Baltimore Hotel Recommendation

riverdees05

We are looking to sail out of Baltimore in May.  Would like recommendations on Hotels.  We will be flying in the day before our departure and staying the night.  It would be good to stay at a hotel that has shuttle service from Airport and to Carnival Pride port.   Also, what is the best way to get from the Ship to the Airport on the return.  We are flying Southwest.

What time will you be getting to Baltimore? Do you want to do anything in Baltimore, or just looking for a place to sleep?

If you're arriving mid-day or earlier and have a good chunk of the day, I'd seriously consider not worrying about shuttles and the like and take a cab or Uber into Baltimore, probably Harbor East, were you can find things to do an places to eat within an easy walk of the hotel. And an easy cab or Uber to the port. Something like the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront, for instance.

If you're getting in late afternoon, then there are hotels with airport shuttles and some with cruise port shuttles near the airport. There are just fewer options of things to do and places to eat within walking distance. Most of the airport hotels will shuttle you to a nearby restaurant. Too many choices depending on budget, amenities, etc. 

Getting back you can cab or Uber. RideGuru says $19 for UberX and $31 for a cab, as estimates. If you stay at an airport property with a cruise shuttle, they may pick you up as well (a lot of them do parking packages so they're picking you up to go back to your car).

There is a new Courtyard  by Mariott  at McHenry Row,. This hotel is brand new and located with about a  5 or 10  Minute walk to the cruise terminal.  There are a lot of places to eat in the Locust Point area that are in walking distance. 

Edited by Tony O
  • Like 1

I keep forgetting that one! Probably because I visit Baltimore, but don't cruise from there.

Although I was sad to learn the Wine Market Bistro right around the corner has apparently closed. That was a great place to eat!

On 1/21/2020 at 6:20 PM, Tony O said:

There is a new Courtyard  by Mariott  at McHenry Row,. This hotel is brand new and located with about a  5 or 10  Minute walk to the cruise terminal.  There are a lot of places to eat in the Locust Point area that are in walking distance. 

It appears to be across 95 from the port.  Is it really walkable to get there?  (We are used to doing that in Manhattan, with luggage, but never had to cross a major highway.)  Sounds intriguing, though; it would be neat to see the ship before heading over there in the morning.

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

It appears to be across 95 from the port.  Is it really walkable to get there?  (We are used to doing that in Manhattan, with luggage, but never had to cross a major highway.)  Sounds intriguing, though; it would be neat to see the ship before heading over there in the morning.

Yes there is a sidewalk.You would walk  under the highway There is a traffic light at intersection so easy to cross.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this hotel and booked a room at a great rate.  Google Maps indicates there's a toll on the route from the hotel to the terminal but I can't figure out why.  Also wondering if they offering any parking options.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, WendyVF said:

I just found this hotel and booked a room at a great rate.  Google Maps indicates there's a toll on the route from the hotel to the terminal but I can't figure out why.  Also wondering if they offering any parking options.

What is the name of the hotel and location ?

6 hours ago, lisagro said:

What is your opinion of the Lord Baltimore Hotel? Someone has gotten us a good group rate there for the night before our cruise.

It's an iconic  hotel that has been around for many years and kept up to high standards. With that said there really is nothing  around the hotel area. The area is somewhat safe. I can recommend the hotel but not the area.

Be very, very careful hoofing it in the area around the Baltimore Cruise Terminal. Half a block can be the difference between tourist Baltimore and some very seedy areas, and people drive fast and stupidly around there. The areas around the Harbor, Fells Point, and Fort McHenry are safe, but only for about two blocks away from the water. I'd call the area around the cruise terminal iffy. You can walk it by day - there are underpasses - but you're passing close to some not-so-great areas of town. If that bothers you, consider Uber.

Tip: If you want something amazing and unique for chow, check out Little Greece on Eastern Avenue. There's a place called Ikaros, run by a Greek family with authentic Greek food that is to die for.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, Cruisingformetime said:

Be very, very careful hoofing it in the area around the Baltimore Cruise Terminal. Half a block can be the difference between tourist Baltimore and some very seedy areas, and people drive fast and stupidly around there. The areas around the Harbor, Fells Point, and Fort McHenry are safe, but only for about two blocks away from the water. I'd call the area around the cruise terminal iffy. You can walk it by day - there are underpasses - but you're passing close to some not-so-great areas of town. If that bothers you, consider Uber.

Tip: If you want something amazing and unique for chow, check out Little Greece on Eastern Avenue. There's a place called Ikaros, run by a Greek family with authentic Greek food that is to die for.

The Locust Point neighborhood  where the cruise terminal is near is a very safe neighborhood  area to walk around. Many restaurants an a new hotel  in the area as well as world headquarters to Under Armour.  The areas near the cruise terminal is iindustrial .

Ikaros is a very old Baltimore staple restaurant  that is located in what was once a very  safe area called Greektown. The area is not as safe as it use to be. As anywhere be aware of your surroundings. 

• Like 1

If you're getting in that early, I'd probably look at Harbor East where there are things to do and not sweat the shuttles. The Marriott Waterfront is in a nice location, and I believe there are several other hotels in that area.

The 5:00 pm departure will probably suck a bit. I know some folks rent cars (assuming their bags will fit out of sight) and spend the day in the area. Don't know if there are any decent day room options in Baltimore to at least have a place to leave bags and do something...

Trinity reservation for best western plus Elkridge, MD $139.00 for 2 overnight stay breakfast parking and shuttle. Indoor pool and sauna. Recently renovated. Excellent. We’ve enjoyed our experience twice here. Timbuktu’s resteraunts is a mile down the road. But stain glass pub next door for crab cakes is excellent too!
Twice for the grandeur cruise ship.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, Cruisingformetime said:

Um, Ikaros is in a very "iffy" area, much more so than Locust Point. 

Edited by madelinerose
  • Like 1