Changes in last two years?

weltek

I'm a seasoned NCL cruiser and Cruise Critic reader/poster, but have been largely AWOL since January 2018. I missed the new ship launches, so am catching up on those bit by bit. Has anything else major changed recently? I can't possibly read two years worth of threads, so looking for some clues. 🙂

OK, I'll toss out a few items randomly to get this rolling for you, assuming this is for a non-Haven experience, that you are Gold/Platinum or Plus (+) in status.

Most of the perks & privileges remained largely unchanged, based on tier level: welcome chocolate-covered strawberries, bottle of Duc sparkling bubbles, 2 or 4 bottles of "premium" NCL water (soon/next - eco.friendly water "cartons" instead),  no more straws, no more towel animals (only upon request) and no more ice/buckets (available upon request to RS).  DSC has gone up (again) to now at $15 p/p per day, higher in suites.  Prcies for specialty dining are higher, with a 20% service charge/fee ... (this has been in place for a while.)  No beach towels in the cabin, get them at poolside or at the gangway before going ashore.  

Welcome to the simplified and streamlined MDR and specialty dining menus ... changes rolling out again, starting with the mega/+ ships.  Seafood are getting harder to find without a surcharge, ditto for prime ribs or even shrimps in the MDR as a lunch and/or dinner option.  Coalfish is in ... (Mahi Mahi replaced Grouper, etc.) Theme nights in the buffet and O'Sheehan's (Locals) are/being phrased out or scaled back.  

I'm probably covering about 1/3 or 1/2 of what you might be interested in knowing ... can't help you with the UBP or UMP Premium upcharge option, etc.  Pricey satellite WiFi are now offered with a multi-user discount package, sold onboard, for your convenience - basic without streaming and with streaming.  

Checked luggage for a fee, for your convenience, not yet - coming soon (just kidding, maybe ... )  Early boarding as a bundled package for those without "status", for a fee, already being pilot tested.  

Edited by mking8288

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

no more towel animals (only upon request)

OMG - first of all, thank you weltek for starting this thread. I’m in a similar situation as you are. Cruised last ncl in Dec 2017, now just booked a cruise for Feb 2021. Trying to also understand what all has changed in the receny years. We cruised first ncl in 2009 and have cruised them since around 10 times but been away for the 2 years now. 

But back to the towel animals - OMG those were our favourites. Very sorry to hear they are gone. Any experiences of how the room attendants are reacting when asking to get those? Are they annoyed? I’d definitely tip them accordingly at the end of the cruise for providing us the lovely animals. 

25 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

But back to the towel animals - OMG those were our favourites. Very sorry to hear they are gone. Any experiences of how the room attendants are reacting when asking to get those? Are they annoyed? I’d definitely tip them accordingly at the end of the cruise for providing us the lovely animals. 

Some cabin stewards will do it. Some won’t (even on request). They continue to be the most overworked and under appreciated crew members. 

In part because of the time to make them and in part to resolute the environmental foot print (like straws) of the ship (2000 cabins x 3-4 towels a night x 7 nights that have to be washed, dried and folded). 

4 hours ago, weltek said:

I'm a seasoned NCL cruiser and Cruise Critic reader/poster, but have been largely AWOL since January 2018. I missed the new ship launches, so am catching up on those bit by bit. Has anything else major changed recently? I can't possibly read two years worth of threads, so looking for some clues. 🙂

MORE nickel and diming! 😞

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Some cabin stewards will do it. Some won’t (even on request). They continue to be the most overworked and under appreciated crew members. 

In part because of the time to make them and in part to resolute the environmental foot print (like straws) of the ship (2000 cabins x 3-4 towels a night x 7 nights that have to be washed, dried and folded). 

with no more animal towels to make and ice buckets to fill, did ncl give the stewards more cabins to service?

(ie: hire less to save them $$$) 

A few of these have been in place before my last sailing, but a few are new. I think the only thing I'll notice are internet options changing.  Maybe the ice in my stateroom and towel animals, but neither are a big deal for me at all. If I were in charge, I'd honestly consider cutting the same things. So, glad there are no massive changes I'll be navigating.