New Gratuity Rates coming to RC?

19 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

We asked our TA and she checked, told us that they would not be increasing grats in the near future, as they just did sometime last year.  

If my memory doesn´t fail... Celebrity last raised the grats in Jan 2018... RCI followed did the same ... 2018, two times in 2016... So it´s already 2 years ago.

steamboats

23 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

On Celebrity it looks like they gave people the option to pre-pay at the old rate if they do it before they sailed. 

On all the main cruise lines we have sailed and gratuities were raised before we sailed (which has happened to us on many sailings - almost yearly lately), we have always received an email offering to 'pre-pay' gratuities to hold the old prices......RCI, CCL, NCL, Princess etc.  It is a "normal" practice.

3 hours ago, buddylover said:

On all the main cruise lines we have sailed and gratuities were raised before we sailed (which has happened to us on many sailings - almost yearly lately), we have always received an email offering to 'pre-pay' gratuities to hold the old prices......RCI, CCL, NCL, Princess etc.  It is a "normal" practice.

When I started Cruising Asst Waiter, who covered double the tables as Waiter only received 75 cents a day pp. This when everyone had same waiter and asst for breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at same table. Room Attendant had only 8 rooms to watch, now many more. 3 Decades ago total tips for Waiter, Asst, and Room Attendant were less then $5 per person, per day. Glad rates have gone up. But no rhyme or reason we'd know, at times other lines tips went up, then Royal's. Other times couple times in a yr... Over the last 40yrs I've worked at or known many places where Waiter gets keep all Tips to other end where one waiter splits with many others inc Chef and Dishwashers. Doesnt seem that long ago my US waitstaff only received min wage of $2.35 hr plus tip's. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 hours ago, snl2000 said:

We’ve noticed many skip the final night in the MDR so they don’t have to feel compelled to give their wait staff that envelope.  

That has been going on long before the automatic gratuity and anytime dining began.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, Hogbay said:

The line up at GS is not people increasing gratuities 🙄 Been stuck there waiting to get new card that would open door 

That is because I don't have to go to GS to increase gratuities. I just hand cash to those who I choose to.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Rory,it is very kind of you to ask.

I am feeling a lot better and hopefully the heart medication and coronary stent will help me.

Kind Regards Graham.

Didn't know you had an issue. Glad to hear you are better.

• Thanks 1

People were removing or lowering last week. Just leave them alone the crew works endless hours. We also have cash to bartender staff etc.  that way they don’t split with others.  Why prepay a year or two in advance for 20 bucks or so.  Not good business sense.  

9 hours ago, snl2000 said:

We’ve noticed many skip the final night in the MDR so they don’t have to feel compelled to give their wait staff that envelope. 

And you know why these people are not in the MDR how? Back when we actually used the MDR we often skipped the last night for our reasons. We also never stiffed anyone. So just keep on assuming what ever you want.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

In the past when they have raised the rates you didn't even have to prepay them to lock in the old rates.  As long as you added them to your reservation they would be locked in.  They would then get paid at final payment

that is called pre-paying your gratuity.  funds are collected at final payment and are "pre-paid" when you board the ship

9 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

that is called pre-paying your gratuity.  funds are collected at final payment and are "pre-paid" when you board the ship

Yes, you know that and I know that my post was just to clarify it for new cruisers who may see the comments about prepaying and thinking that meant paying for it at the time in order to lock in the rates. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Didn't know you had an issue. Glad to hear you are better.

Thanks my DS friend.

I had a heart attack on December 18th and had 3 day's in hospital where they did an angioplasty and fitted 1 coronary stent and gave me medication I have to take.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, you know that and I know that my post was just to clarify it for new cruisers who may see the comments about prepaying and thinking that meant paying for it at the time in order to lock in the rates. 

Good clarification.

We always pre-pay and it is added to the final payment.

I can see how new cruisers might think this is added to their deposit and paid when booking which most of us know it is not but paid on final payment.

Hi all, thank you for all your help so far as we will be on our first ever cruise in August.

I have found the discussion on tips very interesting and helpful and I know different people have different views on tips and that is of course fine.

Call me naive to cruising anyway and don't get me wrong, I have no issues with tipping. I booked our cruise over 8 months ago and I included pre paid gratuities in my cruise. This I thought at the time would mean I did not have to worry about all that because as new cruisers we would have no idea what way to tip. Now I find it seems to be the norm that you do in fact tip extra. That makes me wonder why I pre paid gratuities in the first place. Now it also seems that some take off the pre paid gratuities at the start of the cruise and pay direct at the end. There also seems issues with, if you pre pay, do the right people share in that which is a surprise.

So, after reading this discussion I actually, now, as a new cruiser, feel the need to tip extra and yes, I know many will say, that is not the way you should feel but I just don't want to feel or look awkward if extra tipping is going on.

Genuinely by nature, cruises are expensive and I am sure like me, first time cruisers are not aware of the full nature of tipping. I know for a start, when I booked our cruise, as part of the deal we got the Deluxe Drinks package and I know while it said it was part of the cruise (offer), this was factored into the price and I know full well, there is NO way as moderate drinkers we will get no where near the value from that so I know the Cruise Ship benefits from that not the staff.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me giving my insight from a new cruiser into discussion, I am sure I will be on again asking more questions (smiles)

Sorry, just to add to the above, do staff actually know if you have pre paid gratuities ?

Edited by Baggies58

2 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

Hi all, thank you for all your help so far as we will be on our first ever cruise in August.

I have found the discussion on tips very interesting and helpful and I know different people have different views on tips and that is of course fine.

Call me naive to cruising anyway and don't get me wrong, I have no issues with tipping. I booked our cruise over 8 months ago and I included pre paid gratuities in my cruise. This I thought at the time would mean I did not have to worry about all that because as new cruisers we would have no idea what way to tip. Now I find it seems to be the norm that you do in fact tip extra. That makes me wonder why I pre paid gratuities in the first place. Now it also seems that some take off the pre paid gratuities at the start of the cruise and pay direct at the end. There also seems issues with, if you pre pay, do the right people share in that which is a surprise.

So, after reading this discussion I actually, now, as a new cruiser, feel the need to tip extra and yes, I know many will say, that is not the way you should feel but I just don't want to feel or look awkward if extra tipping is going on.

Genuinely by nature, cruises are expensive and I am sure like me, first time cruisers are not aware of the full nature of tipping. I know for a start, when I booked our cruise, as part of the deal we got the Deluxe Drinks package and I know while it said it was part of the cruise (offer), this was factored into the price and I know full well, there is NO way as moderate drinkers we will get no where near the value from that so I know the Cruise Ship benefits from that not the staff.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me giving my insight from a new cruiser into discussion, I am sure I will be on again asking more questions (smiles)

Sorry, just to add to the above, do staff actually know if you have pre paid gratuities ?

Some say yes some say no.

Personally to be sure that they can keep the extra when I give our Cabin Steward or waiter extra I tell them Thank you I have pre-paid and the cash is extra because they deserve it.

• Like 1

If you have pre-paid your gratuities then there is absolutely no need whatsoever to feel compelled to tip extra.

You should be enjoying your cruise, not worrying about tipping when you have already paid them!!!

Yes, you will be left envelopes at the end of the cruise to tip extra. It is absolutely your choice whether you do so or not. It is not mandatory and not required. You should not feel awkward at all.

I feel it is grossly unfair that a person new to cruising should be made to feel this way about tipping.

And yes, I believe the staff (cabin steward at least) do know who has prepaid. 

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

I have been cruising since 1986. I have experience before paid gratuity was even a thought. Back then they had a suggested tip and if service was better than expected I added more than the suggestion. When they changed to paid gratuity I participated  and if the service was better than expected I tipped the room steward extra and if someone in the buffet brought me my drink I tipped them a dollar or two depending on the situation and I would tip the MDR waiter extra if they provided excellent service. Fast forward 2019 Anthem of the Seas,  We sail three different cruise lines and this was the first time I didn't tip the MDR or room steward extra.  The service wasn't even up to par let alone excellent. On two occasions in the MDR I had to leave and walk to the bar to get refills on drinks. Every night was the bums rush practically throwing the food in front of you. Several night we didn't even get coffee with desert.  My soap dispenser was missing in my room and when I asked for it to be replaced or for some shampoo in a bottle all I got was bar soap. I had to ask twice. I asked for an extra towel so my wife could wrap her hair and it never came.  I just helped myself when there was a supply cart in the hall.  What I'm getting at is the cruise line and the staff agreed to accept the paid gratuity as compensation you are not obligated to add extra unless you receive better than standard service.  Don't be swayed from CC members and their sob stories of how the staff are so over worked. DW and I are over worked too and don't expect to do someone else's job while on vacation.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have been cruising since 1986. I have experience before paid gratuity even was even a thought. Back then they had a suggested tip and if service was better than expected I added more than the suggestion. When they changed to paid gratuity I participated  and if the service was better than expected I tipped the room steward extra and if someone in the buffet brought me my drink I tipped them a dollar or two depending on the situation and I would tip the MDR waiter extra if they provided excellent service. Fast forward 2019 Anthem of the Seas,  We sail three different cruise lines and this was the first time I didn't tip the MDR or room steward extra.  The service wasn't even up to par let alone excellent. On two occasions in the MDR I had to leave and walk to the bar to get refills on drinks. Every night was the bums rush practically throwing the food in front of you. Several night we didn't even get coffee with desert.  My soap dispenser was missing in my room and when I asked for it to be replaced or for some shampoo in a bottle all I got was bar soap. I had to ask twice. I asked for an extra towel so my wife could wrap her hair and it never came.  I just helped myself when there was a supply cart in the hall.  What I'm getting at is the cruise line and the staff agreed to accept the paid gratuity as compensation you are not obligated to add extra unless you receive better than standard service.  Don't be swayed from CC members and their sob stories of how the staff are so over worked. DW and I are over worked too and don't expect to do someone else's job while on vacation.

Excellent reply.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, icsys said:

This sounds bad, we're on Anthem in March 😯

I will say Anytime dining as far as service was the worst that I have experienced ever in any establishment. I even spoke to the maitre d who gave me his card. With that said we did experience excellent service one night from 2 women. They were on their game and I did tip them and wrote out an outstanding comment card  and turned it in the next day.  The room steward was probably at the end of his contract. He was just going through the motions. Never experienced anything like that before.  I have had so many wonderful cruises with excellent service and this was probably just a bad roll of the dice.  The food in the MDR was excellent and our room was clean so for that I'm thankful .

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baggies58 said:

Ok settle down. THERE IS NO NEED TO TIP EXTRA ONCE YOU HAVE PAID THE STANDARD GRATUITIES.

Also don't think everyone is throwing money all over the place and that you will look cheap by comparison. Um, no.

If you are prepaying or daily auto paying gratuities, you are GOOD. If you come across someone who is trying to make your vacation THE BEST IT EVER COULD BE then by all means, throw them some extra dollars. Give it to them whenever the mood strikes you. But DO NOT FEEL THIS IS IN ANY WAY REQUIRED.

Remember that there is a good amount of people who tip nothing. If you tip the suggested, crew is very happy. If you tip extra, they are super happy. But it is in no way expected. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Really??? That is one that I haven't read about here.  That's horrible!

We don't know what other people do. I'm sure there are even more heinous stories that could be related. Be glad we only heard about the M&Ms.

6 minutes ago, marci22 said:

If you are prepaying or daily auto paying gratuities, you are GOOD. If you come across someone who is trying to make your vacation THE BEST IT EVER COULD BE then by all means, throw them some extra dollars. Give it to them whenever the mood strikes you. But DO NOT FEEL THIS IS IN ANY WAY REQUIRED.

That's exactly what my wife and i do. We come prepared with extra cash to be able to tip additional if we feel we want to. There are many time we decide not too and other times we do. Just depends 

• Like 1