Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

Not really wanting to make reservations but still want the option of going to Chac Chi. I e-mailed them to ask about going there without reservations. Here is the answer:

Hi Leslie,

Yes you can come over to Chac-Chi without reservations the only problem is that we will not be expecting you so we will not have snacks or drinks available. As always you can use the beach and our facilities at no cost.

The way to get to Chac Chi is still by the hole in the fence.

Regards,

F. Rivero

Not really wanting to make reservations but still want the option of going to Chac Chi. I e-mailed them to ask about going there without reservations. Here is the answer:

Hi Leslie,

Yes you can come over to Chac-Chi without reservations the only problem is that we will not be expecting you so we will not have snacks or drinks available. As always you can use the beach and our facilities at no cost.

The way to get to Chac Chi is still by the hole in the fence.

Regards,

F. Rivero

that seems very odd. If they don't stock any snacks or drinks, do they even have anyone working there if they're not expecting anyone? And what if we reserve, then don't end up making it there? They've made all that food for nothing?

If you do go there travelbig, please let us know of your experience.

that seems very odd. If they don't stock any snacks or drinks, do they even have anyone working there if they're not expecting anyone? And what if we reserve, then don't end up making it there? They've made all that food for nothing?

If you do go there travelbig, please let us know of your experience.

I know, I thought it was a weird answer too. Certainly they stock a certain amount of food and drink choices. We will be there on Sept. 2, and if I can find the hole in the fence and get over there I will let you know about it. It's just so nice that it is right there by the pier - so easy. When are you going to be in Costa Maya?

You would have had to been there before to understand.

If they aren't expecting anyone, there may well not be anyone working that day and no, they don't stock supplies. I'm not even sure there is electricity, unless they added it. There used to just be ice chests which I imagine would be stocked daily and removed at night.

It is, or certainly was, very rustic, but the price is right and the people (if there) friendly. Certainly not a typical tourist trap.

If someone is there, then you should buy something. If not, you are free to bring your own.

If they aren't expecting anyone, there may well not be anyone working that day and no, they don't stock supplies. I'm not even sure there is electricity, unless they added it. There used to just be ice chests which I imagine would be stocked daily and removed at night.

It is, or certainly was, very rustic, but the price is right and the people (if there) friendly. Certainly not a typical tourist trap.

If someone is there, then you should buy something. If not, you are free to bring your own.

ahhh i was suspecting that was the case. Bring in stuff in ice chests then pack out when ppl leave. Odds are, if we don't make a reservation, there may very well not be anyone around.

We're going well after y'all are. Not til Nov 11th or 12th.

Sargent,

Once again, thank you so much for your information. You also answered my question about the 3 Reef Snorkeling in Cozumel. I had no idea Chac Chi was so basic and this info is good to know for anyone interested in going over there.

i'm curious what the beach is going to be like there. From the photos i've found, it appears to be more of a crushed shell beach vs a sand beach. Small, drops off, mostly good for snorkling. But that's all deduced from photos. For those that have been there, am i close?

i'm curious what the beach is going to be like there. From the photos i've found, it appears to be more of a crushed shell beach vs a sand beach. Small, drops off, mostly good for snorkling. But that's all deduced from photos. For those that have been there, am i close?

I was there before the hurricane, but at that time I seriously regretted leaving my watershoes on the ship. I didn't last long in the water - the bottom wasn't smooth sand, more like broken coral and shells and small rocks (and I have very tender feet). The beach itself was fine, and there were loungers available, but my husband was freaked out because we were the only people there and he was uncomfortable so we didn't stay very long.

Hope this helps.

Janis

thanks Janis. That really does help. One question.. did the ocean floor drop off quickly once you're in the water or was it fairly shallow for a bit?

It seemed to stay shallow,but we didn't go out very far. In the 20 or 30 yards we got off shore, the water never got above our knees. We didn't go near the rocks to the left - it might have been deeper there, as I know others have said you could snorkle there and it definitely wasn't deep enough to snorkle where we were.

Janis

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Costa Maya last week and I walked around (in the drizzle) looking for the road to take me over to the hole in the fence. No luck. I guess no one else found it either, because it looked just like the pictures above - no one there. After lunch, with the rain stopped and sun out, we were able to snorkle from the rocky area on the shopping side of the pier. You need something on your feet to get over to the water and to get out of the water but it was really nice and some really pretty fish.

When I contacted them ahead of time they said people could still come over to use the beach and snorkle even if a reservation was not made. It didn't make sense to me to pay for food that close to the ship when I wasn't planning on being there that long. But you can snorkle/swim on the other side of the pier - just be careful getting in and out of the water. There are grass huts and lounges (no charge) at this location too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We were in Costa Maya on 11/18 on the Dream, it was raining lightly & when we walked in the dock we saw no one there at all.

Was it the weather or are they done ??

We did not go to the hole in the fence again, which we are familiar with.

Anymore current info ?

We were just in Costa Mays and could not find this hole in the fence. Is it a thing of the past? When we looked from the ship we did not see any other beaches or people on either side of the port area. Is the fence on the left or right hand side of the port area?? When you looked from the ship there was a place to the right of the pier that looked like th picture posted above of a de-funk place. Is that where it was? Thanks

You are right that when you look just to the right of the pier, that is where the closed or open beach resort was/is.

To get to the hole in the fence, walk thru & out of the tourist shopping area & keep going out the gate to your first possible right turn street. Take that right & stay on the right side of the street & you will come to a commissary building on the left side of this street & the hole in the fence will be there on the right side of the street.

Go thru the hole in the frnce & follow the path to the small gate for this resort.

They also have a web site that you can find here on this board.

You might need skeeter spray for the walk from the hole to the gate & this walk takes at least five minutes.

Good luck !

Bill in FL

My understanding is that you now have to let them know via the web/email that you are planning on showing up or else they won't be there. However, they do seem a bit lack in getting the word out. Perhaps they don't want all the hoi-polloi from the peir area to meannder over.

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding is that you now have to let them know via the web/email that you are planning on showing up or else they won't be there. However, they do seem a bit lack in getting the word out. Perhaps they don't want all the hoi-polloi from the peir area to meannder over.

So glad to hear they have reopened.

We joined the "hole in the fence" gang just one week before Hurricane Dean took everything out.

We will be back in November!!!

• 6 months later...

Sadly, it looks like Chac Chi is no more.

We were in Costa Maya on Thursday, the 17th, and there was no one there at all.

IMG_1492.jpg

Not even in the early afternoon.

IMG_1503.jpg

Mahaual malecon has turned into an ambush zone. At least as bad as the Plaza in San Miguel, Cozumel. Best to try for Maya Chan or go to Jaime's Nohoch Kay at the very south end of the malecon if you want those quiet beaches in Costa Maya.

IMG_1511.jpg

We tried to find this place a few months ago and could not seem to find where the hole in the wall was or where this resort even was located. When it was up and running could you see it from the ship? Was it where that abondoned shack is, I think to the right of the shopping area??

We tried to find this place a few months ago and could not seem to find where the hole in the wall was or where this resort even was located. When it was up and running could you see it from the ship? Was it where that abondoned shack is, I think to the right of the shopping area??

We were able to see it from our ship, and it was to the right of the port shopping area.

crewsweeper -

Your pictures look great! Is it possible to get to that beach from the port area even if there is no one there for drinks, food, etc? I would love to just explore a beach and that one looks great if it would be possible to access it.

thanks

Archived