Vegan Plant Based Menu

LoryAnn

I have discovered that Oceania now has an extensive Vegan plant-based menu available in the Grand Dining Room at breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as at the Terrace Cafe.

Does anyone have any experience with this new menu option? Is it a set menu available daily at meal time or a menu that requires the guest to pre-select and pre-order in advance? I also understand that there will be  plant-based options available upon request during dinner service in each of our specialty restaurants.   Any additional info and/or feedback would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

There were quite a few of these on Riviera in December. They are on the regular menus. I was served an apple crumble with plant based ice cream by mistake for dessert. While this is not something I would normally eat(well apple crumble with ice cream is, just not the vegan plant based version) I would describe is as truly horrid. But that's just my taste. I'm sure others would love it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

I would have to agree with Orv.  On our Riviera cruise this past December, I tried a few of the plant based items just out of curiosity and I also thought they were quite nasty.  

Thanks for your response!

We haven't been aboard since the Spa vendor switch.

Previously, there were 1-2 vegan choices standalone for each course, plus the spa-branded four course healthy fixed menu.

On the spa-branded menu, at least three of the four courses were vegan, and at least 2-3 were picked/repeated from the stand-alone offerings.

I am not vegan but I like to try new food..

For my personal preference, the vegan apps/deserts were tastier than the mains.

Objectively, the vegan dishes came at the proper temperature/doneness almost every time. (Every time? I can't recall.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Is vegan the new gluten free?

Hi, any diet can be gluten free. Gluten-free is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye, and a cross between wheat and rye called triticale. A vegan diet is one that does not us animal products (dairy, eggs, meat, fish). I am not gluten free ~ I eat plant based foods. 

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

We haven't been aboard since the Spa vendor switch.

Previously, there were 1-2 vegan choices standalone for each course, plus the spa-branded four course healthy fixed menu.

On the spa-branded menu, at least three of the four courses were vegan, and at least 2-3 were picked/repeated from the stand-alone offerings.

Those on the main menu are Vegetarian  but may not be Vegan

They  a separate VEGAN menu  you have to ask for it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoryAnn said:

Hi, any diet can be gluten free. Gluten-free is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye, and a cross between wheat and rye called triticale. A vegan diet is one that does not us animal products (dairy, eggs, meat, fish). I am not gluten free ~ I eat plant based foods. 

You can look at some of the regular menus  on The preismans Blog

it will give you an idea  of what they offer  but if you want VEGAN  ask specifically  for  VEGAN options to be sure

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm#Grand

• Thanks 1

We are booked on the Regatta in May and hope that the plant based (vegan) offerings will be included in standard menu choices.  This will eliminate the need arrange menus in advance. They are promoting this option, but we will see if they actually offer it onboard. Note that the posted sample menus offer choices marked with a V for vegitarian and a leaf for vegan:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

We'll be checking with Oceania via our TA in advance of departure to confirm the process.

I"m not vegan but my husband is. This diet isn't for everyone to be sure. But, like sugar free options for diabetics, we appreciate that they recognize that many travelers -- especially in the age range that frequents Oceania -- prefer or need alternative menu choices. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

We are booked on the Regatta in May and hope that the plant based (vegan) offerings will be included in standard menu choices.  This will eliminate the need arrange menus in advance. They are promoting this option, but we will see if they actually offer it onboard. Note that the posted sample menus offer choices marked with a V for vegitarian and a leaf for vegan:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/13391/Grand-Dining-Dinner-Menu.pdf/

We'll be checking with Oceania via our TA in advance of departure to confirm the process.

I"m not vegan but my husband is. This diet isn't for everyone to be sure. But, like sugar free options for diabetics, we appreciate that they recognize that many travelers -- especially in the age range that frequents Oceania -- prefer or need alternative menu choices. 

Agreed, it is wonderful to have plant based menu while cruising ~ it is forward thinking of the cruise lines to offer various dietary options.

LoryAnn I assure you that you will be welcomed on Oceania when you cruise. The line has specifically chosen to reach out to changing dining options not only with the plant based Oceania NEXT options but with the mainstreamed spa menus and sugar free dessert options in the MDR. No one if forcing Oceania to do this. They are doing it because they believe that it makes good business sense to do so. You will be graciously received on board and be happy with a line that recognizes that not everyone has the same perception of which culinary choices define fine dining. No one on board will criticize you for your choice of that you want to eat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiseLibra said:

LoryAnn I assure you that you will be welcomed on Oceania when you cruise. The line has specifically chosen to reach out to changing dining options not only with the plant based Oceania NEXT options but with the mainstreamed spa menus and sugar free dessert options in the MDR. No one if forcing Oceania to do this. They are doing it because they believe that it makes good business sense to do so. You will be graciously received on board and be happy with a line that recognizes that not everyone has the same perception of which culinary choices define fine dining. No one on board will criticize you for your choice of that you want to eat. 

Thank you CruiseLibra, I appreciate your support ~ wise words.

1 hour ago, CruiseLibra said:

LoryAnn I assure you that you will be welcomed on Oceania when you cruise. The line has specifically chosen to reach out to changing dining options not only with the plant based Oceania NEXT options but with the mainstreamed spa menus and sugar free dessert options in the MDR.

They have always had "Spa choices" in the GDR  listed with calorie count for those that are watching their  figures 😉

I love the Lemon Chiffon dessert

lemon chiffon dessert

• Thanks 1