Preschoolers and Toddlers

First time cruising this February and we’re bringing the 5yr old and 2.5yr old. Anyone have any experience and best tips to share?  We’re cruising on Indy and have a panoramic ocean view cabin, if that helps. 

Check the family boards, lots of info there. 

The biggie is your 2.5 year old cannot use the kids club as they have to be three.  I think the Indy has babysitting, but not sure and if you want it book it in advance. The five year old can be dropped off to play, your mileage may vary depending on the kids and your child, mine love it and get to go.  They have closing hours during lunch and dinner to make sure you feed your kids so you may want to plan around these hours (usually they are open from 9-12, 2-5, 7-10pm).

My biggest advice is nap/bed them when they are tired and feed them when they are hungry.  Nothing is worse than a tired or hungry child.  I have been known to take a cereal box with me from the buffet or room service to make sure my son always had food available, he is always "starving! "

Have realistic expectations, you will do half of what you think you can and it will take you find as long to get out of the room in the morning then it did without the kids.

Never pass up an opportunity to pee, for the little one in port.

You will have a great time, but it will be different. For every tantrum, you will have an equally sweet moment that will make it worth it.  

I have 7 year old twins who have sailed 8 times since 9 months so I have experienced all the baby ages.  At 2.5 my kids loved the stairs and we spent a lot of time just walking up and down the main atrium.  You never know what they will love...

28 minutes ago, bearette said:

Check the family boards, lots of info there. 

The biggie is your 2.5 year old cannot use the kids club as they have to be three.  I think the Indy has babysitting, but not sure and if you want it book it in advance. The five year old can be dropped off to play, your mileage may vary depending on the kids and your child, mine love it and get to go.  They have closing hours during lunch and dinner to make sure you feed your kids so you may want to plan around these hours (usually they are open from 9-12, 2-5, 7-10pm).

My biggest advice is nap/bed them when they are tired and feed them when they are hungry.  Nothing is worse than a tired or hungry child.  I have been known to take a cereal box with me from the buffet or room service to make sure my son always had food available, he is always "starving! "

Have realistic expectations, you will do half of what you think you can and it will take you find as long to get out of the room in the morning then it did without the kids.

Never pass up an opportunity to pee, for the little one in port.

You will have a great time, but it will be different. For every tantrum, you will have an equally sweet moment that will make it worth it.  

I have 7 year old twins who have sailed 8 times since 9 months so I have experienced all the baby ages.  At 2.5 my kids loved the stairs and we spent a lot of time just walking up and down the main atrium.  You never know what they will love...

Thanks!  Indy does have babysitting, which was a selling point for me. While I imagine most of my time will be spent with them, it will be nice to see a show as a date night. Great tip on taking a box of cereal with you, I swear they can never have too many snacks lol. 

Edited by sburrus4

We attempted to start a family travel blog at one point.  Life just too busy to keep it up.  It has some great articles we wrote on traveling with kids and babies.  No ads and it’s not monetized.

http://thesmallworldfamily.com

I’d say the big one is to keep your expectations in check.  Too often we meet parents on the ship that just have unrealistic expectations as to what traveling with kids, toddlers and babies would be like.  Traveling with kids is amazing and fun,  however, it is different than just traveling by Just yourself

or your SO.  

7 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

First time cruising this February and we’re bringing the 5yr old and 2.5yr old. Anyone have any experience and best tips to share?  We’re cruising on Indy and have a panoramic ocean view cabin, if that helps. 

the 2.5 year old will be with you unless you get nursery time( if applicable).   they must be 3  in order to use the  kid's programming( even if already fully potty trained)  

you can usually check out a bag of age appropriate toys  from the nursery to have in the cabin, or there will probably be a time period where there is open play ( parents must stick astound)  

there is My Family Time Dining( Early Seating) where the 5 yo would get their dinner served  faster then about 45 minutes into, will be met at the MDR main entrance by the  programming staff to return to the kids club. and you can finish coffee and desert.  

there is NO LONGER any in room babysitting provided on any ship so there will be no break from the toddler .

if not fully potty trained, the toddler cannot go into any pools.. only the splash zones( if applicable.. not all ships have one)  best excursions are probably the simple ones like to the beaches.  

the staff will fawn all over both kids.   they will quickly learn their favorites  for dinner time and often times bring out  something to keep them busy as you sit down.