I've heard about "towel animals", but this I can't believe!

HeatherInFlorida

Gotta remember HAL's demographic---some of us have had heart failure! I'd hate to toddle in at 2:00 A.M. and see a "person" sitting there in the dark.

Might be enough to send me off to the eternal cruise with the ever-calm seas and no weight gain! :eek:

Ruth! LOL!:D What a picture. Can you imagine if you're in an inside cabin, throw on the lights and :eek: ...... somebody's sleeping in MY bed!!! Could do us in.

Randy, lougee ... me, too. Nobody touches MY stuff. I'll unpack myself, thank you. It's silly, I know, and if I'd been born with a silver spoon in my mouth I might feel better about it.

As it is, I won't even pay anyone to clean my house because I don't want them fussing around my "stuff". I'd have to do such a thorough cleaning job before they arrived, it wouldn't be worth it!;) .

TEHO!!:D

We were on ROTS a few years ago and got our first taste of towel animals, having previously only sailed on HAL. One night we returned to the cabin to find a "man" in the bed, wearing DH's hat, glasses, tux jacket, reading DH's magazine with his (we thought, well hidden) bottle of scotch at his side. We thought it funny and weren't in the least disturbed by it, even tho we are pretty private people.

Just returned last night from the Oosterdam where we received a towel elephant, puppy, monkey and swan. No man in the "dam" bed however.

Towel animals are one thing. But this would severely cross the line in my book. Using sunglasses or a hat that was left sitting out wouldn't bother me. But going into drawers or closets and messing with clothing is just too "familiar" for my liking.

There has got to be something terribly wrong with me. I really think I have a great sense of humor, enjoy a joke on me, etc. But I just read shonuf's post and I'm amazed!

Here they've messed up the tux jacket and obviously done quite a thorough search for the Scotch!!! You have to wonder a bit if it's not their little joke on us (like ... "you really thought you hid this Scotch???")

What is ROTS??? I'm scratching my head on that one and I want to put it on my "do not cruise" list:rolleyes: !!!

Lou - Carey wouldn't think of having anybody unpack her stuff, nor would I for that matter. Pissant....I mean Vasant....our butler on Galaxy was hardly civil enough to bring us coffee, heaven forbid we'd asked him to do much more than that. OK....maybe that's not totally fair for me to say....let's just say he did what he needed to do and not much more. :rolleyes:

How long ago were you on Galaxy? I swear our Vasant on Century matches. We were on Century 1/12/06. We rarely saw him and when we did he talked of "you are in a suite" as if we needed convincing. ha Never smiled. Good looking from the Philippines, about 5'7? Discouraged us from ordering meals in the room, "more choices, many more choices at the buffet."

We had the same thing happen on RCI's Rhapsody of the seas. They made a woman sitting on the end of the bed. They took towels, a throw pillow for the head put on my beach hat and sunglasses and had my robe on her as clothes. We thought it was a hoot and loved it. It took time for the steward to do it. I will try to locate the picture we took of it and post.

What's described above would not concern me in the least - what's implied in the original post would infuriate me. Like Peaches I'd be complaining in no uncertain terms!

We each have a great sense of humor but tampering with personal clothing (xcluding hats and sunglasses) is a definite NO NO. Doubt that HAL stewards would be part of such a thing.

Hope you can find the picture Jeano222.

:)

We were on the Galaxy out of Galveston in March 2005 so Vasant easily could have moved ships. Go here to our homepage http://www.geocities.com/theklugspage/galaxy.htm , Vasant is in the first set of pictures. Let the page load completely and you can then scroll through the pictures and he'll come up. Sounds like him.....kind of an attitude....like he was doing us a favor by even being there. He warmed up a bit toward the end of the cruise but I always thought he was fishing for the tip. The one thing he did that was great was talk us into experiencing the canal locks from the stern of the ship. Comfortable with coffee and breakfast close by and we were able to sit at a table right at the railing. He was right about that.

What nice pictures of your cruise! Your accomodations were spectacular. I was viewing the picture of your verandah, and I just kept thinking...our cabin on the Norwegian Sea was the size of that verandah :D.... Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Thanks Herb. It was a great cabin. Luckily I booked it way ahead of the cruise, before Celebrity cut off the discounters, and got a great deal. Being able to drive to the port was also a factor. It was nice not to have to fork out several hundred dollars for plane tickets and put that money into a nicer cabin. Probably a once in a lifetime experience though a Royal Suite on Celebrity is truly one of the fantastic cabins in the industry.

There has got to be something terribly wrong with me. I really think I have a great sense of humor, enjoy a joke on me, etc. But I just read shonuf's post and I'm amazed!

Here they've messed up the tux jacket and obviously done quite a thorough search for the Scotch!!! You have to wonder a bit if it's not their little joke on us (like ... "you really thought you hid this Scotch???")

What is ROTS??? I'm scratching my head on that one and I want to put it on my "do not cruise" list:rolleyes: !!!

Heather,

In this case ROTS was the Rhapsody and like I said at the time we didn't think anything about it. After reading this thread, I probably would have a different reaction. We were just amazed at how realistic it looked! Unfortunately, I no longer have the photo. Loaned the scrapbook out and someone else threw it away. (I loaned it to my doctor's nurse and it disappeared about the same time an employee was fired. So we think she threw it out thinking it was the nurse's.)

[b]RuthC said:[/b] [quote]I'd hate to toddle in at 2:00 A.M. and see a "person" sitting there in the dark. Might be enough to send me off to the eternal cruise with the ever-calm seas and no weight gain![/quote] One cruise, my share was an old guy who told me he had heart problems. I came in real late the second night and there he was, laid out on his bed, covered with a sheet. "Holy fecal matter!" I thought. "The old guy's went and left us!" As it turned out, that's just how he sleeps.

[quote name='Randyk47']......................though a Royal Suite on Celebrity is truly one of the fantastic cabins in the industry.[/quote]

Friends of our had one of these on the Summit for our Panama Canal cruise. What an amazing suite! Now THAT is a suite!!!:)

I have a recurring dream that I die and land in a Celebrity Royal Suite.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:p

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']It turned out the cabin stewards had taken some of their clothes and "stuffed" them (with towels and pillows) creating life-size "people"!!!!
[/QUOTE]
Can't say I ever heard of that. I just returned from my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise ... literally just returned about an hour ago ... and I can say that my cabin steward was fantastic. He made me an entire menegerie over the course of those 30 days ... an octopus, a dog, a stingray, a swan, a monkey, a snail ... and on and on. About every third night there would be a new addition waiting for me ... many of them using the nightly pillow chocolates for eyes.

But, life-sized "people?" No, can't say I had any of them.

The neatest one I had was the monkey that was waiting for me after I returned from services on morning. Usually these animals would be waiting for me at night. My steward had made a monkey ... hung it from a hanger over my bed ... with a birthday card in its paws. Really nice ... I was touched.

But, like someone else on this thread stated ... I think full-sized people would be a bit over the top. But, knowing my sense of humor, I would probably enjoy it. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Our steward made three towel animals for us during our recent VODM cruise. They are harmless enough but I can't say I got any kind of 'kick' out of them. As long as he did not use any of our personal property, then if he wishes to make them, fine. I'd rather he enjoy a few minutes off then spend time leaving them in our cabin. If we traveled with children, of course, that would make a difference.[/B]

[B]I would be very displeased if he went into a drawer or our closet and removed any of our clothing or property to use as props. I would speak with him to be sure he understood I do not wish for him to use our glasses or t-shirt or visors or anything else to create the animals.[/B]

Look in the Stool in front of the desk in your Cabin! On my last cruise on the Ryndam, Dec. 7-17, 2005, there were Animals already made, so all the Cabin Steward had to do was take them out each day and hang them from the Wall Hooks!

We came back to our cabin on Rhapsody and there was a man sitting in the chair with our bottle of champagne in one hand and remote in the other. Wearing my DH shoes, a blanket for clothes, life jacket, pillow for head with our hats on. I tried to post the picture but I just do not know how to change size.
We (I) were scared at first thinking there was a stranger in our cabin, then realized what it was. Took pictures and got a good laugh out of it.

Our cabin attendant did not use any of our clothes other than shoes & hats.
Our first cruise ever was on NCL and every night my nightgown and robe was used to make bed animals. I really did not like him using my gown but I did enjoy the animals.

We have enjoyed a "visitor" in the bed a couple of time when on RCI. We got a kick out it. The steward used my sunglasses and a safari cap for the hat, a robe for the body, a pair of slacks that I had left draped over a chair, and my dress shoes. It was good fun! He didn't have to open any drawers to get the items to make the "sculpture".
When we came into the room, I blinked and smiled, but didn't wet my pants or have a coronary. Some folks need to lighten up a little - oh never mind, this is the HAL board. (I AM in the HAL demogrpahic, but prefer RCI)

LL

Archived