Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

Just back today. The concrete wall has been extended much further and the resort looked dead from our pictures. I got a few pictures from the ship and will post them reall soon. I hope they come back, but it doesn't look very promising right now. Both the village and the port are rebuilding and building much quicker than the resort is. Saw new construction that will expand the port area much further into the land and down the boulevard. I'll post pics later.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. When we went there two years ago it looked dead too just looking from the pier. When we got there we where the first one's there and we wondered if it was even open. but soon a few more people showed up and we were able to get beers at the main enclosure but nobody ever came down to the beach trying to sell us anything if you wanted something you had to go up to the main hut. It was very nice to relax on the beach and not be bothered. By the time we left that day maybe 20 people had showed up and there where 3 ships in port.

Here is the link! Joaquin or his son sent this to me on 11/23.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/jmiller981/Chac-ChiMap.jpg

We will hopefully check it out on 12/18.

That is the map I drew and posted quite a while back (post #717). While it was accurate back then (summer of 2007), be careful because that was pre-hurricane Dean and I'm not sure what might have changed. As others have mentioned the holes tend to move and we count on recent visitors to keep us all updated.

Of all the destruction that Dean caused that stupid wall stayed put :mad:.

Chac-Chi's is by far my favorite cruise destination and I'm also anxiously waiting for pictures from Chac-Chi's and wish them the best of luck in rebuilding.

John

we all heard that Chac Chi was leveled. So sad.

Look at that picture. The trees are bare. Their leaves where stripped by the hurricane.

Keep in mind that Chac Chi was there way before the pier was built. There is alot of nasty politics that went on by the pier owner towards chac chi. Here is a family trying to make the best of what they have and a corporation comes in and shuts them out because they wouldnt sell out.

You have to experience Chac Chi in order to know what I am talking about and what everyone else is talking about on this board. Its a very special place. Its the real Costa Maya, not the pier area that is your typical commercialized tourist trap. Try your best to experience Chac chi.

I

nolaAlive- Is that a current picture? It looks as if the thached structure is gone.

Yes, that's a current picture as of Nov 08. The hurricane really did a number on Costa Maya. Hopefully Chac Chi will be rebuilt but it may take some time to get to where it was before.

If you're interested, here is the link to the rest of our Costa Maya review from November 08. It's on this site but you may not have seen it. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=875949

nolaAlive- Is that a current picture? It looks as if the thached structure is gone.

But how hard can it be to build a palapa? There is lots of material all around that can be used.

I suspect they may have replanted the palms. brought in some sand, and probably had one heck of mess to clean up after Dean. I doubt they received any help from the government or the cruise ships.

I do plan on trying to get a look see and more pictures within a week.

But how hard can it be to build a palapa? There is lots of material all around that can be used.

It's really a question of money. They need investors to help them rebuild. Unfortunately, there are no funds since they are completely blocked out from any revenue. Of course, there must be some serious issues because of the concrete wall that completely blocks access.

Joaquin, the owner of Chac-Chi, owns 3 kms of beautiful undeveloped beach front land on Costa Maya.

Carlos, the care taker, welcomed us with open arms, this past Thursday. We came unnanounced. He sold us a couple of warm beers and apologized for not having any ice. As a welcome gift, he opened up 2 coconuts for us.

There is a mountain of sand in what was once the dining room. Carlos spent most of his time shoveling it out. The floor tiles are being reset one at a time. They would need to bus in a lot of sand to rebuild the beach area.

The beach and the water are very rocky and littered with glass and wood. Despite the choppy waters, I snorkeled a while to see what was on the bottom. In one area, there are hundreds of baby urchins. I saw coral no bigger than 2 " diameter and very few fish.

They lost the house cat and dog during the hurricane. DH is uploading some photos right now and we will post a link to those photos in a little while.

The hole in the fence is directly across from the garage of the Comisariato. The walk from the pier takes 8 minutes and the walk from the hole in the fence to the entrance to the beach takes 7 minutes. No trespassing signs might intimidate the meek at the entrance but don't let that deter you.

• 2 weeks later...

Fighterone...thanks for the photos.

I knew the coral reef would take a beating. When I was there, there was a nice reef and many fish. It will come back slowly. Reefs take time and are very fragile.

I can see that some of the ironshore area has been wiped out..What a shame.

They need our support. Even if you buy a beer or a soda will help. I can see they've planted palm trees. Slowly but surely it will return. Geez, I feel so bad for them. They dont have money to rebuild like the corporate owned pier.

Chac Chi was one of my most favorite places to visit and it still will be despite the damagel. The people who operate it are wonderful.

Some of the palm trees are survivors.

Many pictures on this page:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/NCLSprit08/cm/index4.htm

but a few here

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

It is actually easier to get to Chac-Chi these days than in some of the earlier days.

This pre-Dean sign mostly survived

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

Go ahead and trespass

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived