First Nite Dining-casual Or Dress?

lilmsonry

Hello, on the night we board the ship, is the dining area casual or dress clothes?

Also, we have a large oceanview room-is there a refrigerator in there? If there is, and it has water, pop, etc. in it, can we ask to take out so we don't use it and be charged? If they take out-can we still use the fridge, if there is one??

Thanks everybody!!:)

Casual dress is allowed because some passengers may not have gotten their luggage before dinner, so they have to eat in their travelling clothes. It doesn't mean that passengers should make a concerted effort to look like slobs.

And I mean that in the NICEST way. :D :D :D

Usually we fly in a day early and I'll just put a pair of causal slacks and a polo shirt in my carry on bag. Most people are dressed very casual on that first night wearing whatever they put on in the morning to travel. I think a lot of people fly in the day of the cruise.

Wear what you'll feel comfortable in spending the day getting to the ship if you fly in the day of the cruise and don't worry about it. I don't believe most people don't really care what you're wearing to dinner. Especially on that first night.

No, you can not wear shorts to the dining room. Jeans (capris or pants) would also not be allowed.

Would you be refused service in the dining room iif you wore that sort of stuff?

Would they ask you to leave the dining room?

Since people may not have received their luggage yet, they're much more relaxed about the dress "code/suggestions/requirements/" on the first night. No one is going to ask you to leave the dining room, unless you show up naked. However, that doesn't mean that anyone should take it as an invitation to wear shorts or other attire that would otherwise be considered inappropriate.

Thanks Hystry!! So, we can wear shorts, capris, etc. Regular stuff we would wear to the shore, other than bathingsuit??

Right. No bathing suits even with a cover up. Try packing a change of clothes in your carry on. Very easy to do. I personally don't wear shorts to the dining room on any night of the cruise because I have those clothes with me when I board or I board in something appropriate. They really are very lax on the first night, so don't sweat it too much.

I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room on the first night because of what they wore. Of course, I haven't noticed if anyone tried to get in wearing a pink tutu either.

No, you can not wear shorts to the dining room. Jeans (capris or pants) would also not be allowed.

Actually on our last cruise we were walking behind someone wearing shorts the first night and they asked the dinning staff if they needed to change, because they didnt have their luggage yet and the Head Waiter said absolutly not come in and enjoy your meal!! He did however state that after that night shorts would not be allowed. So the first night they really dont care at all!!! They always allow people to wear jeans the first night the are not going to through anyone out because they havent gotten their luggage. People who have been on several cruises know that they might not get their luggage in time and pack something nicer in their carryon but what about a new cruiser you think they are going to know to do that not a chance, and those waiters want the customers in the dinning room each night so they are not going to turn them away the first night, they want to get them in their and get them comfortable so that they will continue to return./

I thought we cleared this up on the still ongoing thread about RCI stating "There is NO no-jeans policy" So I am not saying I know more than you by ANY means Smrtypnts but I think you are wrong. Just by reading the rules and everyone else's experiences say it is 100% okay, which is it guys?

I thought we cleared this up on the still ongoing thread about RCI stating "There is NO no-jeans policy" So I am not saying I know more than you by ANY means Smrtypnts but I think you are wrong. Just by reading the rules and everyone else's experiences say it is 100% okay, which is it guys?

That depends on your point of view! ;)

Seriously, if you follow the suggested guidelines then only you can interpret it to mean yes or no. My interpretation is no, they aren't okay, but others will have the opposite interpretation.

Actually on our last cruise we were walking behind someone wearing shorts the first night and they asked the dinning staff if they needed to change, because they didnt have their luggage yet and the Head Waiter said absolutly not come in and enjoy your meal!! He did however state that after that night shorts would not be allowed.
HA! Shorts on EVERY night of my last cruise - no one was turned away. Shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps. No one was looked at sideways. Just in they came, and ate their dinner. Forget about jeans. They look neat and appropriate next to someone in a t-shirt and shorts and baseball cap.

Don't know if your cabin will have a fridge or not. If it does, the cabin steward will remove all their stuff so you can put yours in. Don't expect your soda to stay very cold. They have those things set so high that you still need to put ice in your drinks. I asked the steward if they could be set colder and he said there was no way to adjust them.

Luckily, I've not been on a cruise where I saw shorts in the dining room (except on children). I have sat near the door where people were turned away. Someone at our tabel on the last cruise had to go and change since the head waiter wouldn't let him in the door with shorts on even though it was casual night. So, I guess it depends on the head waiters.

apparently this person is either blind or has never actually sailed on RCI. I've seen blue jeans on EVERY royal caribbean sailing we've been on and my wife wears capri pants into the dining room on a regular basis. My wife has NEVER been asked to change, leave or not been allowed in the dining room. In fact, no one has ever so much as said one word to her about her capri pants.

I really have a distaste for people who blatently lie about things, just so that the world will turn the direction they want it to turn. Jeans are allowed in the dining room, capri pants are allowed in the dining room and you don't have to be wearing formal wear on formal nights to dine in the dining room.

Luckily, I've not been on a cruise where I saw shorts in the dining room (except on children). I have sat near the door where people were turned away. Someone at our tabel on the last cruise had to go and change since the head waiter wouldn't let him in the door with shorts on even though it was casual night. So, I guess it depends on the head waiters.

I have to say that I've never seen someone in shorts in the dining room. My memory is that shorts and bathing suits are actually listed as excluded from the dining room but, I don't actually keep cruise compasses from our sailings to verify that fact.

RCI does not seem to be consitant about anything they do so I would not be surprised if shorts wear allowed on one sailing while denied on another. Jeans I've seen on every sailing, shorts I haven't seen on any sailing (yet).

The last cruise on RCI I took, the first night was listed as "come as you are" for the the dining room. Departure was listed as 9:00 pm and we left port late. They were still loading luggage after the late seating for dinner had started.

You can definately remove everything from the fridge and replace it twith your own stuff.

I have to say that I've never seen someone in shorts in the dining room. My memory is that shorts and bathing suits are actually listed as excluded from the dining room but, I don't actually keep cruise compasses from our sailings to verify that fact.

RCI does not seem to be consitant about anything they do so I would not be surprised if shorts wear allowed on one sailing while denied on another. Jeans I've seen on every sailing, shorts I haven't seen on any sailing (yet).

Jeans are allowed in the dining room as are capris. I agree with you on the consistency issue. Since I do have the cruise compasses from almost all of my cruises, I found this statement "Please be aware that shorts, hats, and tank tops are not conisdered appropriate attire for the dining rooms at dinner." It makes no mention of capris or jeans. I'm going to have to locate my first cruise compass for the Song of America. I think back then jeans were not allowed. It also stated that the dress for the evening was to be followed in all the public areas. Boy, how things have changed in the last 15 years or so.

Doug those are some of the greatest pictures I had seen so far. We are cruising on Feb13th on Enchantment for the first time 13 of us and now I'm beginning to get excited. I hope the weather is great for us in Feb how was it in December.

Archived