EZ Check and Southwest

WisCruiser2

For anyone who has done EZ Check in Ft. Lauderdale with Southwest Airlines -- will the EZ Check do the check-in for us and get our boarding number or do we need to still check in ourselves? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and see if I can get Earlybird Check-in for just our return flight, especially if I can't rely on EZ Check to do it as close to 24 hours as possible.

29 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

For anyone who has done EZ Check in Ft. Lauderdale with Southwest Airlines -- will the EZ Check do the check-in for us and get our boarding number or do we need to still check in ourselves? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and see if I can get Earlybird Check-in for just our return flight, especially if I can't rely on EZ Check to do it as close to 24 hours as possible.

We’ve used SW several times with EZ check and they have never checked us in early. Two weeks ago we were B34 & B43! Also the luggage tags typically get to the cabin late; like after 8pm. If you really want an early boarding time suggest you get the Earlybird but admit I don’t know how that works. 

We've done EZ check with Southwest ... such a very awesome service!  We didn't get the EB Check-in but we did take it upon ourselves to check in exactly 24 hours ahead of time ourselves.  The EZ check from Princess was really just about the luggage.  It doesn't mess anything up if you check in for your flight before they do ... and then you don't have to count on the cruiseline to get you checked in at the 24 hour mark.  

Thanks for all of your help! I've never done Earlybird, just try to check in as close to the 24 hour mark as possible, seems like we're usually in the B group. Our flight (on a Saturday) isn't until 1:45 and I'd rather do something in Ft Lauderdale for a couple hours rather than be in all the chaos at the airport, and it would be sweet to not have to worry about luggage!

10 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Thanks for all of your help! I've never done Earlybird, just try to check in as close to the 24 hour mark as possible, seems like we're usually in the B group. Our flight (on a Saturday) isn't until 1:45 and I'd rather do something in Ft Lauderdale for a couple hours rather than be in all the chaos at the airport, and it would be sweet to not have to worry about luggage!

That is the beauty of EZ check in ... no luggage to worry about.  Plus, since the airport is so close to not only the pier but also to town, you will have a couple of hours to knock around.  

We do the Early bird check in and have been just about as successful in getting seats together without it.  It's gone up on some routes ... last time it was $20 pp and it still doesn't really guarantee anything.  Don't get me wrong, I still really like SW .. just not the increase in prices.  But, that goes for everything.  

Everything was great about using the luggage service on Southwest in Ft. Lauderdale except for checking in for boarding position. I'd advise you to either purchase early bird check-in or to do your own check-in at the 24 hour mark.

• Like 2

You definitely need Early Bird.  The ship checks people in when they get around to it without regard to the 24 hours before flight rule so you can easily get a higher boarding number if you don't have Early Bird.  The other advantage is that you don't have to worry about the "can't check in luggage until 4 hours before flight" that Fort Lauderdale has.  Note that for Southwest you can buy only one EZ Check and send two bags free.  Pick up other boarding pass at the airport.

We fly Southwest often. EZcheck and Early Bird are two different things. EZcheck simply allows you to put out your bags in the evening and then not see them again until you get to your home airport. It’s great and we use it whenever possible.  You still need to “check in” when you get to the airport. Early Bird gives you a more desirable boarding position (usually in the “A” group) when it’s time to actually get on the aircraft and, hopefully, allows you to get the seat you want while there is still space in the overhead bins.

Edited by BigGuy25

17 hours ago, LeeW said:

You definitely need Early Bird.  The ship checks people in when they get around to it without regard to the 24 hours before flight rule so you can easily get a higher boarding number if you don't have Early Bird.  The other advantage is that you don't have to worry about the "can't check in luggage until 4 hours before flight" that Fort Lauderdale has.  Note that for Southwest you can buy only one EZ Check and send two bags free.  Pick up other boarding pass at the airport.

That would be great except we will have 3 bags. We put our snorkel gear in a rolling duffel and check it, too. Think we'll have to bite the bullet and do the EZ Check for both of us so we don't have to haul the duffel (which could be a carryon) around.

4 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

We fly Southwest often. EZcheck and Early Bird are two different things. EZcheck simply allows you to put out your bags in the evening and then not see them again until you get to your home airport. It’s great and we use it whenever possible.  You still need to “check in” when you get to the airport. Early Bird gives you a more desirable boarding position (usually in the “A” group) when it’s time to actually get on the aircraft and, hopefully, allows you to get the seat you want while there is still space in the overhead bins.

Yep, aware of that 🙂 If we're paying for the EZ Check don't know that I also want to spend another $50 for Earlybird check-in, will just pay attention and check in as close to the 24 hours we can. We don't necessarily have to sit next to each other, and generally our carryons fit under the seat. Thanks for the info!

One of the best things about EZ check is that each person on your reservation can check 2 bags and the weight restriction of 50 lbs doesn’t apply! So if you have 4 bags between the two of you could stuff the equivalent of a 5th bag in those. 

• Like 1