Scooter in standard cabin

ewreh

I am planning a last minute cruise and think that it is best to rent a scooter. I would like to have a balcony but can’t seem to find any accessible ones and the suites are more than I want to spend. Do you think that I can fit a scooter into a regular balcony? Or should I do the accessible interior? 

TIA

There are too many unknown factors. It is not the cabin as much as it is the width of the door to get in and out vs width of scooter. As soon as you have that info, you should be able to determine exactly what would work for you.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I can make sure that it fits in the door. I am just worried about floor space mostly. SO uses a crutch generally and doesn’t have the best balance. I don’t want things to be so tight that he may trip. I haven’t picked a cruise yet because I’m still trying to pick accessible or standard. Pricing is different depending on which one. Mostly Carnival, Royal, Or Celebrity. 

If you rent from scootaround, they will give you the dimensions of the scooter. Then contact special needs dept and give them the width of the scooter & your reservation number or mention what cabin you would like to book.

The size of your scooter and whether it’s folding or not has a lot to do with it. If you are on a newer ship (especially something in Oasis class or newer when it comes to Royal Caribbean)  you have a better chance of having your scooter fit. Make absolutely certain that the cabin you book has the bed or beds on the far side of the cabin, and not closer to the end of the cabin near the entrance/bathroom. You will probably have to call your cruise line accessibility department and they can check by contacting someone on the ship.  That is much safer than trying to guess if the cabin has the proper  bed placement. Even when there is usually a definite pattern, like every other cabin has beds at the far end, now and then there is some reason why a cabin might not stick to the plan.  There are often different sized cabins within the same categories such as inside, outside, balcony etc.   For example, while a regular inside cabin might be super tight or not work, one of the larger inside cabins might.   It could take at least several days to find out for sure about the cabin but the cruise line generally will work with you regarding allowing you to change & trying to find a cabin that would work if your first choice of cabin number doesn’t have the right configuration. Hope this helps & good luck!

We have never needed a mobility scooter, but we sailed a short cruise on Equinox last month, and I was amazed how much space there was in our inside cabin.  I has to have been wider than the balcony cabins we have had on S class.  A scooter would easily have fitted inside the door, and probably past the foot of the beds.

enhance

enhance

enhance

There really is more room than I’d thought (or remembered from non scooter cruises.)  My husband even bet me that he could turn the scooter around in the cabin.  (An adult beverage may have been to blame...). I collected on that bet even though he tried to amend it to he could pick it up and turn it around...)

Not all standard balcony (or other types of cabin) entryways are the same size. There are even different sizes and configurations within the inside category, for instance. When you have a particular ship in mind,  you can probably get a more exact answer.
You might also try searching online for pictures of the actual type of cabin you are looking at on the actual ship you are looking at.

16 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

Also consider:  can the scooter turn from the hallway into/out of the cabin?

Scooters are a bit like semi-trucks -- they need a bigger turning radius (as I learned the hard way).

Exactly.  I just attempted to book an inside accessible on Cunard and was advised that there were none available.

However, the door width would accommodate my scooter in a non accessible cabin.  I was just about to take it but then considered the square footage and my inability to have adequate inside parking and turn around space at only 152 sf.  It just would not work.  Door width is only one consideration for accessible needs and accommodations.