Bora Bora is in love with PGC and Ponant

Tahitianbigkahuna

The mayor of Bora Bora has let it be known that starting in 2022 no more than 1000 cruise passengers per day. This means the behemoth ships will not be able to enter the lagoon nor many 'mid' size ships as several carry more than 1000 passengers. The mayor went on and stated he wasn't against cruises and praised the company Ponant who uses ships carrying about 300 people and will use electric power once they enter the lagoon. Paul Gauguin Cruises and Ponant combined about 6 months ago  ....

From my other source there is also concern that Bora Bora doesn't have the infrastructure (excursion vendors) to handle the large ships and have space available for other guest visiting the island. Most large cruise ships visit one day and then they are gone but that one day can change the vibe on the island and the available excursions for others to enjoy.

I've said this now for a few years and took some heat on the South Pacific forum ... glad this is happening 🙂

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

Aranui just announced a new ship as well for 2022.  Cruise only, not a combo freighter.  Itineraries to the Gambiers, Austral Islands and Pitcairn will be a great option.  280 passengers which will put it at a similar size to PG.  Should make for some interesting options and competition. 

Is it me, or am I so used to the PG...the new ships would look so out of place in Tahiti....I love the environmental aspect and sensitive area awareness the new boat brings ...we will wait and see..I’ll enjoy our last voyage on the old ship in October ..either way I like seeing progress with PG and Ponant 

10042873-B9AE-4002-92CC-C9B0CDC42865.jpeg

I've seen a big ship in the lagoon in Bora Bora, and no, they it stuck out like a sore thumb.  It was a large Princess vessel, quite some time ago.  I'm glad to see the island putting on this limit.  I'll be there next year on a "big" ship of 700 pax, and that's even too big, I think.  But I'll take it.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer