Trying to figure out transportation

roxanne207

So I'm coming in on a cruise for a day, and I'm not a touristy excursion kind of girl. I've been to Cozumel a couple of times, but it's been a really long time. You all have given me great advice and I know I want to go to the coral Princess and snorkel. Then want to head over to Chen Rio for lunch, maybe going to San Gervasio on the way if the crew wants to. Then driving back towards the pier around the island, maybe stopping at Rasta's for a drink and anywhere else that sounds good. I'm just now sure is we should taxi, private driver or what. There will be between 2 and 9 of us, I'll have a better count later. Suggestions? 

1 hour ago, roxanne207 said:

So I'm coming in on a cruise for a day, and I'm not a touristy excursion kind of girl. I've been to Cozumel a couple of times, but it's been a really long time. You all have given me great advice and I know I want to go to the coral Princess and snorkel. Then want to head over to Chen Rio for lunch, maybe going to San Gervasio on the way if the crew wants to. Then driving back towards the pier around the island, maybe stopping at Rasta's for a drink and anywhere else that sounds good. I'm just now sure is we should taxi, private driver or what. There will be between 2 and 9 of us, I'll have a better count later. Suggestions? 

You don’t say which pier you are coming in to, or how long  your ship is in port.

That sounds like a lot to fit in a basic port day, depending on how long you want to snorkel. If you have a group as big as 9, I would definitely want to pre -arrange transport with that route. You will not just pick up transport on the east side. We generally book ToursPlaza and they can arrange for a large van.

I am wondering why you have picked Coral Princess for snorkeling? It is an unusual choice for  a day tripper. I understood you could use their restaurant but I was not aware you could use their facilities.

Thanks. Coral Princess was suggested on another board as "you can't get any better shore snorkeling" I am checking with them to be sure and will pick another spot if we can't. We may not circle the island if we spend a lot of time snorkeling, I just really wanted to get to the east side.

But remember all these drivers Black Hat or Tours Plaza do charge extra after 3 or 4 hours.

And I thought the Coral Princess only offered a day pass for cruisers, not just open to any one pay-go.

But I would skip San Gervasio, unless your party wants to see ruins or has never seen ruins. Maybe hit the Tequila Factory instead. And as long as you are heading toward Rasta's, why not make it your lunch stop too.  Ceviche is among the best on the island and the coconut shrimp is fantastic.

But that is a full agenda so you may feel rushed to soak it all in, unless your ship is there for extended hours.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, roxanne207 said:

You are looking to go all over the island, and you don't really need to do that.  Rastas and Chen Rio are on the east side of island.  San Gervasio is in jungle on north middle of island.  Snorkeling can be done at many places, not just one resort. The most popular reef for snorkeling is the one right in front of Money Bar.

If you try to do all this, you will end up driving on the roads most of your port time.  I would pick an area of island to visit and go with that.  

If you want to snorkel, have lunch and drinks... you could go to Money Bar for all 3.

There are also some beach clubs farther south from there that offer both.

There are also excursions that go up northwest side of island to small beach clubs that can do both.

I think Shore excursioneer offers a tour where you go on a snorkeling catamaran, stop at a beach restaurant for lunch, then take a jeep tour afterwards.  With a group of 4 or more that might be a good deal for all of you.  Never done it, just saw it on their website.  

There is also the BarHop that can take you around the island stopping at east side beach/bar clubs, but not snorkeling.  

Personally.. Rastas and Chen Rio are just okay, Rastas is a dive bar and not worth more than the 20 minutes given by the BarHop.  

Just my 2 cents.....