Drift snorkel in Raiatea/Taha’a without pearl or vanilla stop

Gracelyn

Try Bruno at L’ Excursion Bleue. You can find website with that name.

Ask if he’ll do 1/2 day no lunch, with sharks and rays and 2-3 passes on Coral Gardens- ask about skipping the pearl and vanilla farm. Not sure if he’ll do but you can give it a try. I hate that touristy stuff too.

We did a 5 hour trip with him and it was wonderful. But only one pass at Coral Gardens drift snorkel. We were on Windstar and on second day did a tour that was fantastic if you happen to be on that ship. Expensive but worth it if your ship offers the same. The drift snorkel is incredible but even the setting absolutely gorgeous. I’m sure you already know but you must have water shoes. We were told to bring pants ( tights), gloves and rash guard and glad we had them. Depending on the current you can really get banged around.

We are bringing the protective gear like you suggested. What tour did you do in your second day? Was that Bruno’s?

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Try Bruno at L’ Excursion Bleue. You can find website with that name.

Ask if he’ll do 1/2 day no lunch, with sharks and rays and 2-3 passes on Coral Gardens- ask about skipping the pearl and vanilla farm. Not sure if he’ll do but you can give it a try. I hate that touristy stuff too.

We did a 5 hour trip with him and it was wonderful. But only one pass at Coral Gardens drift snorkel. We were on Windstar and on second day did a tour that was fantastic if you happen to be on that ship. Expensive but worth it if your ship offers the same. The drift snorkel is incredible but even the setting absolutely gorgeous. I’m sure you already know but you must have water shoes. We were told to bring pants ( tights), gloves and rash guard and glad we had them. Depending on the current you can really get banged around.

Bruno has other bookings that he picks up at the gas station  .... likely a bunch from the ship she is on  .... so it isn't likely he would have an empty boat that he can do a custom tour. 

Without knowing the ship she is on it's hard to give accurate advise as only the smaller ships anchor off of Tahaa  .... mid size and larger stay in Raiatea

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

9 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

If the Jewel has a tour to the Coral Gardens I’d book it.

Agreed  ..... the Jewel will not go anchor off of Tahaa so the only opportunity is the ship's excursion if they have one to the Coral Garden or Bruno. The other possibility would be to take a taxi to the airport and then the Le Tahaa Resort shuttle if they would allow you to purchase a ride as the Coral Garden sits next to it.

activites@letahaa.com

7 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Agreed  ..... the Jewel will not go anchor off of Tahaa so the only opportunity is the ship's excursion if they have one to the Coral Garden or Bruno. The other possibility would be to take a taxi to the airport and then the Le Tahaa Resort shuttle if they would allow you to purchase a ride as the Coral Garden sits next to it.

activites@letahaa.com

Actually we have been out with Bruno when we were on a 650 passenger ship and 8 out of 10 wanted to do a tour without vanilla farm and pearls. It wasn’t what the tour was described as and the one couple were insistent. Still think that while it’s not likely, it’s still within the realm of possibilities that Bruno would run the tour that way depending on the requests of the group.

There is another tour called Arii Moana that does a 6 passenger boat to the Coral Gardens but also includes vanilla and pearl farms- I only know one person who has done it and she was pleased. They might be more amenable to dropping pearl and vanilla especially if by some chance you were able to get a group of like minded souls on your roll call.

i know of no other way to get to the Coral Gardens other than by private charter $$$$. Maybe the Kahuna knows another way-

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

Thanks all

Gracelyn,, like you we are bored to tears with the pearl and vanilla stops. Just to get to the Coral Garden I’d put up with it and go with Bruno. The stop he took us to before all the “farms” was the most incredibly clear places we visited with abundant sharks and rays and no one else! He.s a great guide at Coral Gardens and you can’t beat his price.

14 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Thanks Petoonya, I’m going to email him. The ship is 235$cnd and is 3 1/2 hours. Seems steep 

Wow! We paid $129 on Windstar for 3 passes over the stream. And also 3.5 hrs. Maybe you’re getting a champagne lunch!

17 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Wow! We paid $129 on Windstar for 3 passes over the stream. And also 3.5 hrs. Maybe you’re getting a champagne lunch!

Lol. Have to convert it to Canadian 

I have emailed Bruno. Just waiting to hear. 

Yes  ..... it was $129 on the Paul Gauguin for 3 passes and 3.5 hours. But in all fairness it's much further from Raiatea than the motus that PG and Windstar use.

Go with Bruno  .... He's let us take more than one pass in the past  .... just ask early on so he can keep people moving prior to arriving at the drift snorkel  .... he can't be lat on the return 😉

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Yes  ..... it was $129 on the Paul Gauguin for 3 passes and 3.5 hours. But in all fairness it's much further from Raiatea than the motus that PG and Windstar use.

Go with Bruno  .... He's let us take more than one pass in the past  .... just ask early on so he can keep people moving prior to arriving at the drift snorkel  .... he can't be lat on the return 😉

TBK- just out of curiosity I didn’t think Raiatea was more than 10 min from Tahaa by zodiac. And Windstar’s motu is smack in between. Or at least that’s what they told us. If they’re right Coral Gardens isn’t more than 5-10 min further from Raiatea than Windstar’s motu. Which would still make HA’s price outrageous.

Wouldnt be the first time I got distances anywhere confused.

56 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

TBK- just out of curiosity I didn’t think Raiatea was more than 10 min from Tahaa by zodiac. And Windstar’s motu is smack in between. Or at least that’s what they told us. If they’re right Coral Gardens isn’t more than 5-10 min further from Raiatea than Windstar’s motu. Which would still make HA’s price outrageous.

Wouldnt be the first time I got distances anywhere confused.

See attached map - got to be about 10 miles from the dock on Raiatea to the drift snorkel location

map.JPG

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

See attached map - got to be about 10 miles from the dock on Raiatea to the drift snorkel location

map.JPG

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree I guess as Motu Mahaea where Wind Spirit launches from is actually way around Tahaa on the east side of the island. It’s actually equidistant or maybe a little further than Uturoa on Raitaea. So HA again is doubly highway robbery.

are you emailing with this address? exb@mail.pf

Sometimes it may take a few days as it is 'island' time 😉

In your OP you mentioned 'we'  ..... you do know you can book an entire outrigger, up to 12 passengers .... if you fill it the price is about $95 USD per person  .... then you can spend an entire day where you want 😉

mail.pf