New Gratuity Rates coming to RC?

3 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

Sorry, just to add to the above, do staff actually know if you have pre paid gratuities ?

Possibly. But I will say that my service is the same whether or not I prepay, pay daily, or remove and tip cash. 

For the record, although I do not agree with RC's tipping protocol, I always tip. I may prepay. I may daily auto grat. And I may remove and tip as I see fit. I have done it all! And it all works. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tulsacoker said:

Better than Popcorn ball some give out during Halloween 😄 

My neighbor gave these out back when. I never ate them, but I always went and got one. They are big and it made me feel successful maybe (compared to the people who gave out the tootsie rolls. Don't let this be you.)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

Now I find it seems to be the norm that you do in fact tip extra. That makes me wonder why I pre paid gratuities in the first place.

So, after reading this discussion I actually, now, as a new cruiser, feel the need to tip extra and yes, I know many will say, that is not the way you should feel but I just don't want to feel or look awkward if extra tipping

is going on.

As others have said, you have already paid all the tips that you need to with the Pre-paid Gratuities. There is no need to tip extra so do not stress about it.  If you feel a certain crew member has gone above-and-beyond their expected duties for you, then you can always tip that person extra by handing them an envelope with cash.  I know "above and beyond" is a subjective statement. Changing towels and making beds/towel animals are expected duties of the cabin steward. However, handling special requests or exceptionally prompt service may warrant extra. For example, I've asked the steward to place an extra chair on my balcony so a family member that was staying in an inside cabin could join us on our balcony.  Sometimes they honor my request and sometimes they don't. If they do. I tip extra. If they don't - perhaps there are no extra chairs or the balcony is not big enough or they are not allowed - then it's not a big deal. I won't "punish" them by removing the tip.

While it may seem that most tip extra, it depends. I believe most will tip a little extra based on the service level they receive while others just like to brag. Tip as you see fit as you would at home.

I know for a start, when I booked our cruise, as part of the deal we got the Deluxe Drinks package and I know while it said it was part of the cruise (offer), this was factored into the price and I know full well, there is NO way as moderate drinkers we will get no where near the value from that so I know the Cruise Ship benefits from that not the staff.

If the deluxe drink package price in included in the package price, then the 18% tip for drinks was most likely included. You may want to double check your documents to be sure. Even though you don't pay when buying a drink at the bar, you'll be presented with a slip of paper to sign and there will be a spot to add "additional tip".  No need to tip extra unless you feel the server gave you exceptional service.  I won't tip extra for someone handing me a bottle of beer no make how big and warm their smile is but I will if I order a super complicated drink that is time consuming to make....or better yet, an extra strong drink.🍹

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don't be swayed from CC members and their sob stories of how the staff are so over worked. DW and I are over worked too and don't expect to do someone else's job while on vacation.

Just to add to Iamcruzin comment, you'll find that tipping is one of the more passionate subjects debated on these forums and certain members of the self-anointed Tipping Police feel empowered to shame those that they feel do not tip enough. Ignore them. I don't concern myself with what others tip/don't tip so they should not concern themselves with what I tip (or don't tip).

You are already paid up so enjoy the cruise.

Edited by HBE4

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I will say Anytime dining as far as service was the worst that I have experienced ever in any establishment.

Then don’t try traditional because it seemed worse to us. 

Biker, who was very happy with MTD as long as seated in the MTD venue. 

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this topic... Lol! At Guest Services most people don't know but there is a print-out (you can ask for a copy) for how your daily gratuities are divyed (sp?) amongst the crew. Very enlightening! It helped me make adjustments to my EXCELLENT room steward one week by giving extra. But leaving my previous week's So-So room steward his normal grats. I am also one of those people who puts Hershey Kisses into silk draw string bags and passes them around. Oh, but I also stuff cash in the bags with the candy to make it more special! These I give to everyone from the crew member who makes my cappuccino to the server who hands me my pizza in Sorrento... or the person with a rag cleaning tables - wiping down hand railings - bringing room service, etc... It's my way of saying thank you.

Edited by CruiszBug