WHITE PASS RAILWAY & SUSPENSION BRIDGE INDEPENDENT EXCURSION

jlynchtx

Are there any independent shore excursions that offer both the Skagway white pass railway and the suspension bridge in one excursion? I see that RCL and NCL offer this , but I cant find any independent operators offering this. PlEase let me know if you know of any. Thanks!

A lot of the independent tour operators will include this with the train and the trip into the Yukon, but they are hesitant to promote this as a singular destination since some people (especially Canadian tourists) might cry foul when they learn that they never even got into the Yukon Territory when they turn around at the "Yukon suspension bridge"!

This "attraction"is situated securely in British Columbia, a few kilometers shy of the Yukon Territory!?!😳

Caveat emptour!

DD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

Are there any independent shore excursions that offer both the Skagway white pass railway and the suspension bridge in one excursion? I see that RCL and NCL offer this , but I cant find any independent operators offering this. PlEase let me know if you know of any. Thanks!

I wouldn't waste my time going to the "Yukon suspension bridge" We've been there and think it was pretty lame.

1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

I wouldn't waste my time going to the "Yukon suspension bridge" We've been there and think it was pretty lame.

The locals around Skagway / Carcross sort of make fun of the Yukon Suspension Bridge and dismiss it. It was totally concocted to be an attraction where there really wasn't anything. Very lame.

Edited by SuperCrewBear
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

The locals around Skagway / Carcross sort of make fun of the Yukon Suspension Bridge and dismiss it. It was totally concocted to be an attraction where there really wasn't anything. Very lame.

That is disappointing...It sounded like a neat stop and looked like it had great views. I guess I won’t worry about it.

6 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

That is disappointing...It sounded like a neat stop and looked like it had great views. I guess I won’t worry about it.

You'll have PLENTY of views just riding down the highway without paying someone.  This is along the way from Skagway to Carcross...

47975488692_f290c57a82_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:37 AM, SuperCrewBear said:

You'll have PLENTY of views just riding down the highway without paying someone.  This is along the way from Skagway to Carcross...

47975488692_f290c57a82_b.jpg

That is an awesome picture! Do you remember which lake that was? It looks there are two possible bus routes, one that goes from Skagway. One that goes to summit lake and is 2-3 hours long, and then one that goes to emerald lake and is 6 hours or more. 

This a picture taken at the only public boat launch on lake Tutshi which you may visit if you are on the way to Emerald Lake. Tutshi lake starts about forty miles north of Skagway and the road follows the shore of the lake for a few kilometers (you will be in Canada, still in BC, at this point on the South Klondike Hwy)

if you happen to get to this place on a calm day, just be sure to get the shot before the rental car crowd pulls in and the rock skippers just can't restrain themselves and break up this wonderful reflection shot........Judging by the snow on the mountain, this picture was probably taken in May.

None  of the program ship tours stop here because there is nothing sold here to share a commission therefrom.

Summit lake is encountered about thirteen miles north of Skagway and is a popular turnaround for the shorter summit tours.

DD

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 11:34 PM, jlynchtx said:

That is an awesome picture! Do you remember which lake that was? It looks there are two possible bus routes, one that goes from Skagway. One that goes to summit lake and is 2-3 hours long, and then one that goes to emerald lake and is 6 hours or more. 

5 hours ago, dyeadave said:

This a picture taken at the only public boat launch on lake Tutshi which you may visit if you are on the way to Emerald Lake. Tutshi lake starts about forty miles north of Skagway and the road follows the shore of the lake for a few kilometers (you will be in Canada, still in BC, at this point on the South Klondike Hwy)

if you happen to get to this place on a calm day, just be sure to get the shot before the rental car crowd pulls in and the rock skippers just can't restrain themselves and break up this wonderful reflection shot........Judging by the snow on the mountain, this picture was probably taken in May.

None  of the program ship tours stop here because there is nothing sold here to share a commission therefrom.

Summit lake is encountered about thirteen miles north of Skagway and is a popular turnaround for the shorter summit tours.

DD

What DyeaDave said...  That pic was taken on May 9, 2018.  We didn't see anyone else at this stop - there was maybe a dozen on our Dyea Dave bus - so I don't know if we were ahead of anyone else or if they simply hadn't noticed this spot.  All the lakes along the way were still frozen over except for this spot on Tutshi Lake. The thin white line between the water and the land is ice - the rest of the lake was frozen.  We were there two years and two days earlier in 2016 with zero lake ice. Interesting.

Edited by SuperCrewBear

42 minutes ago, SuperCrewBear said:

What DyeaDave said...  That pic was taken on May 9, 2018.  We didn't see anyone else at this stop - there was maybe a dozen on our Dyea Dave bus - so I don't know if we were ahead of anyone else or if they simply hadn't noticed this spot.  All the lakes along the way were still frozen over except for this spot on Tutshi Lake. The thin white line between the water and the land is ice - the rest of the lake was frozen.  We were there two years and two days earlier in 2016 with zero lake ice. Interesting.

After reading a few other posts, it’s looks like I will be booking a tour with DyeaDave tours and riding the train back. Very excited! How far in advance should I reserve a spot for cruise in June? Is too early to do it now? Lol I’m ready!

6 hours ago, dyeadave said:

DD

After reading a few other posts, it’s looks like I will be booking a tour with DyeaDave tours and riding the train back. Very excited! How far in advance should I reserve a spot for cruise in June? Is too early to do it now? Lol I’m ready!

On 1/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, dyeadave said:

DD

I am planning on booking the longer tour with DyeaDave tours and then riding the train back. At least that’s the order it looks they do it in. Is there any disadvantage to riding the train back in the afternoon, instead of riding it up? Does it go on the same route?

On 1/10/2020 at 10:15 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

Anybody else reading this, go with DyeaDave, he's the best!!!😄

A big ditto on this tour. One of the best land tours we took while in Alaska 16 days last May. The scenery is some of the most spectacular I've seen. Did van tour to Carcross/Emerald Lake and back to Fraser where we picked up the WPYR back to Skagway. We stopped at that lake on Memorial Day. It had thawed and there was a slight breeze.

zseyCWL.jpg

• Like 1

Ignore me.  I was reading too many descriptions.  I thought it said railroad but it doesn't

https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/skagway/white-pass-summit-and-beyond-tour

I was on this site reading the tour descriptions "As a bonus, we include a stop at the Yukon Suspension Bridge! View the Tutshi river canyon from above while crossing the bridge and learn more about the area with the educational displays. Snack bar is available to purchase food and then we visit Yukon gift shop for mementos. This stop makes the tour unique among tour options that do similar itinerary.

Included: Admission to Yukon Suspension Bridge site including bridge crossing."

I'm trying to figure out what we are doing in each port, so i'm looking through the different tours.

Edited by ljmandelbaum