Hub 'chat' & Internet

msled

1 minute ago, msled said:

If your whole group has internet, does that work decently enough for messaging each other using iPhones.  Or is the internet not reliable.

Each ship is different but in my experience, the Internet hasn't been the best. We typically don't get it because of the poor quality. That being said, the chat feature on The Hub app would be much cheaper for everyone in your group to communicate. You can chat with anyone on the ship, who has the feature enabled. 

22 minutes ago, msled said:

If your whole group has internet, does that work decently enough for messaging each other using iPhones.  Or is the internet not reliable.

With just the Social plan, you can use one of the popular messaging apps, like WhatsApp, facebook messenger, snapchat, etc. Officially, Carnival says that iMessage is not supported on the Social plan, but I've seen plenty of people report that it does. We used it on the Social plan a few years ago. Since then, we've bought the Value plan and iMessage does work on that. As teknoge3k said, much of it will depend on the ship because the wifi service varies. Which ship will you be cruising on? For texting one another, however, wifi signal is usually good enough regardless of the ship, with some dead spots on certain ships.

We've never used the Hub chat feature, but from what I've read on here, its quality seems to be improving. But it, too, can experience bad, buggy service. Like delayed messages or messages that are never received. If you use the Hub chat, you have to make sure to leave the app running, don't close it. If you close it, messages won't go through until you open it again.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, teknoge3k said:

When does the Magic move to San Diego? Do you mean the Miracle? 

My bad...  it is the Miracle.  I was working from memory, that isn't very good.

• Like 1