transatlantic crossing

deec

Has anyone crossed the Atlantic in March?  thinking of San Juan to Barcelona, but with many sea days I want warm sunny weather and calm seas.  I know there are no guarantees but wondering what is typical that time  of the year?

Edited by deec

Deec - much will depend on the route, which is based on the ports. I've probably crossed the Atlantic in most of the months and unfortunately, as you noted my experiences have been extremely varied.

Our last Eastbound was in April 2014 from Port Everglades to Europe and it was reasonably smooth sailing, clear skies and reasonable temps. Assuming you are late March and not going too far North, you have a reasonable chance of having a similar experience.

We did the early March sailing from San Juan in 2018 and 2019.  In both cases we had pleasant weather but the temperatures in 2019 weren’t warm enough for most to get in the outdoor pool. 

In 2018 we experienced rolling seas perpendicular to the direction of the ship for most of the crossing. I don’t think it caused seasickness for many but it did require that you hold the handrails and watch your step. Below is a video showing this movement. 

This past spring, we had mostly smooth seas except for one or two days when it was rough enough that my dear MIL felt ill. 

Hope hou decide to cruise, we loved it and wish we were going again this year-thought we would probably do the one from Miami since it’s a day longer and it’s cheaper to get to Miami than SJ. 

• Like 1