What is the latest you have boarded? NCL Sun

Dawnya00

Hi! I am sure I could ask this on the Florida port forum but I am looking for specific information on boarding times with NCL, and the Sun.

I am flying into MCO the night before, sorta of late, 10:40pm or so. My plan was to get an airport hotel then shuttle/Uber to Cocoa Beach and spend the day at the beach before boarding to ship. I am wondering if it is just better to bite the bullet and get out to the coast the night I fly in and then wake up enjoying the ocean.

All of my previous cruises, I am want to board as soon as possible. :classic_biggrin: This trip, I need to slow my pace a little and enjoy the beach as much as I can, as the cruise only has 2 port days and I am coming from the tundra in Minnesota. It is just my adult son and I, so I think we will get through fairly quickly.

I am aware of the 2 hour on preboard requirement for embarkation. What is the latest you have gotten to the port on a ship the size of Sun? I am Gold Latitudes status, not that it matters much.

Thanks!

Well we know boarding starts at 11:30.  Get there early is pointless as the terminal is dreary.  The ship has a long journey to get all the way to Mexico and leaves at 4.  The mandatory lifeboat drill is at 3.  I would be melting down sitting at the beach worrying about all that can go wrong on the way to the ship.  There was not much of a line and there cannot be one on a ship with so few passengers. 

We like to board early, so I cannot give you any specific late boarding experience.  Our recent experiences at the Sun were nice check-ins, perhaps in part because the terminal is able to handle larger ships.

I understand your hopes of maximizing beach time and minimizing inconvenience.     I do think you will get more beach time if you wake up at the beach hotel.  Of course, that assumes weather that morning is conducive to beach time.

When is the cruise?  If weeks or months away, you might consider making two cancelable hotel reservations, one at the airport and one at the beach.  As the date of the cruise approaches, check weather and your feelings.  If weather looks great, cancel airport hotel, plan to take the evening uber to beach hotel, and enjoy walking up at the beach.  If the weather is uncooperative, cancel beach hotel, just stay at the airport, and head to port at your convenience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I do think you will get more beach time if you wake up at the beach hotel.  Of course, that assumes weather that morning is conducive to beach time.

This is brilliant.  Yes.  It can be cold- check the weather in Orlando.  

1 hour ago, ew101 said:

This is brilliant.  Yes.  It can be cold- check the weather in Orlando.  

Yes, we can have cool weather in Florida, though the Minnesotans probably will never consider it really cold (I’m a transplant from the upper Midwest).  Rain or strong winds could impact one’s decision to go to the beach on a given day.

• Like 1