First time crusing out of LA World Cruise Center - Princess

kywildcatfanone

Forgive me, but I have been reading thru the threads here, but have a couple of questions.  We are taking our first cruise out of San Pedro on Royal Princess, usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale so I know my way around there pretty well. 

In FLL we arrive around 10am, go thru security and check in and to the elite waiting lounge, and usually board around 11am.  Is that the same here?

Also, any hotel recommendations to stay at close by? 

I don't know if there are several terminals, but assume there are, does Princess use a particular one?

Can you Uber from LAX and back to the airport post cruise?

Thanks for any response!

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

In FLL we arrive around 10am, go thru security and check in and to the elite waiting lounge, and usually board around 11am.  Is that the same here?

You should be fine arriving at that time. I am not sure about the elite lounge-- whether its a lounge or if its just a roped off area. We haven't used one at San Pedro-- usually on smaller ships when we sail from there. 

I don't know if there are several terminals, but assume there are, does Princess use a particular one?

Its not what you are picturing at Ft Lauderdale-- San Pedro is literally 2 berths. Tiny cruise facilities compared to Ft Lauderdale although its within a much bigger port area. 

Also, any hotel recommendations to stay at close by? 

Tons-- a whole bunch of threads run these down. Personally I would stay in Santa Monica or somewhere nicer the night before and just Uber down in the morning but there are plenty of options near the port. 

Can you Uber from LAX and back to the airport post cruise?

Yes you can-- Uber from LAX you have to take a shuttle to a new pick up area (no more ride share pickups at the terminals). Tried it a few weeks ago and it wasn't the end of the world. Coming back Ubers are easy from the cruise terminal. 

There are several other threads about hotels near this port.

IF you are just coming in the night before the cruise then there are 2 hotels where most stay:

Crowne Plaza or Doubletree San Pedro.

There is also a Best Western San Pedro but it is a lower level hotel.

There are no other hotels to mention right by the port.

IF you are coming in early and want to sightsee in LA then there are lots of choices in LA.

Both the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree will shuttle you to the port .

From LA hotels you'd certainly need uber/lyft etc.

It depends on what you consider "walking distance".

For us there's nothing we would walk to except the hotel restaurant.

Google maps is a really great tool.

This one shows the Doubletree and using the "search nearby " function to find restaurants:

https://goo.gl/maps/S7mx4bwQ3Fu5Bnmc6

Actually 22nd St Landing is less than 1 mile away so it is "walkable" .We do more than that for exercise but I don't think we'd do it to go out to eat for dinner.

We'd just take the free hotel shuttle.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

The Doubletree shuttle will take you to restaurants/stores within a few miles of the hotel.

They know that they are not in easy walking distance of them so they provide that service.

That's awesome! I guess that helps with the price of the hotel.👍🙂