Info on current Viking promotion: “Pay later”?

AllisonJames

Couldn’t find the terms of this on the website.  I’ve been very vocal about disliking Viking’s very early payment in full requirement, twice I looked into booking but refuse to pay them in full 18 months in advance when other lines are payment four months out.  But, I really liked our Viking Ocean cruise and the design/ambience of the ships — also, their shorter itineraries are appealing to us as working professionals with limited vacation time.  Anyone have specifics about the “reduced deposit, pay later” promotion?

We booked our first Viking Ocean cruise a week ago using this promotion - the Viking Homelands cruise for April 21, 2021. After doing 3 Viking river cruises, we decided it was time to try their ocean cruises. Can't wait!

• Like 1

If you ask to have final payment due 6 months before sail date, you always get it.  But you have to ask. Not part of a special  promotion either.  Don't why they do this .. but that's how it's always been for me.  I will say that now that I'm sort of a "frequent cruiser" and deal with the same Viking TA all the time, she normally just does it without me asking -- for both River and Ocean.

If you ask to have final payment due 6 months before sail date, you always get it.  But you have to ask. Not part of a special  promotion either.  Don't why they do this .. but that's how it's always been for me.  I will say that now that I'm sort of a "frequent cruiser" and deal with the same Viking TA all the time, she normally just does it without me asking -- for both River and Ocean.
I think your experience is the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, just_dont said:

I think your experience is the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The rule, as I understand it, is when you book a cruise with at least one other booked for the future, you get the 6 months for that cruise.

Edited by Squawkman

31 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

The rule, as I understand it, is when you book a cruise with at least one other booked for the future, you get the 6 months for that cruise.

Yes, if you already have a future cruise booked OR if you book on board.

I also agree that CharTrav's experience is exception not the rule. But, I also see a trend in what I have read here in that those who always deal with the same Viking agent or who use a TA who has a good relationship with their Viking contact are more likely to receive such concessions.

48 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, if you already have a future cruise booked OR if you book on board.

I also agree that CharTrav's experience is exception not the rule. But, I also see a trend in what I have read here in that those who always deal with the same Viking agent or who use a TA who has a good relationship with their Viking contact are more likely to receive such concessions.

OK. I stand corrected. 😁

We're just in the process of booking the Far East & Alaska cruise for April '22. We are able to take advantage of the 'Pay Later - 2 for 1 Deposit' promo that is currently being offered. Now, here's the twist. We're being told by Viking that given the length of this cruise (36 nights) it is treated like a Grand Voyage, which has a deposit requirement of 20% (10% with the promo). 

In the T&C's for the promo, it only refers to the $250pp. So we were a bit taken aback when we saw the deposit required.

Has anyone else encountered this? 

Thanks