Celebrity Summit after her Revolution Renovation - Review

TheGinBoy

On 1/11/2020 at 7:23 AM, TheGinBoy said:

Also should say I'm happy to try and answer any questions you might have about Summit after her refurb!

Would you consider any of the shows "don't miss"     It appears that show times are 7pm and 9pm.    Is that what you recall?    We like to eat around 6 (we're AQ so we'll get to experience Blu) so we'll be hitting the late offerings f the shows.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, TheGinBoy said:

Hi Guys,

My partner Jimmy and I sailed aboard Celebrity Summit at the end of October / beginning of November 2019 just after her massive 'Celebrity Revolution' renovation.

Our sailing was the Southern Caribbean itinerary: San Juan, Basseterre, Day at sea, Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, Day at sea, San Juan.

You can read my review of the ship, and see my photos, over on my blog here: http://www.tomlovescruising.com/2020/01/03/celebrity-summit-review/

We were thoroughly impressed with the expedited arrival system - it took us EIGHT MINUTES from getting out the taxi to being given a welcome drink onboard.

The ship itself is looking absolutely stunning. The staterooms are gorgeous, the bathrooms well designed and the beds are beyond comfortable. 

I know she's an older lady now, but you won't be disappointed by a trip on Summit in 2020. 

Tom 🙂

Loved the review. We are thinking of booking our first cruise ever on the Summit. Thank you!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Would you consider any of the shows "don't miss"     It appears that show times are 7pm and 9pm.    Is that what you recall?    We like to eat around 6 (we're AQ so we'll get to experience Blu) so we'll be hitting the late offerings f the shows.

We only saw 'LIFE' which was an hour of modern pop/dance numbers with acrobatics and decent dancing. It was very entertaining and had people bopping in their seats - but it's not groundbreaking. Definitely an enjoyable show though - I think it would probably suit a later seating anyway as you can head to the disco after!

GREAT review. We'll be embarking on February 1, 2020. For those concerned about the earthquake, there is a Puerto Rico Tourism page with updates. I also contacted my hotel, who indicated that there MIGHT be some controlled black-outs, as not all power has been restored. That said, the earthquake was on the southern part of the island, about as far from San Juan as possible. The woman I spoke to said that they felt it, but it wasn't a damaging event for that part of the island. 

GinBoy:

• I was going to ask about your daily newsletters, but your itinerary is different than ours, so I suspect the activities would be as well. However, do you recall any special parties, theme nights or not-to-be-missed events?
  • We will be experiencing Le Petit Chef. I booked  Qsine, but it has switched over. I knew that was a possibility when I booked it, and determined I'd be happy with either option. In over a dozen cruises, this will be my very first specialty dining experience!
  • Super excited to hear how quickly you boarded! Wow!! That's amazing!
  • This will be my first Celebrity cruise, after a number of Royal Caribbean cruises. Any differences I should be aware of?

Thanks for your review!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, printingchick said:

GREAT review.

Thank you - very kind!

GinBoy:

• I was going to ask about your daily newsletters, but your itinerary is different than ours, so I suspect the activities would be as well. However, do you recall any special parties, theme nights or not-to-be-missed events?

We really enjoyed the 'Howl at the moon' pool party. It was about 10:30pm, and white dress code (although obviously not enforced - it's a pool party). Lots of music, acrobatics, dancing, themed cocktails etc.

The wine tastings Celebrity do mid-afternoon can be great fun too. Usually a dozen or so, paired with cheeses etc. Just realise the rest of your afternoon might be a bit wobbly 😉 

• This will be my first Celebrity cruise, after a number of Royal Caribbean cruises. Any differences I should be aware of?

It was our first Celebrity cruise too. Other than the fact they offer a different level of service with better quality food/drink I don't think there's anything you need to be aware of per se. That said we did notice a lot of the nicer cocktails in each bar were out the range of the 'classic' beverage package, so we upgraded on embarkation day to 'premium' which they had an offer on for day one - and threw in 6 bottles of wine for our stateroom also.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, TheGinBoy said:

Thank you - very kind!

We really enjoyed the 'Howl at the moon' pool party. It was about 10:30pm, and white dress code (although obviously not enforced - it's a pool party). Lots of music, acrobatics, dancing, themed cocktails etc.

The wine tastings Celebrity do mid-afternoon can be great fun too. Usually a dozen or so, paired with cheeses etc. Just realise the rest of your afternoon might be a bit wobbly 😉 

It was our first Celebrity cruise too. Other than the fact they offer a different level of service with better quality food/drink I don't think there's anything you need to be aware of per se. That said we did notice a lot of the nicer cocktails in each bar were out the range of the 'classic' beverage package, so we upgraded on embarkation day to 'premium' which they had an offer on for day one - and threw in 6 bottles of wine for our stateroom also.

We have the classic package in October...was the up grade to premium worth the extra money?

How at the moon party?  I will have to buy a white dress.😋

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:24 AM, DreaminoftheCaribbean said:

We have the classic package in October...was the up grade to premium worth the extra money?

How at the moon party?  I will have to buy a white dress.😋

I suppose it depends what your go to drinks are. If you're happy with house wines, house spirits and the most popular cocktails then the Classic package should treat you well.

I like trying new cocktails, I like different gins and my partner loves his whiskeys. Almost everything at the Martini Bar was over the price covered by the Classic package. So upgrading was a no-brainer for us.

How did you find out about the LGBTQ brunch on a sea day? Was it in the daily program? We've sailed Celebrity countless times and have never seen a brunch! Just the nightly gathering at Martini bar. 

Also - we agree - Rich your CD is a great guy! We enjoy seeing him onboard when we happen to sail with him. 

• Like 1

Like you, my partner and I are in our early 30's and will be sailing Celebrity for the first time on the Summit this Spring. I've only ever sailed Royal so I'm looking forward to a new experience. 

I'm a bit nervous about a smaller(ish) ship, but based on your review it looks like I should have a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pilotboy1985 said:

I'm a bit nervous about a smaller(ish) ship, but based on your review it looks like I should have a lot of fun. 

Summit and Constellation are our favorite ships we've sailed on so far between three lines. We haven't been on Summit since her updates - but looking forward to it! The only Royal ship I've been on is Anthem of the Seas. You won't find bumper cars or basketball on Summit - but we love her layout - easy to navigate and get from point A to point B! Enjoy your sailing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyingAnchor said:

How did you find out about the LGBTQ brunch on a sea day? Was it in the daily program? We've sailed Celebrity countless times and have never seen a brunch! Just the nightly gathering at Martini bar. 

Also - we agree - Rich your CD is a great guy! We enjoy seeing him onboard when we happen to sail with him. 

I can't quite remember TBH, I think he invited us all at one of the evening LGBTQ mixers. I may be wrong about that. 😂

• Like 1