Travel Insurance Co - Allianz, Good or Bad?

Rawswife

BG: DH and I have not had many opportunities to take vacations requiring travel insurance. Kids are mostly grown now and so we have more opportunity (and money) to travel and not just use our trailer for camping and fishing trips. 

DH and I went on a 7 day cruise in Novermber to celebrate our 25th anniversary and had so much fun, that we wanted to book another cruise. So I did, last weekend. It will be a surprise to DH, one son/his girlfriend/daughter. Oldest son and his girlfriend already know about it. 

Cruise is not until Oct 2021. DH and I will be footing the bill for all 7 of us - cruise fare, taxes/port fees and pre-paid gratuities. 

DH had some health issues last year, and I probably should have purchased insurance for our November trip. But by the time I realized it would be a really good idea, it was too late to purchase to cover his 'pre-existing' health issues. 

FF to now and knowing now what I didnt know then, and I am definitely going to purchase the insurance - especially due to the trip being so far in the future and all the players involved (am making the boys/girlfriends purchase for themselved). 

All that said to ask, has anyone had any dealings with Allianz? Good or Bad.  I booked the cruise through our travel agent at AAA, and this is the insurance/company offered by AAA.  The price is extremely reasonable but I want to make sure that I am getting good insurance. Otherwise, I can look outside of AAA and buy on my own. 

Please any advice you have on this company is welcome. TIA! 

@Rawswife

Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍  

Since your topic is travel insurance I have moved your thread to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum where it will be on-topic.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

1 hour ago, Rawswife said:

I booked the cruise through our travel agent at AAA, and this is the insurance/company offered by AAA.  The price is extremely reasonable but I want to make sure that I am getting good insurance. Otherwise, I can look outside of AAA and buy on my own. 

Please any advice you have on this company is welcome. TIA! 

Is Allianz good insurance?

If you don't need to file a claim, they're GREAT

If you need to file a claim and it's a covered reason, they're probably okay

If you need to file a claim and it's not a covered reason, then you'll probably think they suck.

Honestly, I can't tell you if they're a good company or not. It all depends on YOU. What are you insuring against and do they cover that in the event your worst nightmare come true.

What policy I get may be different than what you get. What I want to insure and what's important to me may have no worries for you. You need to read the policy and understand the policy. What constitutes a Trip Delay? Is my wifes brothers wife considered a family member? Am I covered if my diabetes medication changed last month? How much is the medical coverage? Will they pay up front if evacuation from ship is required?   All of this is in the policy.

Note: I never buy my travel insurance from my travel agent. All they do is sell it and make a commission. If I need help, they wouldn't have a clue what to do. Besides that, the medical is way too low on what they offer.

Allianz is a reputable company, but I don’t think that is what you are asking. You want to know if it will serve you well which is a question we can’t answer because we don’t know the terms of the policy or your specific needs - for all seven people.

I think this is one for Steve at tripinsurancestore.com to answer. He will be aware of pitfalls to avoid that I don’t even know about  when dealing with a group of travelers on a trip scheduled almost two years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm dealing with them right now for a cruise claim and I'll go with bad - we had a missed port, and they're refusing to pay out because of the $15 each we got back. The coverage was for £100 UK per person for a missed port. So my clam fails under clause 2 below. Now I've been on around 15 cruises and if we've ever missed a port either an alternative port has been offered, or the port taxes are refunded. In this case, it was the port taxes, and that means I can't claim the much higher amount. 

Here's the clause

Section Q1 - Missed port What you are covered for under Section Q1 We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits if your scheduled port visit is cancelled due to adverse weather or timetable restrictions. Please note: You must get written confirmation from your carrier or tour operator confirming your scheduled port visit was cancelled and the reason for the cancellation.

What you are not covered for under Section Q1

1. Any claim arising from your ship’s failure to put people ashore due to the mechanical or operational failure of the ships tender (or any other boat used to transport passengers to shore).

2. Any claim where a monetary amount, including but not limited to on board credit or other compensation, has been offered to you by the ship or tour operator.

3. Any claim where you do not have written confirmation from your carrier or tour operator confirming your scheduled port visit was cancelled.

Edited by itf