New to HAL sailing on Nieuw Statendam

tma6973

We will be on the February 23, 2020 sailing and looking forward to our first cruise with Holland America! I have a silly question- does this ship have self serve soft ice cream stations? We have watched a few videos and I didn’t see any. Seems silly but that is something I look forward to. Thank you in advance for your help!

No SELF Serve ice cream on HAL’s fleet.  They serve all soft or other.   Nieuw Statendam has dips of ice cream in Lido (Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry) and Gelato available in many flavors on pool deck.  Gelato is a ‘upcharge’ item but is like $2. for very generous scoops.  

Thank you. We have to have gluten free ice cream cones and I always bring them. Hasn’t been an issue bc it’s been self serve. Hopefully I can give them our unopened boxes and they can set them aside for us. 

55 minutes ago, tma6973 said:

Thank you. We have to have gluten free ice cream cones and I always bring them. Hasn’t been an issue bc it’s been self serve. Hopefully I can give them our unopened boxes and they can set them aside for us. 

Just be sure they reglove so they don’t cross contaminate.   HAL is fantastic with food.  My granddaughter is celiac and has to be GF.  The ships restaurants have been SO much better than on land!  You do need to contact ships services before you cruise unless this is just a preference. They will provide you menus the night before and help you choose and then prepare gf. 

Thank you! My husband is celiac so we will be sure to watch for glove changes. He did call and have it put on our file. I’m glad to hear they are very good about it. We have sailed with NCL since my husband’s diagnosis and they were also very good about it. He did not get sick! We were very happy with the way NCL handled gf. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

We were on the Nieuw Statendam a month ago.  Ice cream was available in the buffet each day.  They had chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry as well as the flavor of the day.  Soft serve was also available there.   It was all very

delicious.

Edited by earlydiner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nemo2005 said:

@*Miss G* thanks for the menus.  What do you think makes the daily special so much more than the rest of the drinks?

Good question!  I’ve only ever had the Americano with an extra shot but I’m guessing it has a liqueur or something in it.  I did have a chai latte with amaretto, once, when I was chilly.  It was good.