Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

costamaya-chacchi.com

Here is the link

Bruce

I went to the website, and it sounds like they have developed their entire area. There was no mention of any entrance fee like similar beach clubs have. As a member of the "hole-in-the-fence" gang, I know that was not an issue before. I'm just wondering with the new development if they have decided to charge for entry? Also, their location description was vague at best: "a ten minute walk from the pier". No mention of taking a cab as some used to do, nor any reference to a main gate entry. And, of course, no reference to the "hole in the fence". Also, it said to make reservations online because they will only allow so many at a time to be there. Has anyone visited yet since the website went up to tell us if entry is different from before?

Marsha

We were in Cosat Maya on 5/20/2010 & walked to the hole in the fence, went thru & walked thru the trees to the fence for this closed resort. There on the gate to go in were several signs that said plainly in English & Spanish, No Tresspassing.

We guess that for now, this place is closed & visitors are NOT welcome.

Too bad as that resort was a rockin place several years ago as well as a fun place to snorkel in the small natural pool near the walk out ship's pier.

Another sweet spot bites the dust !!

Here is Fernando's response to me.

Hi Bruce,

We expect to be open on July we will have restaurant and bar service available. There will be no entrance fee for the beach club, but as always we encourage you to take some drinks or meal with us.

As we are starting once again we have few staff, that's why we have added a reservation form on our website. This way we know in advance if visitors are arriving on certain dates and if they will be having a meal or drinks with us. You don't need to book to visit Chac-chi, but we encourage to do so if you would like your beer really cold!!!

Entrance to our place is by the "hole in the fence", there is plenty of information about it on the cruise boards posted by the "hole in the fence" gang.

I would like to thank you and all the people that have send us mails asking about Chac-Chi, this have encouraged us to open again. We hope that you enjoy the place again.

We look forward to see you on September.

F. Rivero

I asked about the No-trespassing signs also.....

Hi Bruce,

We put those signs after the hurricane so people know that we were close and weren't wondering around. I will make sure to take those signs down ASAP, please feel free to come and use all of our facilities.

F. Rivero.

I asked about the No-trespassing signs also.....

Hi Bruce,

We put those signs after the hurricane so people know that we were close and weren't wondering around. I will make sure to take those signs down ASAP, please feel free to come and use all of our facilities.

F. Rivero.

Bruce, thanks so much for posting all this valuable info! I think a lot of CCrs are anxious to visit ChacChi again. This is a real help in preparing to do so.

Marsha

I'm so happy that they will be re-opening! Our trip through the 'hole' a couple of years ago was the best day of our cruise....I've watched this conversation for so long waiting to hear good news. Can't wait to see the pics you guys post after they open!

Chac chi is the only reason that I would return to Costa Maya. We went there on our second trip to CM and it was the highlight of the trip. I am so glad that they are going to open it again.

Before finding this thread and reading all the info, I had sent an email to Chac-Chi. Since my response had a little more info then Bruce's, I thought I would post it.

Also, a question. Should we take our snorkel equipment with us to Chac-Chi?

Hi Ann,

Currently we have the following services available on our beach club:

• Fresh water showers
  • Beach chairs
  • Clean restrooms
  • Restaurant service with
    • Beef or chicken fajitas
    • Fish
    • Ceviche

[*]Fresh chips and salsa

[*]Bar service including liquor, beer, water, soft drinks.

There is no cost in using our facilities, but ask our visitors to have some drinks or meal with us. Meals are from 10-20 usd, beer are 2 usd, water and softdrinks 1 usd, liquor drinks 5usd.

If you have any other questions please let us know, if you are coming to visit us let us know so we have cold drinks waiting for you.

Regards,

F. Rivero

• 2 weeks later...

oh oh! i'm just finding about this now. I was all set to go to Mahahual and visit 100% Agave and hang out on the beach.. Now i'm wondering if going through the hole might not be a better choice!

Can't wait to read reviews and see pics once ppl start visiting them again from July onward.

decisions, decisions.

I brought my snorkel gear with me and put it to good use, but this was prior to the hurricane. I think the reef may have taken a beating. I also was noticing and telling people to stop standing on the reef. The reef is extremely fragile and even the slightest pressure against it with your fin can damage it severely, let alone stand on it..OMG never do that.

There were wonderful tidal pools as well along the ironshore.

I am anxious to hear if anyone snorkels and tells me how badly the reef got hit. There were alot of fish when I snorkeled there. It was pristine and beautiful.

People who were walking on the pier were asking me how did I get there. I actually saw crew jump in from the pier and swim to the beach. I bet they still do that.

• 3 weeks later...
oh oh! i'm just finding about this now. I was all set to go to Mahahual and visit 100% Agave and hang out on the beach.. Now i'm wondering if going through the hole might not be a better choice!

Can't wait to read reviews and see pics once ppl start visiting them again from July onward.

decisions, decisions.

Miss Rabbit...how long are you in port? Do both! Check out Cha Chi, all its offerings, scout a few pictures for those of us coming behind you and then for a measly $5 RT head over to Majahual and walk around and stop in and say hey to Fernando at 100% Agave...have a margarita and some tacos and head back to CM and the ship.

we'll be in port from 8am to 5pm.

I've been thinking it'll be plenty of time to do both. I would probably go to mahuhual first and get there early before it's inundated with people. Grab a bite at 100% agave then head back to port and seek out the hole in the fence. Of course i would completely photo document it for those of you coming afterwards :) The pics i've seen appear to have very coarse sand at Cha Chi's beach so i'm not sure how long i will end up staying there. I'd mostly be going just for the adventure of finding the place :)

Maybe a brief dip in the pool back in the fake town before heading back to the ship.

we'll be in port from 8am to 5pm.

I've been thinking it'll be plenty of time to do both. I would probably go to mahuhual first and get there early before it's inundated with people. Grab a bite at 100% agave then head back to port and seek out the hole in the fence. Of course i would completely photo document it for those of you coming afterwards :) The pics i've seen appear to have very coarse sand at Cha Chi's beach so i'm not sure how long i will end up staying there. I'd mostly be going just for the adventure of finding the place :)

Maybe a brief dip in the pool back in the fake town before heading back to the ship.

I will be looking forward to your review of Chac Chi and seeing your pictures. Sounds like an adventure - which I am always ready for. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I am so happy to see that they have reopened! Fernando and his crew are such a nice bunch.

I just wrote them a note stating that I would post here that they have reopened and recommended they post a picture of the entrance from the street since I don't know if the hole in the fence is visible.

We went there twice, once before the hurricane and once after when there was literally a dune of sand instead of the restaurant. Both times, we went through the hole.

That first time, we had a great fried fish dish and the second time, there was one worker who welcomed us. Of course the place was not opened but he found us a beer and cut up a couple of coconuts open for us. He took some chairs from the covered pile and we had a great time enjoying our own private little area.

here is the link again: http://www.chacchi.com/

Archived