John and Diane's Latest Adventures - 2020

tennisbeforewine

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Papeete, Tahiti

Could there be a more beautiful group of islands in the world than French Polynesia?  Having taken a cruise among the islands for our 40th anniversary (several years ago), we saw nothing but beauty from sunrise to sunset.  If it’s not the blue to turquoise water or the white, sandy beaches, it’s the plethora of colorful flowers and the green mountains on most islands.  If you’ve never been here, I’d strongly suggest you put it on your list.

We docked at about 7:00, but knowing that nothing would be open that early, we didn’t disembark until about 9:00, when our first stop was the pharmacy across the street.  I needed some of my anti-itch medicine and they don’t sell it at home, so whenever I’m in France or French Polynesia, I stock up.  Then we began our stroll, through the fairly new park area along the water.  There we saw a group of about a hundred people who were dressed in the same fabric:  shirts for the men and dresses for the women.  We assumed it was a dance group, but soon discovered otherwise.  After their photos were taken by a professional, they began to wander off.  I stopped two women and asked if they were a hula group.  They responded that they were a political group who were supporting a candidate for mayor; indeed, it was one of the women I was speaking to.  

From there we continued on until we took a one-block jog inland in search of one of our favorite stops:  Champion Supermarket (pronounced Sham-pee-yon since it’s French).  It is so much fun to shop in a French market.  They always have at least a hundred varieties of cheese (of the 365 that France is reputed to produce), excellent wines, and some of our favorite delicacies, like Pim’s cookies.  We did limit our shopping, however, and got out for under $50.00 US.  I think a French picnic on the balcony will be planned for tomorrow.  

Then it was time to head the other direction, checking out the stores that sold more black pearls than I knew existed.  We wandered through the Marche, the huge building which houses markets for everything from gorgeous tropical flower arrangements to fresh fish to more of those black pearls to souvenirs of all types.  We consider it a required stop at any call at Papeete because it is such a reflection of the people and the culture.

We continued on to find our postcard and then our stamp, so that was taken care of.  We had made arrangements to meet Rich and Ginni for lunch at Trois Brasseurs (Three Brewers), a favorite pub where they make all their own beer (which earned two thumbs up from Rich).  It was so hot that John and I drank Panaches, a drink called Radler in Germany and Shandy in England; it’s a half and half combination of beer and 7-Up.  I know it doesn’t sound great, but on a day when the temperature is near 90 and the rains began, it really is refreshing.  In fact, the name “Radler” in German means “Rider,” since it was originally developed to refresh long-distance bicyclists while limiting the amount of alcohol in their systems.  

Ginni was late because her pedicure lasted about two and a half hours (for $20.00), so I went around the corner to fetch her.  While there, I made an appointment for 3:00, but when I returned, the doors were locked and the owner told me through an opening that his nail lady had to go home.  Maybe I’ll find a place in Tonga!

By then it was almost 4:00, so I headed back to the ship to experience more frustration with the internet.   Getting to any website seems to take forever.  If you remember “dial-up,” this is worse.  In addition to that, it just keeps rejecting my photos.  I’m going to take my laptop ashore in port tomorrow, find a place with internet, and hopefully you’ll get a bunch of photos.  

• Like 3

Monday, February 24, 2020

Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Yesterday was John’s birthday, and considering that he really doesn’t like birthdays or to be the center of attention, he was a very good sport.  After I posted a picture of him in his Cub Scout uniform to wish him a happy birthday, Facebook filled up with greetings from near and far.  Friends stopped him during the day to extend greetings, and Rich and Ginni hosted a birthday cocktail party in their suite, where I think a good time was had by all.  By John’s request we just had dinner at our regular table, but when the birthday cake arrived, it came accompanied by about twenty waiters who sang our favorite Indonesian birthday song.  I always sing along, but one of these days I’m going to have to learn the actual words.  

The South Pacific continues to enchant.  What’s to complain about when you’re on an island surrounded by a sapphire-blue lagoon and centered by a dormant volcano dressed by nature in vibrant green.  The weather here is warm year round, and those characteristics draw visitors from all over, but primarily from New Zealand and Australia.  

If you want to take a look at the whole island, as we did, you just jump on the bus and, in 55 minutes (more or less - island time, you understand), you have circled the whole thing.  

The people are extremely friendly and anytime we had a question, they were happy to give us directions, send us to the local Vodaphone for an internet card, or whatever we needed.  We wanted to go to the beach, but first we were going to see the whole island, so we bought our $5.00 NZ (about $3.50 US) tickets for the whole trip.  The foliage was beautiful, the houses were simple (but don’t need to include heaters), and in front of most houses were granite or marble graves of their family members.  The bus is very casual and it was fun to watch our driver wave at or shake hands with friends.  

When we returned to our starting point in the middle of town, it was time to call home to talk to our granddaughter, but after about 15 minutes we had to end the call fairly abruptly because our next bus was ready to leave.  We rode for about 25 minutes until we arrived at Muri Beach, more specifically the Muri Beach Resort.  I really don’t much like beaches because of the sand (sounds silly, I know), but if I get to a resort, as opposed to a public beach, there’s always a pool and a restaurant.  Generally, no matter how elegant the resort, if you go to the restaurant and buy lunch, they don’t mind if you use the facilities.  We’ve found this true (several times) at the Moorea Intercontinental Hotel, other resort hotels, and today at Muri Beach.  

We set ourselves up on the beach lounge chairs and then wandered into the almost body temperature water.  The only problem was that there were lots of rocks under the water and we’d forgotten our beach walkers.  Oh well, it was wonderful anyway.  Then we were getting hungry, so we wandered up to the bar/restaurant and had adult beverages and bar snacks (grilled calimari and chicken skewers) while we waited for time to catch the return bus.  

By the time we got off the bus near the tenders, it had begun to rain, but we ignored it and headed to the supermarket across the street where we bought treats to go with thank you cards for birthday gifts. Then we hopped on the tender and very shortly found ourselves back “home” on the ship.  It’s great that port nights are quite casual, but after the salt water and the rain, I’m really in need of a shower and hair wash.  I’d have loved to spend a week here, but that’s one of the only drawbacks to a cruise - only staying one (or two if we’re lucky) day in a place.  It does, however, show us where we’d like to re-visit, and this is one of those places.   

P. S.  I WILL get photos posted - hopefully in Tonga in a couple of days.  

• Like 4

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

At Sea en route to Tonga

It’s always nice to have guests at dinner, and last night was no exception.  Our guest was a young Dutchman named Denis (yes, that’s the spelling) who happens to be the son of Philip Stolte, the Restaurant Manager.  Denis, who is studying hotel management in Holland, usually sails a segment of the world cruise with his dad, and his mom comes on as well, but often their schedules don’t allow them to come together.  We’ve known Denis for a few world cruises, and last year when he mentioned that he and a buddy would be driving through the United States, including most of the California coast, we invited him to stop and stay with us.  He called  one day and said that their schedule was rushed and they wouldn’t be able to stay the night, but they’d like to come by on Saturday to say hello.  Coincidentally, that was the day that John’s family reunion was taking place in our backyard, and even though we warned Denis, he came anyway.

Denis and Sven (a nordic name for a Dutchman, right?) came by and spent most of the day.  They charmed everyone and had, according to their account, a wonderful time.  They finally left at about 5:00, headed to San Francisco.  John suggested that they not miss a chance to drive up Highway 1, and if you’ve done that, you’ll understand why.  It’s one of the most scenic highways in the country, sitting atop cliffs that go down hudreds of feet into the ocean.  Because of their route, they didn’t get to San Francisco until almost midnight, but Denis told us last night that it was the most beautiful part of their entire trip. He’s a delightful young man and we always enjoy his company.  

Today is Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday.”  That means that tomorrow will be Ash Wednesday, right?  Wrong!  We’re in that part of the world where we cross the International Dateline, so we lose Wednesday and skip directly to Thursday.  In church on Sunday, the minister announced that Ash Wednesday services would be held on Thursday, at which point everyone directed puzzled looks at him.  He explained that this would be a once in a lifetime experience, since Ash Wednesday didn’t happen, so we would celebrate Ash Thursday.  An interesting concept, but I’m sure many will be there.  

Regardless of the absence of Wednesday, today is still Fat Tuesday, and there will be a “bead party” in the Crow’s Nest after dinner.  I’ve just spent some time speaking with Thomas, the Assistant Cruise Director, and he promised that even though we’ll arrive late, he’ll save some beads for me.  With that to look forward to, how could anything be better?  

• Like 2

Thursday, February 27, 2020

At Sea en route to Tonga

Well, it happened.  We went to bed on Tuesday, February 25 and woke up on Thursday, February 27!  It was just like magic and suddenly it was “Ash Thursday.”  Really, though, it’s always fascinating to me how the International Dateline works.  As Captain Jonathan explained, when Ferdinand Magellan’s crew arrived home after circumnavigating the globe (without Magellan, as he had been killed somewhere along the way), they discovered that they were a day “off” on their calculations and that began the realization that there were what we now call “time zones.”  The earth, as you probably know, is divided into 24 time zones, but at one point, which we just crossed, they back up to each other and we lose a whole day, or conversely, if we’re sailing eastbound, we gain a whole day.  

In 2010, on our only eastbound world cruise, our friend Rene, the spa manager, had her birthday on the day that was repeated.  She was soooo excited about having “two” birthdays, but at the end of the second day, she said, “I don’t think I ever want to have another birthday.  I’m exhausted from all the celebrating!”  She and I were talking this morning about the people on board whose birthdays are on February 26 and who didn’t get a birthday at all this year.  

Last night was Mardi Gras, and everything was green, gold, purple, and sparkling.  The dining room waiters wore sequined vests in those colors as well as jesters’ hats.  At each place at each table we found beads and sequined masks.  We wore the beads, but masks at dinner aren’t terribly comfortable, so they were put aside for our “care package” to send to our granddaughter from Auckland.  

After dinner, instead of going to the show, we headed up to the Crow’s Nest, where there was a “bead party.”  In addition to the beads from the dining room, we were treated to several more strands, until I felt like I could hardly hold up my head.  The Station Band was playing great rock and roll dance music, the room was crowded, and hors d’oeuvres were being passed by crew members.  We chatted with friends and danced.  When the band played “Play That Funky Music, White Boy,” John’s favorite dance song, he was a happy camper.  Unfortunately they skipped my favorite, “Old Time Rock and Roll,” but perhaps another night.  

Since today was “Ash Thursday,” there was an ecumenical service at 10:00 in the Mainstage.  The room was almost full, and the minister and priest conducted a moving service, followed by the application of ashes to our foreheads.  Congregants left quietly, feeling, I think, like they had had a significant beginning to the season of Lent.

Today has given us absolutely perfect weather and seas.  It’s about 80 degrees, there are light winds, and the sea is so calm as to almost look like little hills when we look at it.  When John and company played paddle tennis, he said that wind was basically non-existent.  This is one of those days when you hardly feel that you’re on a ship.

Tomorrow is Tonga, a port we’ve visited and enjoyed a couple of times.  The people are friendly, the ocean is warm, and we’re really looking forward to it.  

P. S.  The photos are from our Pitcairn Island Day.  They loaded quickly - one of the great mysteries of life.  

IMG_E1681.jpg

IMG_E1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, tennisbeforewine said:

Since I had such good luck uploading photos, I'm going to push my luck and try to include a few from Ushuaia.  The young lady is named High and she's a new crew member from Thailand (and crew member of the month!)  She had never seen snow, let alone glaciers and icebergs.

we met High on our 79 day back to back cruises to Peru and the South Pacific back in Sept thru Dec last year on the Amsterdam.. what a beautiful and pleasant young lady.. always smiling .. she worked in the Seaview Bar as well as the Ocean Bar.. best of the best.. a BIG CONGRATS to her for being chosen 'crew member of the month'.. she deserves it   🙂

Edited by Stakeout

Friday, February 28, 2020

The Kingdom of Tonga

Get yourselves comfortable, because there’s a lot to write about.  First I’ll start with our activities in Tonga.  We’ve been here a few times before, once to take a taxi tour around the island and usually just to wander the town, the last time discovering a nail salon which did pedicures without a drop of water - really!  Needless to say, it wasn’t my favorite pedicure.  This time we decided we wanted to get off the island, and the tourist office’s suggestion was a small motu (not quite an island) about 7-8 minutes offshore.  It turned out to be almost a  two mile walk to the “ferry” which would take us there.  The ferry turned out to be a small wooden boat with a row of seats on each side, some of which actually were padded.

The tourist office fellow told us that “ferries” left at 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00 and returned at 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00.  I guess there was an error in communication, because when we arrived at the boarding spot, it said that the boat left at 11:00 and returned at 4:00.  With a 4:30 all-aboard time, that wasn’t what we wanted to hear.  John and I and our new friend Lori hung around for more than an hour and, when the pilot showed up, we negotiated to have him bring us back at 3:00 (for only an extra $5.00 per person).  The transportation, which included lunch on the motu, cost $60.00 each (Tongan), which turned out to be $24.00 US.  We thought that was a pretty good deal, so we signed up.

There was no way that this could be called a resort; it was a tropical building with a covered “dining area” and a short dock over some beautiful blue-green water filled with colorful fish. About a hundred feet from the dock is a shipwreck which was named Pangaimotu (the name of the motu), and subtitled “Big Mama Yacht Club.” We spent the time swimming, lying in the sun, chatting, and having lunch - a choice of fish and chips, cheeseburger, or grilled teriyaki chicken sandwich.  After John walked the circumference of the island, which took about 45 minutes and I had a bit of a nap, the three of us decided we really wanted to return about 2:00, which in island time turned out to be about 2:30.  It was a wonderful, relaxing day, and the transportation, lunch, and three beers (one for me, two for John) cost the grand total of $71.00 US for both of us, a whole lot less than the kayak trip over with lunch that the ship sold for $139.95 each.  

When the little boat unloaded us at the dock, we decided to walk back to the ship, and what had been a nice warm walk at 10:00 was a hot and humid walk at 2:30.  A short nap prepared me for a lovely sailaway at 4:30, and then the fun began.

A few days ago, someone (who shouldn’t have said anything) told us that the Indonesian ports and Singapore were going to be cancelled because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and our itinerary would be significantly changed.  During sailaway, Captain Jonathan made that announcement and told us that we would receive letters in our cabins explaining the situation and providing the new itinerary.  

At this point (and we’d be willing to bet there will be more changes), we will finish our Australian ports at Darwin, on the north coast, and then proceed directly west for seven

sea days (oh my!), before calling at Hambantota, Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon).  We’ve been told by a friend that there’s basically nothing there but a container port, but the captain told John and I that it’s close to the largest leopard sanctuary in the world.  Then we proceed to Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka, before having two sea days en route to Mumbai (Bombay), where we’ll spend three days.  I do love Mumbai, but John’s already talking about contacting our Indian travel agent for an overnight at a nearby spot - but we don’t know where.  

Since the Maldives will no longer accept cruise ships, it was cancelled, and we’ll have another four sea days to Praslin, Seychelles.  We’ve been told by friends who’ve been there that it is an absolutely gorgeous spot with one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  Then we proceed to Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles (where everything is beautiful) for two days.  

The other port which will be eliminated is Mombasa, Kenya, because of serious threats of terrorist activity toward western tourists and safari groups.  Because of that, after Victoria and two sea days, we’ll have two days in Zanzibar and then resume our prior itinerary.  

Most passengers seem to be quite understanding about the changes, realizing that with a disease on the verge of becoming a pandemic, the safest place to be is on a cruise ship (unless it’s quarantined) and there really is no choice about places that have to be cancelled.  However, there are always the angry few who are incredibly resentful and act as though their plans are more important than the health and safety of about 2000 passengers and crew.  Apparently some of that latter group started talking about just flying to Indonesia and/or Singapore, after which we received a card saying that anyone who left the ship to visit those places would NOT be allowed to rejoin the cruise.  That’s all we need:  someone to go off the ship, pick up the virus, and return to infect many of us who remained.  It seems the height of selfishness to me.  

The group for whom I feel the most sympathy is the Indonesian crew, most of whom had planned to see their families during our port calls.  The Balinese crew had been especially looking forward to an overnight call there, allowing them to go home for a longer visit, but it is not to be.  Since Auckland is the end of the second segment, we plan to be especially generous with our segment tips.  

For the two of us, we’re just glad that our health and safety are foremost with HAL, and while I will miss Singapore, It’s far more important that we’ll all be healthy and cozy on our beautiful little ship

P. S.  The upload gods are with me, so I posted the photos from Papeete.  The two ladies with me are the mayoral candidate and her campaign chair.    

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_E1756.jpg

IMG_E1761.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_E1783.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_E1929.thumb.jpg.c4b66511391c8253e948a4bda675e24b.jpg

Sunday, March 1, 2020

At Sea en route to Auckland, New Zealand

These two sea days have been an interesting transition from our time in Polynesia.  The temperature and the humidity have been decreased while the ocean remains beautiful and the sky contains just enough clouds to make it photogenic.  The sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous, including the photo I’m going to (try to) upload of an incredible sunset.  

I’m being optimistic and trying to include a few photos from Tonga, as well as Mardi Gras and last evening’s formal (whoops, gala) night.  We’re all being hopeful that the internet will improve, and today’s post will show me whether it will or not.  

Today was a Sunday at sea, and that means Sunday brunch.  I understand that there are four rotations of menu, and today it was back to number 1.  Each of three plates has six or seven tiny little bites of heaven, one plate cold, the next hot, and the last dessert.  Six of our group of eight met, and it’s funny to watch us trade little bites.  While I love deviled eggs and don’t like smoked salmon, Ginni is just the opposite, so we traded.  Speaking of (grilled) salmon, I’ve been ordering it at dinner about twice a week and it has been wonderful.  Indy, our waiter, told us that HAL switched suppliers and whoever they use now gets two thumbs up.  

We have few specific plans for Auckland for the next two days, but one visit we always enjoy is the town of Devonport, a short ferry ride away.  Ginni has an art supply store that almost makes her salivate, and after wandering the streets for awhile, we head to The Patriot, a wonderful pub where we can sit outside and order “heaven in a bucket.”  They have the most delicious green-lip mussels which put our West Coast mussels to shame.  They’re called that because the dark shell has a green border at the top, and the size of each mussel varies from huge to enormous.  Can’t wait!

P. S.  Only two would upload - so much for optimism.  I'll try the rest at Starbucks in Auckland tomorrow morning.  

IMG_E1984.jpg

IMG_E2026.jpg

• Like 3

Monday, March 2, 2020

Auckland, New Zealand (Day 1)

I love New Zealand and I could move here in a nanosecond.  Unfortunately, the government prefers immigrants who are under 55, and we haven’t been there for quite some time.  We’ve been to several NZ ports and driven around the countryside, and it really reminds me of where we live in Central California - except with a lot more sheep.

There are slightly more than four million people here and twenty million sheep.

After we docked today, our merry band of travelers met to take a ferry to Devonport Village, a ten-minute ride away.  Since the ferry terminal is right next to the ship, it didn’t take a lot of effort to get there.  We’ve been going to Devonport for three visits now, primarily to visit The Patriot, a charming pub which serves wonderful green-lipped mussels.  

When we arrived at the village, we split up, John and I to find a tasty cappuccino and the others to stop in at the Salvation Army store and then the art supply store which we had discovered last year.  Our coffee stop, Manuka (named after the local honey)  enabled us to actually access real internet, and I was able to take care of a couple of errands on my phone.  

After the coffee stop, we headed to Mt. Victoria, which is called a mountain but is actually more of a hill.  It provides a good hike, though, and once at the top we enjoyed some beautiful views of the harbor, the ocean, and a few of the islands nearby.  

We all met at the pub at noon to sit in the back garden and have some great food.  John and I shared fish and chips, while Rich, Ginni, and Leslie shared fish and chips, an order of cheesy bread (delicious!), and an order of calimari.  Later we were joined by Greg and Heo as well as Alan and Sandra and, as usual, a good time was had by all.  We missed our friends Bill and Jane, though, since they were here with us last year.

Then it was time for us to get the next ferry back to the city so we could go on a hunt for the proper band to alleviate John’s tennis elbow pain while he plays paddle tennis.  We found a couple of possibilities, so we’ll check them out online and make a decision tomorrow.

On last year’s cruise, we met Tim, the Sanitation Officer, and the three of us really got along well.  This year, as a response to one of John’s FB posts, Tim’s wife Sharon replied and asked if we could get together while in Auckland.  We were pleased to do so, and at 3:00 this afternoon we met up with Tim, Sharon, and their two kids as well as Robert, one of the engineers on board.  After chatting for a bit, we headed down to a harbor-front pub (we do spend time elsewhere sometimes) for a beverage and a nice long chat.  It turns out that Tim was supposed to board today, but apparently there was a glitch and he’s still waiting for his assignment - with suitcase packed.  

After a bit of a rest, we headed out for dinner and ended up at (wait for it . . . ) a pub named O’Hagan’s, where we’ve visited a few times in the past.  It’s quite casual, right on the water, and the food is great.  After eating, we walked some more and, as of right now (at 9:00 PM) I’ve put in 10 miles today, according to my I-Phone app.  

Tomorrow’s activities are yet to be decided, but I’ll fill you in on them later.  

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_E2056.jpg

IMG_E2067.jpg

IMG_E1959.jpg

• Like 7

I am really  enjoying  your trip reports. Like you I  often  end up in a pub in ports for lunch. Guinness  can be found everywhere and I always try  to  experience  local foods. NZ green lipped  mussels  are the best. 

Looking  forward  to following  the remainder  of  your  cruise hopefully  not too many  more port changes.

Mary  

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Auckland, New Zealand (Day 2)

Not only do I love New Zealand, I am particularly fond of Auckland.  It’s a city of about a million (but, sadly, no sheep), and everyone I’ve come across is friendly and willing to be of help to a poor, uninformed tourist.  There is one thing I particularly like here.  At least two major intersections have something that I think should be found more often:  cars first drive from one direction, and then cars may drive from the other direction, and then a little green “walking man” appears and pedestrians may walk in any direction, including diagonally to reach the other side.  I know, simple minds, simple pleasures, but it does seem to be an excellent idea.

Our goal this morning, and it seemed a simple one, was to take all the loot for the “care package” to the post office, box it up and send it to our kids.  Simple it wasn’t.  The locals in the terminal told us that the post office was up Queen Street (the main shopping street) and then to the left.  We walked up and down that “left” for awhile before we popped into a souvenir shop, where the young lady behind the counter told us that it was actually several blocks up Queen Street, and then would be found behind the municipal theatre.  We’re pretty good at following directions, so we walked all the way up, as directed, turned right, walked behind the theatre, and found the post office - with a sign in the door that said February 29 would be its last day.  I walked around back to see if I’d missed anything, and found a gentleman loading mail into a truck.  When I asked him if there was a new location, he told me that we should walk back down Queen Street and turn on Victoria Street (which I knew well from the Starbucks on the corner).  

I realized as we walked away that he hadn’t told me which way to turn, so after about a quarter mile in one direction, we went the other way and almost gave up until I went into a 7-11 store.  The clerk told me we were going in the right direction and that we needed to walk four more (loooong) blocks, turn right, and we’d find it.  Eureka!  It worked, but I didn’t know if my legs would.  This “simple” task had taken us two hours and about two and a half miles.  You’ll be happy to know that the “care package” is on its way and should arrive early next week.

After a quick trip to a small supermarket, we headed back to the ship to stow our goodies, and then headed out for lunch.  We do love to try new restaurants in ports, and today John was dead set on going to a Mexican restaurant.  Usually we have a rule that good Mexican food cannot be found outside of California, the Southwest, and Mexico, but he insisted on trying Frida, a new restaurant on the harbor which had only opened three months ago.  Surprisingly, it was excellent.  We had tacos, John with fish and mine with chicken, along with chips and salsa (they weren’t complimentary like they are at home).  John enjoyed a Paloma, which we were told is more the Mexican national drink than the Margarita, and I enjoyed Sangria.  

It was finally time to head back to the ship, since all-aboard had been changed from 5:30 to 4:00 to accommodate the monthly safety drill.  Our friends Oliver, Josephine, and Joel were in charge of welcoming any new passengers or crew, and then to take their temperatures.  They wore masks and were very serious about their jobs.  It was a wonderful two days in Auckland, and tomorrow is another New Zealand port, Waitangi, sometimes called The Bay of Islands.  We’re really looking forward to it.  

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_E2097.jpg

IMG_E2103.jpg

• Like 3

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Waitangi, (Bay of Islands), New Zealand

New Zealand continues to enchant.  Today we called at the “birthplace of New Zealand.”  In 1840, representatives from the British Crown and over 500 Maori chiefs met in Waitangi and signed the Treaty of Waitangi, which ceded rights to the land over to the British.  Unsurprisingly, this treaty is still controversial today.  The Treaty Grounds is a fascinating place to visit and a beautiful place for walking.  The attractions there include a meeting house and an ornately carved shelter holding a Maori war canoe.

This is a tender port (not my favorite), but riding across the bay does let one see and appreciate the beauties of the aptly named Bay of Islands.  The skies were raining down on the area just before we went ashore, but the locals welcomed it, since they had seen no precipitation in 40 days.  Sounds almost biblical, doesn’t it?  

We boarded the tender just as the rain stopped and the sun came out, leaving some beautiful clouds in the area.  We landed in Waitangi, where a shuttle bus took passengers to the town of Paihia, but we decided that we’d just walk there, about a half hour stroll away.  Halfway through our walk, we were very sorry we’d dressed for rain, since the sun raised the temperature into the high 70’s, but we soldiered on.

Paihia is a lovely little town and apparently a popular vacation spot for people from other parts of New Zealand.  This, of course, is another place I’d be happy to live, and the water views from the houses and condos on the hills are spectacular.  However, it’s not to be, but I can certainly appreciate it while I’m here.

On ship days, the village green hosts a craft market where passengers can buy anything from merino wool-knitted items to Maluca honey to cute little outfits for one’s favorite grandchildren to some lovely jewelry.  We walked up Williams Road, the main street of the town and ended at a very small storefront which sold coffee and ice cream.  That made both of us happy, as I had a cappuccino and John had a Hokey Pokey ice cream cone.  In case you’re curious, that particular flavor is vanilla ice cream with chunks of honeycomb.  I guess it’s quite popular here, and we’ve even had it on the ship a time or two.  

Then it was time to walk back to the tender, since the last one was at 3:30 and sailaway was at 4:00.  The temperature had climbed into the 80’s, so we were very glad to get to the ship and its air conditioning.  We’ve enjoyed a lovely day but after three port days in a row, we’re more than ready for our two sea days en route to Sydney.

IMG_E2155.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_E2126.jpg

IMG_E2145.jpg

IMG_E2146.jpg

IMG_E2149.jpg

IMG_E2151.jpg

• Like 4

Thursday, March 5, 2020

At Sea en route to Sydney

After the announcement of our itinerary change eliminating Indonesia and Singapore, I heard that some folks were running a pool to bet on what, if any, further changes would

be coming along.  Well, today we had the answer.  The captain made his usual mid-day announcement of speed, temperature, water depth, and so on.  Then he added information that got everyone’s attention:  the newest changes in our itinerary. 

Apparently the government of Sri Lanka is refusing to let any cruise ships dock, so that knocks out Hambantota and Colombo.  Then, since HAL was unable to have the Indian government secure a “blanket visa” for a three-day visit, the Mumbai stop was also cancelled.  The question, of course, is “where do we go now?”  We’re now going to have an in-depth cruise around Australia.  After Darwin, instead of heading to Sri Lanka, we sail down the West Coast, visiting Broome, Exmouth, Geraldton, and Fremantle (for Perth) in Australia.  

After visiting more of Australia than any of us have ever seen, we then enjoy seven sea days across the Indian Ocean and stop at La Possession, Reunion, a French territory that we enjoy because of the wonderful food.  Then we continue on our previously scheduled changes, to Praslin and Victoria in the beautiful Seychelles.  

So, folks, that’s the current update.  After these new changes, we hope that will be it, but we’ll just “go with the flow.”   We’re looking forward to seeing places in Australia that are new to us, and even Greg and Heo, our Aussie friends, said that it will be great to see parts of their own country to which they’ve never traveled.  

• Like 7