is average.  We ate in the Michelangelo dining room on last night (19 Dec).  I had the country chicken.  Not too bad.  I also finally remembers to order the Princess Volcano.  It tasted good.  It wasn't has tall as I expected it to be, though. 

4 hours ago, damiross said:

Also, in the name of "saving the environment," (actually, saving the bottom line), Princess no longer has straws. They do, if you ask, give you a piece of rolled paper.  It's a piece of crap!  It led me to invent my copyrighted straw rating system:

1.  Best - plastic

2.  Okay - anything else but number 3

3.  Paper straw - piece of crap!

Image may contain: text

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Linsifer said:

I bought a few metal straws on Amazon.  They come in a little soft pouch with draw string.  I keep it in my purse. 

I recently bought some metal ones too and was thinking of bringing a couple with me on my next cruise. I don't like using plastic straws but I also don't like the taste or feel of paper ones. I like the metal ones, I think it keeps my cold drinks cold longer but that might just be in my imagination. 🙂

Since you offered to answer any questions ....

Can you find out from the Maitre'd if they will sell a wine bottle package on a shorter sailing (5 nights) at their discounted rate?  

We know it is sold on sailings of 10 days or more but have seen exceptions.  We are boarding for a 5 night sailing in January and we can bring our own wine and pay the corkage but it would be nicer if they would sell us the wine bottle package instead.  

thanks in advance!  

14 hours ago, gwade said:

FYI. The new internet is smoking fast. Was streaming disney+ last night. Streamed some football this afternoon. Best internet at sea I have encountered. 

Good to know.  We were just looking into the 4 device package for our upcoming sailing.  

So what upgrades are on the Grand I have read the grill and pizzeria? More options on the pizza and grill? Also looks like drink packages changed as well. Is the seats more comfortable in the Explorer lounge? Any changes in the International Café? Their options for food have been the same for quite awhile.Thanks for any info.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:25 PM, damiross said:

I'm currently on the bumpy Grand Princess. If any one has questions then let me.  

Check in went really quick!  Dropped of the luggage, went through security, checked in, and boarded in about 20 minutes.

As always, my first night on a cruise is a long night so I won't have too much to say now.

I was on the inaugural cruise of the Carnival Panorama and we passed the Grand off the coast of Baja on the 20th. Sorry for poor quality it was from my cellphone. 

174CA614-DF90-4B93-B7CA-DBF04CA0DE49.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 10:25 PM, damiross said:

Could you please tell me if the gym has the newer Precor equipment with TVs? Thanks Im looking for this elliptical with the blue trim it says AMT and looks like this (picture just taken on Royal Princess) https://imgur.com/a/GEebYaa

On 12/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, gwade said:

FYI. The new internet is smoking fast. Was streaming disney+ last night. Streamed some football this afternoon. Best internet at sea I have encountered. 

Fast except during the time of about 9:00 p.m. to 11:00.  Then it was very slow.

22 hours ago, Anonymous234 said:

Could you please tell me if the gym has the newer Precor equipment with TVs? Thanks Im looking for this elliptical with the blue trim it says AMT and looks like this (picture just taken on Royal Princess) https://imgur.com/a/GEebYaa

Sorry - I didn't go to the gym so I'm unable to confirm or deny your question.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:01 PM, twnkltoz said:

I am also getting on when you get off! Are they doing The Voice at Sea? Any other fun games/events? Did they do the mystery at sea game?

Yes, they had Voice at Sea.  

The trivia was fantastic.  There was a mystery game.  Pictionary, a version of match game, and other games were played.

Judy, Jodi, Olivia, and (especially) Saskia are the assitant cruise directors and are fantastic!

On 12/26/2019 at 10:40 AM, crhull said:

So what upgrades are on the Grand I have read the grill and pizzeria? More options on the pizza and grill? Also looks like drink packages changed as well. Is the seats more comfortable in the Explorer lounge? Any changes in the International Café? Their options for food have been the same for quite awhile.Thanks for any info.

It's been a while since I was on the Grand so my memory may not be so accurate.

There were a couple of more options at the deck 15 pizza place.    The grill has hot dogs, chili dogs, and tacos now.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:04 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Since you offered to answer any questions ....

Can you find out from the Maitre'd if they will sell a wine bottle package on a shorter sailing (5 nights) at their discounted rate?  

We know it is sold on sailings of 10 days or more but have seen exceptions.  We are boarding for a 5 night sailing in January and we can bring our own wine and pay the corkage but it would be nicer if they would sell us the wine bottle package instead.  

thanks in advance!  

Sorry I can't help you with this.