What makes Cunard different from other lines?

Lanky Lad

34 minutes ago, lissie said:

I don't understand your concern - I estimate 20-40% (it dropped during the cruise) of men wore jackets on smart attire nights. 

My concern is that dumbing down the dress code is usually a slippery slope and eventually leads to a much more casual experience, which to me Cunard is not.  I don't want to be the 20% that dresses up.  To me that defeats the entire purpose.  If the other 80% of the ship is casual then that is the atmosphere that will prevail.  When almost 100% of the ship is "dressing" for dinner, it creates a unique atmosphere that is simply not duplicated on other cruise lines.  I previously made all my points about what I feel sets Cunard apart, and the dress code was a big part of that.  I see no reason why Cunard has to dumb it down and be like every other cruise line out there, but unfortunately I feel it's probably inevitable as they will want to grow market share and appeal to the masses, especially with a new ship coming on line.  When that happens, my Cunard days will likely be numbered as frankly there are better choices for me personally, on what I feel are better designed ships (minus QM2) that will also offer the casual dress code.  I'll probably still sail on QM2 occasionally only because she is such a unique ship and a true ocean liner.  The other Cunard ships are cruise ships and if they become casual I might as well sail on something else.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, lissie said:

I don't understand your concern - I estimate 20-40% (it dropped during the cruise) of men wore jackets on smart attire nights. There is no one saying you can't wear a tux every night, and even I found  myself deciding  that  I should swap shorts for trousers when dancing in the afternoons in the Queens Room - it just seemed right for the decor.  The reality is that even  "locals" can have flights on arrival - its a 3 hours flight to Perth or NZ from Sydney. Some  of our table mates were doing 16 hours in economy to Dallas tomorrow.  Travelling with large cases is miserable - and in some cases expensive.  I'm thinking without needing the second jacket - he can wear one - we can both get back to carry on sized bags next time. So much  easier!  

lissie I am pleased you had a good time but I also understand the concern regular Cunard lovers have regarding changing the dress code.

When I started on Seabourn 10 years ago there formal nights, now there are formal optional and no jackets required on the smart attire. Now my husband likes to wear jackets of various colours on smart attire nights. On our last couple of cruises which had a number of Australians onboard we had people looking at us oddly and even making comments such as "who are you trying to impress?" Luckily there were also a few others who were not that rude so we had a good time with them. 

So it makes us modify what we take on our cruise depending on who are likely fellow travellers will be. It isn't as easy as just dress up if you want to.

Julie

• Like 1

Getting back to the original topic, we are Americans who love the “pomp and circumstance” that goes along with the Cunard cruises. We don’t do all of our cruises on Cunard, but we do enjoy the ones that we have taken.  When we cruise on Cunard,we don’t mind dressing up, it’s part of the experience...we ship our formal clothes ahead of time so we have less luggage to lug...lol.  Sorry for the bad pun.  

Dealing with their antiquated systems related to the website and on line check-in does require patience but I guess we are used to it now.  I love the packet that they send out with the cruise info and  luggage tags, it’s old fashioned but this luggage tags are sturdy compared with the computer paper printed ones that we have to laminate or otherwise protect them in plastic tag holders. 

We find that the Grilles dining rooms have very good food/menus/ service, but Britannia food and menus can’t compete with Celebrity Cruises MDR, which would be comparable in price for us. We like the fact that we can always find someplace to go and sit and play cards or read, the ships never seem overcrowded.   We also like the fact that there are real dance floors, as so many other cruise lines have shrunk the dance floors or eliminated them altogether. 

The most unique experience we had that defines Cunard:

Last July we were on QE2 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Queen Mary was there the same day.  At the end of the day as the two ships left the port, they did a special “Sail away” and passed each other in the harbor, saluting  each other with their horns. Also there were tugs shooting water/water cannons and it was wonderful to watch.  It was a bit like a parade with 2 ships and a few tugboats.  It’s not something you see every day on Cunard, and you certainly don’t see it with other cruise lines.

So Cunard is not for everyone, but different strokes for different folks...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 12:23 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

It wasn't just those lines that had physically separate classes; surely they all did? I remember the P&O ships from the late '60's and early '70's having a door or gate and separate decks for each travel class.

Why don't people kick off about separate areas of a plane by class? Or even a theatre? People want to have a choice of how much they pay and what sort of experience they get for it. People like to have the choice.

I emigrated to Australia with my parents as ten pound poms in the very early 60's. I seem to remember my mum saying it was the P and O Orcades? My mum and I (I was almost three years old) shared a cabin with some Dutch women and my dad shared with some other men. This really was like travelling steerage. This cruise will be my first with P and O since then. We like Princess cruises but at the end of the day it is the itinerary and price which will decide us. 

Edited by Deborahw58

We patronize Cunard because it is not Vegas at sea.  Cunard has a ship history.  Cunard is a bit formal.

Also we enjoy the slight formality of the staff and that the staff do not plead for ratings like on Celebrity.

Also there is less pressure to purchase stuff like on Celebrity.

With many cruise lines going "Vegas" - Cunard and the premium/luxury lines as well, are the last stand as it were of the original vision of ship travel.

While I have some concerns about Cunard, food quality in Britannia and Buffet, it is a gracious line.

• Like 1