Do not use Jayride from Miami airport

kstrittm

Caveat emptor, y'all!  Quite a few folks on this board recommended Jayride for a transfer from MIA airport to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale near the Cruise Port.  I checked them out online; reviews were fairly good; prices were in range.  So I booked with them.  They sub-contracted my ride to LAX Ride (I guess they act as a broker).  So far, so good.  Right?

I texted as I left my home airport, and they confirmed that all was good and I should simply text when I landed in Miami.

Long story short, they stiffed me.  Yes, I stupidly pre-paid.  Their customer service was horrendous - they basically ignored my texts and would periodically text to say they were trying to locate a driver.  After almost 2 hours, I took a Super Shuttle (with no issues, by the way)!

Jayride never did communicate with me, but the Super Shuttle driver said that drivers hate one-way trips to Fort Lauderdale.  They can't pick up fares in FLL (a different company has that contract), so they have to drive back to Miami without picking up another fare.  So (just a guess), Jayride probably couldn't find anybody to take the trip (even though they had booked it).  

I will report them to the BBB, and I'll tell people not to use them.  It was really bad.  I'm a very positive person, but I'm extremely disappointed in their customer service.  I caution you all to use this vendor at your own risk.

Thanks...

I do not recall that company ever being mentioned on this board. Most suggestions are to use Uber or Lyft for about $35-40. 

Many of the popular FLL based shuttles (SAS, etc.)do not service the MIA airport and nearby hotels.

• Like 1

Sorry this happened  - not a great way to start a vacation.

Booking nearly anything through a consolidator - a middleman - is something to avoid (yes, even Viator, Expedia, Travelocity, etc). .  Jayride isn't doing anything except collecting your money, taking off their percentage as commission,  then sending the balance of money and information about your purchase to another company (the subcontractor).  Which leaves the sub with less money than a direct booking.  

You paid by credit card, right?  Dispute the charge through them.  Print out all of those texts AND keep them on your phone - you may need them to document the no-show.

Uber/Lyft have quickly become the cheapest, most efficient and, most reliable transport providers in many parts of the world.  Certainly,  that's the case in the USA (with the exception of two US airports that they won't service).  

Still nervous about using Uber/Lyft?  Grab a taxi at the curb (and pay significantly more).  We can't recommend Super Shuttle anymore because they went out of business on dec 31 2019.  I'm sure there are reliable private transfer and/or limousine services - I've never looked.  But book directly with them.

• Like 1

Uber and Lyft may indeed be less expensive, but I don't feel safe using them.  The drivers are not bonded - they only have to show a valid drivers' license and proof that their auto is insured (don't even have to have medical coverage for victims in case of an accident).  I've seen too many of these drivers lost and confused (looking at their phones while driving).  I'm not saying that shuttle drivers are better behind the wheel, but at least their company will cover insurance issues.  Lyft and Uber deny all plausibility and will not get involved in the event of an accident.

I was surprised to see Super Shuttle as well.  The driver said he's heard rumors that they may shut down, but he hasn't heard anything official yet.

35 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

Uber and Lyft may indeed be less expensive, but I don't feel safe using them.  The drivers are not bonded - they only have to show a valid drivers' license and proof that their auto is insured (don't even have to have medical coverage for victims in case of an accident).  I've seen too many of these drivers lost and confused (looking at their phones while driving).  I'm not saying that shuttle drivers are better behind the wheel, but at least their company will cover insurance issues.  Lyft and Uber deny all plausibility and will not get involved in the event of an accident.

I was surprised to see Super Shuttle as well.  The driver said he's heard rumors that they may shut down, but he hasn't heard anything official yet.

I respectfully disagree. And you ended up in a bad situation because of your reluctance to use rideshare. Chances are nearly 100% your rideshare experience would've been MUCH MORE positive.

I am not a lawyer and rideshare issues depend on States and Cities and Counties but in general, 

If the accident occurs during the course of your trip and your ride-sharing driver is at fault, you are covered under a $1 million liability policy that Uber and Lyft have through James River Insurance. You can also contact a lawyer who specialize in rideshare accidents and you will get all the help you need. If someone else was at fault - well, then we know what to do, right?

You also have the benefit of evaluations. Each driver get evaluated by every passenger. You do not get that with drivers from transport companies!

And so on - these rideshare companies have been in business for a long time now and the issues you mentioned are well-understood by the legal community, the drivers and the riders.

You will be just fine using Rideshare!

• Like 2

I've never heard of jayride.  Sounds like some janky little outfit.

I only use Uber and Lyft.

FWIW, the BBB is a useless entity.  They are a marketing firm.  They do not have squat to do with anything and most businesses ignore them.

Edited by BlueHerons

On 1/27/2020 at 10:27 AM, jkgourmet said:

SS is still servicing about 10 airports, including WPB and MIA.  Not that I would count on them actually being there.  

I used them a few weeks ago, no problem.