MDR - Buffet service

ziggyuk

I am quite new to MSC and did a lot of research before my first cruise, one thing I had not anticipated was the MDR being effectively and extension of the buffet for breakfast and lunch, this had never shown up in my research so I am wondering if it is normal on all ships and regions.

At breakfast and lunch there was a buffet set up in the MDR and everyone was "encouraged" to use it instead of ordering from the menu, nobody would deliver a menu unless you asked for one and your order would not be taken unless you caught someone's attention and even then, if it's on the buffet you will be told "Oh, you can get that over there yourself.", even if that meant one of us had to collect our own food while the other had it delivered.

I know a lot of people enjoy the choice of a buffet but that is not us, we do not do buffets, we like to go to the MDR so we can enjoy the experience and savour a small plate of food that is delivered to use.

I honestly think they made a rod for their own back, the MDR was much busier than I an used to but mostly because most of the people were only there as they wanted a buffet, this in turn made the staff much busier.

I don't really understand the logic as the buffet was huge and always had loads of free tables when we looked.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you.  I do not like buffets.  We are sailing on MSC for the first time this Sunday.  I too, have never experienced buffet service in the MDR on any ship.  Were you able to get table service?

2 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I totally agree with you.  I do not like buffets.  We are sailing on MSC for the first time this Sunday.  I too, have never experienced buffet service in the MDR on any ship.  Were you able to get table service?

You can order from a menu.  They have both options available.  I saw people ordering from the menu and others at the buffet.  No different than when you go to a brick and mortar restaurant, and they have a lunch buffet going in between 11:00am and 1:00pm and you have the option to use the menu.  It's no biggie.

• Like 1

Great.  My husband has Celiac Disease and needs to have Gluten Free food.  We will be talking to the maître d to make sure that his food is GF.  We are in Aurea class for our first sailing, I understand that class has a special section of the MDR for dinner.  I wonder if they do as well for breakfast and lunch?  We only eat lunch in the MDR if the weather is nasty.

53 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We could get table service but it was not easy, firstly nobody would bring us a menu as they wanted to "encourage" you to use the buffet, so you needed to request a menu at which point they would reluctantly get you one while pointing out the buffet and say "If you don't find anything you like at the buffet, you can order from the menu.", nobody would return to take my order so I had to get someone's attention.

Lunch was not as bad as breakfast, same issues ordering, but at least the food would come out quicker, at breakfast the food was spoilt by the time it arrived as it had been left standing with the plastic covers over it.

My regular choice (as eggs benedict is not a option) was poached eggs on toast with a side of bacon, every day it had been left standing awaiting delivery so long the steam under the cover made the toast damp, soggy and chewy with the eggs overcooked and hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I know a lot of people enjoy the choice of a buffet but that is not us, we do not do buffets, we like to go to the MDR so we can enjoy the experience and savour a small plate of food that is delivered to use.

I honestly think they made a rod for their own back, the MDR was much busier than I an used to but mostly because most of the people were only there as they wanted a buffet, this in turn made the staff much busier.

I don't really understand the logic as the buffet was huge and always had loads of free tables when we looked.

When we cruised on NCL Wind 2004 they had a buffet in one of the MDRs for breakfast. We used that because we wanted the nicer experience in the MDR compared to the other buffet they had.

NCL also have (had?) a buffet for cold items in the Haven. Warm items ordered from a menu. I like that too.

55 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

When we cruised on NCL Wind 2004 they had a buffet in one of the MDRs for breakfast. We used that because we wanted the nicer experience in the MDR compared to the other buffet they had.

NCL also have (had?) a buffet for cold items in the Haven. Warm items ordered from a menu. I like that too.

We were on the Dawn last summer and I did not see buffet service in the MDR.  The breakfast service and food in the MDR was amazing.  

20 minutes ago, mlbdude said:

What MSC ship does this?  Did not see this on the seaside, Divina, or Armonia over the last year.

This was on Fantasia and your answer was what I hoped I would hear, I would choose a ship that does not do this in future.

It would be good to compile a list of those ships that do and don't.

Edited by ziggyuk

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

This was on Fantasia and your answer was what I hoped I would hear, I would choose a ship that does not do this in future.

It would be good to compile a list of those ships that do and don't.

Funnily enough on Splendida Musica and Seaside there was always a menu on the tables also the buffet option as you say.

never used it for Lunch though as we had more port days than sea days on all three

Been on many MSC cruises and mostly eat in the MDR. Sometimes we order off the menu and sometimes use the buffet.  We are always given menus when seated.  We have also cruised with RCCI a number or times, they too have a buffet in the MDR where you can choose one or other or mixture of both. A buffet in the MDR is not limited to MSC.