Port area

cruisingTXfamily

I will be taking a cruise with my daughters in May that stops in Costa Maya.  At this point, there are no excursions that we have decided to take.  This will be our first time to Costa Maya.  Is there much in the immediate area of the port to see/do?  Thanks in advance for any info.

There port area is your typical port shopping place. There's a restaurant, couple of bars, swimming pool, small beach/sand are, but you can't enter the water.

Take the tram and go down to the beach along the malecon.  There are threads here on various beach clubs.

Or do a private excursion with The Native Choice to nearby Maya ruins.

• 2 weeks later...

The port area at Costa Maya is drop-dead gorgeous, with a lovely tropical/Mayan motif throughout. Lots of shops, many selling the touristy stuff, but some nice merch, too. Whoever built that sprawling complex sank a fortune into it. The wraparound swimming pool (with rope bridges above and a great swim-up bar, front and center) is beautiful -- and pool admission and seats are totally free. My suggestion is to grab your chairs ASAP, as they are snapped up pretty quickly. I think many couples would agree that the port area is so fun and nice, there's no reason to venture beyond that, but it's quite possible to enjoy a couple hours there, then hop a safari bus for a quick ride to the nearby village of Mahahual. Overall, Mahahual isn't sensational, but it's nice and calm. The attractions are the seaside restaurants, beach clubs, massages, bars, lovely beach views, and fair snorkeling. The entire village is very family-friendly and very very safe. The taxis from the Port to Mahahual are about $8 per cab/each way. As you travel between A and B, you can see someone with very deep pockets has huge long-term developments plans for Costa Maya. Short answer: If you really want to go to the beach, go. But the pool/port area will be quite enough for many people, and is 100% free.

Enjoy!

Edited by Moonlit Sea

Let me add: Mahahual's beach clubs offer a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Now, if you want a GREAT LOW-COST pool/beach/sun day, and IF you are also stopping in Cozumel, then take a cab to Paradise Beach. It's a 25-minute ride (maybe $23/each way/per cab) from Cozumel Port, but entrance to Paradise Beach is FREE and it's a beautiful destination: beautiful designer pool, beautiful beach views, beautiful shaded or sunny seating on nice, clean chaise loungers. The folks who run the place simply ask you to buy *one* drink, to help offset the cost of operating the facility, but I've never seen anyone monitor that. If your kids want to play on water toys, sure, that's extra, but the pay-as-you-go plan makes sense for the rest of us, who just want to idle away an afternoon in a tropical paradise. The restroom facilities there are nice and clean. Honestly, I think 99% of Cozumel visitors will think Paradise Beach is a perfect spot, but if you prefer shelling out $55+ per person for a private beach club, go for it. (Disclosure: I am not an investor in Paradise Beach.)

Edited by Moonlit Sea

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Do you realize that your question about Costa Maya is on the Cozumel board?

The thread was originally posted correctly on the Costa Maya board. Unfortunately the PP posted completely off-topic about a beach club in Cozumel, which was confusing to Costa Maya and instead of being deleted or moved to Cozumel board the whole thread got moved here, which is now even more confusing!

Edited by c-leg5

On 2/17/2020 at 4:37 PM, c-leg5 said:

The thread was originally posted correctly on the Costa Maya board. Unfortunately the PP posted completely off-topic about a beach club in Cozumel, which was confusing to Costa Maya and instead of being deleted or moved to Cozumel board the whole thread got moved here, which is now even more confusing!

While part of my response may strike some as off-topic, many of us planning our cruises look at the big picture, wondering which port is better as a beach day, which is better for an excursion, which is better for shopping or snorkeling or simply chilling in a bar/restaurants, etc. Offering comparative information might be helpful to some. Sorry for taking the OP in the wrong direction!