Rollcalls Oceania VS Prince

cinci4u

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Really?

Almost anything is possible but doing SPB on one’s own on a cruise is not for everyone.

Do you speak and read Russian? Nothing is within walking distance of the new port thus requiring taxis. The taxi drivers are notoriously unscrupulous and do not speak English as a rule. One may have to deal with long lines at Hermitage, Catherine’s palace, etc, etc, etc.

If one is staying in SPB on a land trip in a hotel that makes things a lot easier to navigate on your own but with a more limited time on a cruise ship it is an unnecessary hardship IMO. The guides maximize one’s time in SPB as they are familiar with the best routes for given itineraries, bypass lines and minimize lunch times, etc.

I have been to SPB 4 or 5 times on both cruises and land trips and am almost fluent in Russian and yet have never chosen to tour SPB on my own on any of those trips.

Have no problem touring any other European city on my own.

Can it be done - yes. Is it worth it - no (IMO).

As always, YMMV.

As you say, YMMV. I have read successful trip reports from many people who've done it on their own. I was surprised how many directional signs/street signs/signs in museums and sites were in English. There are unscrupulous taxi drivers everywhere, but there are other options:  https://www.travelwithpedro.com/how-to-go-st-petersburg-cruise-terminal-city/

It's not for everyone, granted. But for those who want to do it, it can be done.

image.thumb.png.4313006d1547bdeadcc25ccf3bd54164.png

image.png.bf0a4023959ca074d0e15392b65dcf16.png

image.png.6e9de35ccae355a2a8a74c42d7618f71.png