Sign & Sail Account limits/cruise cash

Ekelley8804

Hi everyone,

We are taking two teens on their first cruise in less than two weeks and I’m hoping to figure out how to put a spending limit on the 18 year olds account. It let me set a limit for the 16 year old during online check-in on my phone, but didn’t offer it for the 18 year old. They both received $75 cruise cash for Christmas, and with this being a 3 day cruise we feel this will be sufficient. How do I make sure they can’t charge anything to our credit card and are only able to use their cruise cash?

If I put a limit of $0 on the 16 year olds account will it still allow her to use the $75 cruise cash I deposited in her name?

I’ve been reading through the forums and haven’t found any answers so I hope I’m not repeating the same old questions... (also I’m not sure I’m using the actual search engine correctly 🙄)

52 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi everyone,

We are taking two teens on their first cruise in less than two weeks and I’m hoping to figure out how to put a spending limit on the 18 year olds account. It let me set a limit for the 16 year old during online check-in on my phone, but didn’t offer it for the 18 year old. They both received $75 cruise cash for Christmas, and with this being a 3 day cruise we feel this will be sufficient. How do I make sure they can’t charge anything to our credit card and are only able to use their cruise cash?

If I put a limit of $0 on the 16 year olds account will it still allow her to use the $75 cruise cash I deposited in her name?

I’ve been reading through the forums and haven’t found any answers so I hope I’m not repeating the same old questions... (also I’m not sure I’m using the actual search engine correctly 🙄)

Can't you put her account separate - not put your card on it, and choose cash?

2 hours ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi everyone,

If you 16 year old's S&S card is attached your account, then if you put a spending limit of $0 they won't be able to spend anything.  You will need to set it at $75 for them to spend their cruise cash.

I don't believe that you will be able to set a spending limit online for the 18 year old since they are not a minor (I may be wrong here).  You should be able to go to GS and set it and/or set it on the kiosk.  Alternatively, prepay the gratuities and set them up with their own account (listed as "cash") and not put anything more than the cruise cash on it.

Schoifmom said it right.   Set the 18 yr old up with a cash account and only put the cruise cash on it.  Let him/her know that if they spend all that they will have to pay for any additional spending.  Once that money is spent they will be cut off.  I found out the hard way!! 

Make sure the gratuities are prepaid for both of them.  They will show up as a charge on the S & S acct but will also show as a corresponding credit.

I agree with the others, create a separate S&S account for the 18 year old. Just go into your online check-in, delete the 18 year old from the parent account, and click on add another account (something like that). Then it'll give you the option to choose that person. We have two 18 year olds going with us on our next one, our son and his friend. I've set them both up with their own cash accounts and we'll probably fund them with some Cruise Cash.

If you want to set up a daily spending limit for the minor, it's possible. I don't know if Carnival allows a daily limit to be set nowadays. When our son was a minor, they didn't. They only allowed a limit for the entire cruise, but one of the Guest Services ladies showed me a workaround. Every morning, I'd go to the kiosk and set his new spending limit for the day. But I had to add the previous day's limit to it. For example, he wanted to spend $20 a day, so on day 1 I set his limit at $20, day 2 limit at $40, day 3 at $60, and so on. It's a little more involved since you have to set it every day, but I didn't mind. In the morning, the kiosks were never too busy.

Ok, so I chose to do pre-paid gratuities when we booked so that’s taken care of. 

So now I will put a $75 limit on the 16 year olds account. I already purchased and added the $75 cruise cash to the account a few weeks ago. 

Then I will delete the 18 year old off the main account and create a cash account. Assuming I can do this online. The $75 cruise cash was also purchased and added to this account a few weeks ago. 

Does this all sound correct?

I also purchased $50 cruise cash for two minors on another booking. So I’m guessing I may need to inform the adult on that booking to add $50 limits to their accounts as well. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the help. I prefer to do my homework ahead of time so I don’t have to waste precious time on the ship dealing with these sorts of things

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Then I will delete the 18 year old off the main account and create a cash account. Assuming I can do this online. The $75 cruise cash was also purchased and added to this account a few weeks ago. 

Does this all sound correct?

Yes, you'll be able to delete the 18 year old from the primary and add their own S&S account from your online check-in section of your Cruise Manager. If you already put $75 Cruise Cash on the primary account that was intended for the 18 year old, I think you'll have to call Carnival and transfer that amount to the 18 year old's new cash account.

I'm not sure if you are aware but the HUB app will keep track of all spending by passenger.  Whoever has the primary account will be able to see them all, the others see only their own.  I check that daily, sometimes multiple timers per day since it's so convenient.  It's an easy way to see the daily spending.

1 hour ago, SarahJeanneSays said:

Last month my daughter and her boyfriends S&S accounts were under my credit card.  I set a limit of $100 for each of them at Guest Services.  Just to be safe...they are both over 21.

Really? That’s good to know because I did end up calling Carnival to switch things around and they told me that there is no way to set a limit for anyone 18 or older. Their suggestion was to attach the 18 year olds debit card to the account and they would put $100 hold on the card. Or else I had to put $200 on the cash account which is obviously way more than the $75/kid we are contributing toward their spending. If they want to add more that’s obviously fine, but I just don’t want to be the one stuck paying for it. So I may offer the debit card idea but if you think they will set a limit on the boat, that sounds like it may be the better  option.

16 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Really? That’s good to know because I did end up calling Carnival to switch things around and they told me that there is no way to set a limit for anyone 18 or older. Their suggestion was to attach the 18 year olds debit card to the account and they would put $100 hold on the card. Or else I had to put $200 on the cash account which is obviously way more than the $75/kid we are contributing toward their spending. If they want to add more that’s obviously fine, but I just don’t want to be the one stuck paying for it. So I may offer the debit card idea but if you think they will set a limit on the boat, that sounds like it may be the better  option.

A $100 hold isn't the same as a spending limit. They put a hold on all credit & debit cards used for S&S accounts. That's just how their system works. For 2-6 day cruises, they put a $100 hold on the card on embarkation day. If the person exceeds that initial hold, they then put another $100 hold on the card. And so on.

For the accounts funded with cruises cash, and the limit set to equal that of the cruises cash:

They won’t be able to spend more than the limit, but, if they don’t use the cruise cash up, it’ll be non-refundable.  So, let’s they spend $68 of the $75.  Unless they find something that’s exactly $7, they’ll lose it (and they can’t get anything $8 or over).  —- of course they can get something $6 or less, also, but then have the same issue, but with a smaller dollar amount.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ekelley8804 said:

I'm sure that they told you that (regarding the debit card and/or applying cash); however, if you choose to make his account a cash account, there is no minimum amount REQUIRED to be placed on the account.  The $200 is a SUGGESTED amount.

• Like 1