breakfast in New Orleans close to port

kapeaccruiser

A little known gem next to the port is a location of Café Du Monde built inside of the shopping mall right there at the pier!

There is no line and they make them on-site, right in front of you like the flagship location! We took an Uber to the mall the morning of our cruise then actually walked back to our hotel and still made it back to the port at 10:30 or so.

• Like 4

How about  Brennan's? 417 Royal Street. Wonderful food, fabulous street.

P,ort of New Orleans, 2 miles from Brennan's. I just love this place. So does everybody else. You may need a reservation, 1(504) 525-9711.

Mary

Edited by warburg
  • Like 1

I would second the beignets and chicory coffee for breakfast. And you can walk out  on the boardwalk and towers and the ship is right there. We have stayed at the Hilton and Harrahs right there on the waterfront and walked over every morning. 

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I would second the beignets and chicory coffee for breakfast. And you can walk out  on the boardwalk and towers and the ship is right there. We have stayed at the Hilton and Harrahs right there on the waterfront and walked over every morning. 

While I'll definitely agree with the beignets and coffee, it's worth it to go to the "real" Cafe Du Monde, in Jackson Square. Even when it's busy, it's never a long wait, and the atmosphere and surroundings are so much better than the one in the Riverside Mall.

Nothing in downtown New Orleans is very far from the pier. 

• Like 1

Surrey's Uptown was our best breakfast last time we were in New Orleans.  It is in the Garden District but an easy UBER ride for sure.  For that matter you can take the Trolley most of the way and walk to it south of St Charles. 

Edited by kdpatte

If you go to mothers get debris as your meat. The Ruby Slipper is another good breakfast spot. A couple blocks further than mother’s but closer than all of the French Quarter recommendations. The absolute closest is the riverwalk mall version of cafe du monde.

Mothers is fantastic, but it can get a little pricey. Worth going if you are staying somewhere within walking distance or you can catch a streetcar. 

Our pre-cruise breakfast ritual is Two Chicks Cafe. It's located in the bottom of Fulton Parking garage on Convention Center Blvd. The food is fresh, inexpensive and DELICIOUS.

We were just in NOLA Dec 26-29 prior to a week on the Glory.  Beignets are fine if you want donuts.  If you want maybe the best breakfast you've ever had, go to one of the Ruby Slipper locations.  We ate there the morning of Dec 27 and it was so good we went back Dec 28.  I know there are a couple of locations within walking distance (15-20 minutes) of the Carnival port.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:07 AM, grantbob said:

Mothers is fantastic, but it can get a little pricey. Worth going if you are staying somewhere within walking distance or you can catch a streetcar. 

Our pre-cruise breakfast ritual is Two Chicks Cafe. It's located in the bottom of Fulton Parking garage on Convention Center Blvd. The food is fresh, inexpensive and DELICIOUS.

Another vote for Two Chicks.  We are in NOLA now and ate there this morning.  The Under the Sea omelette was heavenly.  Not many places where I live can you get REAL crab in your omelette.  Very good fresh fruit and toast to go with it.  About $11.  It says 900 Convention Center Blvd, but the entrance is on Diamond St around the corner.

• 3 months later...

Vote for both Mothers and Ruby Slipper... Now I've not had breakfast at Mother's but Ruby Slippers shrimp and grits is the best! I love me some Mothers for lunch/dinner! I second the debris! So delicious!