Quebec City Restaurant recommendation

jefft5301

We'll be sailing out of Quebec City on Princess and we're looking for recommendations for places to eat. We're flying in the night before, so breakfast, lunch, and dinner recommendations will be appreciated.  My greatest fear is neither of us speak a word of French, so we'll need menus that are in English.

Thanks!

Jeff & Lanett

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Where is your hotel?  Presumably in the ‘tourist’ area in which case you ought not worry about being unable to speak/read French.... you’ll get all the help you need!

We're at the Marriott Downtown...it looks like a good location with a decent price....looking at Google maps there seem to be a number of places to chose from.

Thanks!  I could always try Rosetta Stone to learn how to order dinner 🙂

2 hours ago, jefft5301 said:

dinner recommendations will be appreciated

Our favorite for years has be Le Continental right behind Fairmont Chateau Frontenac. Old school french place with tableside preparation and flambe. Wonderful experience and consistently good for many years. 

2 hours ago, jefft5301 said:

My greatest fear is neither of us speak a word of French, so we'll need menus that are in English.

Theres a French Canadian veneer but nearly everything is universally bilingual and there isn't anyone who doesn't speak English fluently. 

I agree with post above re: both the resto and the lack of difficulty using English. If you get outside the city you may run into issues, but in downtown even if you spoke French you'd find yourself being answered in English more often than not! Unless you're fluent, all the touristy areas of Quebec City & Montreal will have staff whose English is much better than  your French.

For more casual bistro fare, the resto I always dine in on every visit is Lapin Saute, in the lower city - as the name suggests they offer several Rabbit dishes, and solid brekkie/lunch options. While personally I find it veers too much into 'Ye Olde Kitsch' with the staff outfits etc., Aux Anciens Canadiens remains a very popular spot to sample Quebecois fare - for a first-timer it's definitely one to consider as you're guaranteed to have many local specialties available.

Le Continental and Lapin Sauté are both good suggestions. Like martincath I am of two minds about Aux Anciens Canadiens. It really does date as a restaurant from the 18th Century and is attractively decorated, although as martincath suggests, verges towards kitschy. The food is traditional Québecois, meaning it is very hearty indeed and you should come with a good appetite. This is not a place for haute cuisine à la francaise. If you want to have dinner there, if you order before 6PM the lunchtime prices apply—the evening prices are considerably higher.

For lunch, if you are in the Lower Town, you might try Le Cochon Dingue (crazy pig) a French bistro across the street from Lapin Sauté and under the same ownership.  In the Upper Town, for lunch I like the Pub D’Orsay where I usually have their mussels and fries. Pub St-Alexandre is another favourite of mine. 

If if you want to splurge for dinner with traditional French cuisine, I think it’s hard to beat Le Saint-Amour in the Upper Town.  Laurie Raphaël and Légende are also very good restaurants in this category.  If you are looking for something cutting edge, there are a number of places in the Saint-Roch district that you could look up.

In the tourist parts of Québec City, you will have no problems with a lack of French.  Those dealing with the public will speak English and English menus are generally available